[SOLVED] Running Snakeoil as FANLESS Minimserver
Hi, sir,

I've divided an internal SSD into 3 partitions.  2G for root, 2G for swap and 25G (sda6) for data (ext4). 

Snakeoil OS is up and running, I can use its webpage interface and command line thru ssh.  I've mounted the sda6 thru web interface as /media/music/sda6.  I've deselected all music softwares except minimserver thru "Snakeoil" tab.  I also activated "Minimserver" under Music Servers thru "Music Player" tab.

Yet,
1) I can't copy file into the sda6 thru,
i) Snakeoil webpage
ii) Filezilla (can connect, see the tree, but can't copy)
iii) Synology webpage 
iv) MAC OS finder

2) I can't mount SNAKEOIL sda6/folder in sda6 in
i) Synology
ii) MAC OS

3) Minimserver seems is not running.  In the "Music Player" tab, even I've selected Minimserver and "save and restart player", every time after I re-visited this page, "Logitech Media Server" is selected but I didn't install it.  Also, my streamer can't find another Minimserver other than the Minimserver running in my Synology NAS.

Most of the time it reported something like Account privilege problems.   For the Win10, I'll try later tonight.

Or, should I use 2 internal HD, ie. 1 for system and the other for music library? 

Would you please help when you're free?  I really appreciate that. Shy
 Go to solution Reply

(13-Sep-2020, 04:42 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Hi, sir,

I've divided an internal SSD into 3 partitions.  2G for root, 2G for swap and 25G (sda6) for data (ext4). 

Snakeoil OS is up and running, I can use its webpage interface and command line thru ssh.  I've mounted the sda6 thru web interface as /media/music/sda6.  I've deselected all music softwares except minimserver thru "Snakeoil" tab.  I also activated "Minimserver" under Music Servers thru "Music Player" tab.

Yet,
1) I can't copy file into the sda6 thru,
i) Snakeoil webpage
ii) Filezilla (can connect, see the tree, but can't copy)
iii) Synology webpage 
iv) MAC OS finder

2) I can't mount SNAKEOIL sda6/folder in sda6 in
i) Synology
ii) MAC OS

3) Minimserver seems is not running.  In the "Music Player" tab, even I've selected Minimserver and "save and restart player", every time after I re-visited this page, "Logitech Media Server" is selected but I didn't install it.  Also, my streamer can't find another Minimserver other than the Minimserver running in my Synology NAS.

Most of the time it reported something like Account privilege problems.   For the Win10, I'll try later tonight.

Or, should I use 2 internal HD, ie. 1 for system and the other for music library? 

Would you please help when you're free?  I really appreciate that. Shy

Great! All problem solved themselves after re-installation.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner :( Glad it all worked out. :)
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(15-Sep-2020, 07:58 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Sad Glad it all worked out. Smile

Hi, Agent Kith, no problem at all. Don't worry. Please take care!

Btw, so far the sound is better than NAS, even I just use an old fanless pc with old ssd, plugged with recently made non-shielded rubbish dc cable, and no vibration isolation.

If you have time, would you please tell me is nfs server installed in Snake oil? And how to set the nfs permission to certain ip (ie. streamer)? Appreciated. Big Grin

(15-Sep-2020, 08:09 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Hi, Agent Kith, no problem at all. Don't worry. Please take care!

Btw, so far the sound is better than NAS, even I just use an old fanless pc with old ssd, plugged with recently made non-shielded rubbish dc cable, and no vibration isolation.

If you have time, would you please tell me is nfs server installed in Snake oil? And how to set the nfs permission to certain ip (ie. streamer)? Appreciated. Big Grin
NFS server is not installed. And I think you'll need a new kernel for this to work. I'll try and get you the kernel soonish (I'm at work right now so can't do this).

When you have that kernel, you'll still need to install some software on the Snakeoil computer. SSH into the Snakeoil computer and run:
Code:
sudo apt update; sudo apt install nfs-server

Then export the folders you want to share. Follow step 3 of this document.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

(15-Sep-2020, 08:40 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(15-Sep-2020, 08:09 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Hi, Agent Kith, no problem at all. Don't worry. Please take care!

NFS server is not installed. And I think you'll need a new kernel for this to work. I'll try and get you the kernel soonish (I'm at work right now so can't do this).

When you have that kernel, you'll still need to install some software on the Snakeoil computer. SSH into the Snakeoil computer and run:
Code:
sudo apt update; sudo apt install nfs-server

Then export the folders you want to share. Follow step 3 of this document.

Thank you very much, Agent Kith!  Please take care and your time first.  If you don't mind, please include NVMe inside.  Appreciated!!  Shy

(15-Sep-2020, 09:46 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Thank you very much, Agent Kith!  Please take care and your time first.  If you don't mind, please include NVMe inside.  Appreciated!!  Shy
Hi,

Go here, scroll all the way down and download the NAS kernel. This has NFS server, and also NVMe support. Depending on the order of your storage devices, you may or may not have problems with this new kernel. Probably a good idea to copy out /etc/fstab and paste it here so I can have a quick look at it before you switch to this kernel.
  • hkphantomgtr

(15-Sep-2020, 03:30 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(15-Sep-2020, 09:46 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Thank you very much, Agent Kith!  Please take care and your time first.  If you don't mind, please include NVMe inside.  Appreciated!!  Shy
Hi,

Go here, scroll all the way down and download the NAS kernel. This has NFS server, and also NVMe support. Depending on the order of your storage devices, you may or may not have problems with this new kernel. Probably a good idea to copy out /etc/fstab and paste it here so I can have a quick look at it before you switch to this kernel.

You're the BEST, Agent Kith!! May I share this kernel in Hiendy for more trials? Big Grin

(15-Sep-2020, 03:30 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
Hi,

Hi, Agent Kith,

I've installed the new kernel.  And I'm sorry that I can't figure out how to let my NAS to connect with Snakeoil thru NFS.  Would you please enlighten me some more when you are free?  Thanks a lot again!   Shy
[Image: 2020-09-15-213116.png][Image: 2020-09-15-213206.png]

(15-Sep-2020, 05:43 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: You're the BEST, Agent Kith!! May I share this kernel in Hiendy for more trials? Big Grin
Yup. No problems.. I havn't been to Hiendy in a while, so tired when I get back.. Sad

(15-Sep-2020, 09:33 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: I've installed the new kernel.  And I'm sorry that I can't figure out how to let my NAS to connect with Snakeoil thru NFS.  Would you please enlighten me some more when you are free?  Thanks a lot again!   Shy
I'll try and put up a quick wiki on how to get this done.. Will let you know when it's ready.
  • hkphantomgtr