[SOLVED] Support for RME 9632 PCI Soundcard
(29-Oct-2016, 05:37 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Most players are setup for direct hardware access. Seems if you want to get this working will need some changes to the original templates.

Instead of using hw access you have to configure everything in alsa the alsa conf then use ALSA:default as your audio device.

Okay, thanks. So i have to edit alsa.conf or .asoundrc to enable sound from MPD or Squeezelite in snakeoil? Is that because the OS use the alsa audio device instead of direct hardware?
I tried Daphile earlier, and the two amixer routing commands worked for it and I got audio from its Squeezelite player. So i guess it's not the player.

(30-Oct-2016, 04:27 PM)Jhya Wrote: Okay, thanks. So i have to edit alsa.conf or .asoundrc to enable sound from MPD or Squeezelite in snakeoil? Is that because the OS use the alsa audio device instead of direct hardware?
Snakeoil players are configured to use direct hardware, and that is what i'm guessing is not working.

(30-Oct-2016, 04:27 PM)Jhya Wrote: I tried Daphile earlier, and the two amixer routing commands worked for it and I got audio from its Squeezelite player. So i guess it's not the player.
What audio device did you use in daphile for squeezelite? is it something like hw:x,y?
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(30-Oct-2016, 05:45 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(30-Oct-2016, 04:27 PM)Jhya Wrote: Okay, thanks. So i have to edit alsa.conf or .asoundrc to enable sound from MPD or Squeezelite in snakeoil? Is that because the OS use the alsa audio device instead of direct hardware?
Snakeoil players are configured to use direct hardware, and that is what i'm guessing is not working.
(30-Oct-2016, 04:27 PM)Jhya Wrote: I tried Daphile earlier, and the two amixer routing commands worked for it and I got audio from its Squeezelite player. So i guess it's not the player.
What audio device did you use in daphile for squeezelite? is it something like hw:x,y?

This is what I get from daphile:

daphile ~ # squeezelite -l
Output devices:
  null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
  default:CARD=Dummy             - Dummy, Dummy PCM - Default Audio Device
  sysdefault:CARD=Dummy          - Dummy, Dummy PCM - Default Audio Device
  default:CARD=DSP               - Hammerfall DSP, RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632 - Default Audio Device
  sysdefault:CARD=DSP            - Hammerfall DSP, RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632 - Default Audio Device

(31-Oct-2016, 07:58 AM)Jhya Wrote: This is what I get from daphile:

daphile ~ # squeezelite -l
Output devices:
  null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
  default:CARD=Dummy             - Dummy, Dummy PCM - Default Audio Device
  sysdefault:CARD=Dummy          - Dummy, Dummy PCM - Default Audio Device
  default:CARD=DSP               - Hammerfall DSP, RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632 - Default Audio Device
  sysdefault:CARD=DSP            - Hammerfall DSP, RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632 - Default Audio Device
Yup, that's what I suspect this card needs to get going, i.e. use something like ALSA:default instead of hw:0,0. I'd see if I can do a quick workaround in the next release to enable this.

If you only have one audio card in the system ALSA:default should in theory pick your RME card as the default output device straightaway and the amixer settings is all you'd need to get audio out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • Jhya

Thanks Agent Kith! I look forward to seeing MPD and Squeezelite working on this card! I'm running Deadbeef with SPDIF coaxial out of it right now and the sound is amazing, so organic without any digital harshness.

(01-Nov-2016, 12:08 PM)Jhya Wrote: Thanks Agent Kith! I look forward to seeing MPD and Squeezelite working on this card! I'm running Deadbeef with SPDIF coaxial out of it right now and the sound is amazing, so organic without any digital harshness.
Will hopefully get this done by the next release.

Do you know if this card do I2S out? And if yes, DSD out via I2S (be it DoP or native)?

(01-Nov-2016, 12:35 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(01-Nov-2016, 12:08 PM)Jhya Wrote: Thanks Agent Kith! I look forward to seeing MPD and Squeezelite working on this card! I'm running Deadbeef with SPDIF coaxial out of it right now and the sound is amazing, so organic without any digital harshness.
Will hopefully get this done by the next release.

Do you know if this card do I2S out? And if yes, DSD out via I2S (be it DoP or native)?
The card only has SPDIF/AES output up to 24/192 and I don't believe it supports DSD. I didn't try AES because my DAC does not have that; I have an Audio-GD NOS 11. I think for I2S out, we're looking at Pink Faun. Do you have any experience with that card in linux?

(01-Nov-2016, 01:05 PM)Jhya Wrote: The card only has SPDIF/AES output up to 24/192 and I don't believe it supports DSD. I didn't try AES because my DAC does not have that; I have an Audio-GD NOS 11. I think for I2S out, we're looking at Pink Faun. Do you have any experience with that card in linux?
Unfortunately not. There's a kernel that supports HDAudio (Pink Faun uses HD Audio), and apparently it works, but alas that card don't do DSD.

I tried the new firmware v0.1.5-pre-release-20161203, but MPD or Squeezelite still do not work. Do I need to ssh in and change the player settings?
Deadbeef still working fine as before.

(07-Dec-2016, 03:49 AM)Jhya Wrote: I tried the new firmware v0.1.5-pre-release-20161203, but MPD or Squeezelite still do not work. Do I need to ssh in and change the player settings?
Deadbeef still working fine as before.
Havn't updated the manuals yet. With MPD, add the following in the configuration text box beside your MPD player of choice:
Code:
device "default"

(If you have more than one entry in the configuration, seperate them with semi-colon ';').

Click save and you should hear something play now.

Squeezelite is still hardware access only so this trick wouldn't work. I have created an issue for this and will work on this once I get the chance.