[SOLVED] Trouble mounting NAS
I seem to be having trouble getting MPD to see my NAS. It's a 4TB Seagate Personal Cloud. I've tried NFS and CIFS. I can see the new folder when I update the database in the WebClient, but there's nothing inside. The folder structure is NAS/Public/Music, with Classical and Jazz folders therein. Here's what I've tried:

//IPAddress/Public with "External" as the mount in Cifs

or

IPAdress:/Public (or /Public/Music) in nfs.

Am I doing this wrong, or not waiting long enough for MPD to read 4TB, or what? Thanks for any suggestions.

First of all, thank you for using Snakeoil OS, hopefully we can resolve this issue you have.
(26-Jul-2016, 11:45 PM)zackthedog Wrote: I seem to be having trouble getting MPD to see my NAS. It's a 4TB Seagate Personal Cloud. I've tried NFS and CIFS. I can see the new folder when I update the database in the WebClient, but there's nothing inside. The folder structure is NAS/Public/Music, with Classical and Jazz folders therein. Here's what I've tried:

//IPAddress/Public with "External" as the mount in Cifs

or

IPAdress:/Public (or /Public/Music) in nfs.

Am I doing this wrong, or not waiting long enough for MPD to read 4TB, or what? Thanks for any suggestions.
There are some potential reasons why the musics can't be seen. First of all, verify that the share is mounted, you will know if the share is mounted if shows up in the free part of the table in the Music Library tab like so:
[Image: network_mount.png]
Make sure you see your share mounted as in the picture above.

Permissions issue
The file permissions of your NAS may not be set up correctly. To verify this, from another computer, try and connect to the Windows network share of your snakeoil computer. If you are using Windows, start Windows Explorer and type \\snakeoil_machine or \\ip_address in the address bar. You should see two share folders - playlists and music

Click on the music share and verify the files are present, and if you can play them (i.e. READ permission)

File Container Incompatibility
Your music files are not DSF/DFF, WAV, FLAC or Apple formats (ALAC/AIFF). For best SQ results, MPD is custom compiled to support only a few choice formats. If possible, re-transcode your music library to the above, or tell me what codec you're using.

Need to refresh database
You correctly identified one potential issue is the time taken to refresh the database. MPD allows you to play music that is already indexed even while scanning is happening. To check if this is the case, go to your favourite MPD client, and find the option to refresh database. If the share is mounted with the proper permissions and there are supported file formats, you should see music files in a minute (usually within 15 seconds).
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!