[SOLVED] Pops in audio
I've installed this on a Dell Netbook connected to an Arcam irDAC. Everything works fine but am getting pops during playback. Device parameters say "closed." Any thoughts?

(07-Oct-2016, 06:49 AM)zackthedog Wrote: I've installed this on a Dell Netbook connected to an Arcam irDAC. Everything works fine but am getting pops during playback. Device parameters say "closed." Any thoughts?

Just pops or is there music? What audio player are you using? Can you take screencaps of your home tab, hardware tab and the software tab so I know what the devices are, the firmware version, and what software you're using?

Also, what music format are you using? PCM redbook, PCM highres, DSD, etc.

Cheers.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(07-Oct-2016, 07:47 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(07-Oct-2016, 06:49 AM)zackthedog Wrote: I've installed this on a Dell Netbook connected to an Arcam irDAC. Everything works fine but am getting pops during playback. Device parameters say "closed." Any thoughts?

Just pops or is there music? What audio player are you using? Can you take screencaps of your home tab, hardware tab and the software tab so I know what the devices are, the firmware version, and what software you're using?

Cheers.

It was the new firmware.  I did a clean install and everything works fine.  I'll send a screen shot when I get home.

(08-Oct-2016, 01:11 AM)zackthedog Wrote:
(07-Oct-2016, 07:47 AM)agent_kith Wrote:

Cheers.

It was the new firmware.  I did a clean install and everything works fine.  I'll send a screen shot when I get home.

Okay, I lied. :-)  Still getting pops.  Using mpd .19 but it doesn't help if I change players.  Am I using the wrong version?
[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_10_07_at_3_53_49_PM.png]

What about the hardware and software tabs?

Pop likely means packet dropout so there is a bottleneck somewhere when sending music to your network device.

(08-Oct-2016, 07:29 AM)agent_kith Wrote: What about the hardware and software tabs?
Pop likely means packet dropout so there is a bottleneck somewhere when sending music to your network device.

I'm loading albums into the pre-designated "music" folder on the hard drive and playing them from there. Is that a bad idea?

It's fine. Hopefully will know more once I get the other two screenshots.

(08-Oct-2016, 01:40 PM)agent_kith Wrote: It's fine. Hopefully will know more once I get the other two screenshots.

Here they are:

[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_10_08_at_9_29_09_AM.png]

[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_10_08_at_9_28_38_AM.png]

(08-Oct-2016, 01:40 PM)agent_kith Wrote: It's fine. Hopefully will know more once I get the other two screenshots.

The first album will play fine, but then adding an album or two will start the pops.  After that all albums have pops.

(09-Oct-2016, 12:30 AM)zackthedog Wrote: The first album will play fine, but then adding an album or two will start the pops.  After that all albums have pops.
Everything seems to be fine really. Load average seems normal too. Can you click on "Top" in the web app and give me a screenshot of that as well?

Do you have the same problem with mpd-dsd-rt or mpd-v17? I wonder if this is an issue with mpd-v19.

I do notice you'd sometimes get issues with music player when mpd is doing databases updates.  if you have time, wait till the database update is complete before playing back music and see if that happens again.

I'd look at the mpd configuration on my end and see if there's any bottlenecks..