[SOLVED] Xonar ST - There is no sound output from s/pdif
I'm using the Xonar ST card. After the start of the OS there is no sound at the output from s/pdif. It is necessary to run the alsamxer and manually disable the option "s/pdif loopback". This option is also turned on when you press "Music Player"-"Set Volume to 100%". 
Is it possible to disable the option "s/pdif loopback"  when the OS starts?

(04-Mar-2018, 07:38 PM)somiac Wrote: I'm using the Xonar ST card.After the start of the OS there is no sound at the output from s/pdif.It is necessary to run the alsamxer and manually disable the option "s/pdif loopback". This option is also turned on when you press "Music Player"-"Set Volume to 100%". Is it possible to disable the option "s/pdif loopback"  when the OS starts?
Hmm. Not sure that can be done in general, although it should be pretty easy to do this just for the Xonar ST (or STX).

Only have the STX kept in storage somewhere (All ST are sold out in my area) so hopefully the same controls will work for the ST.

Will let you know if I get this done. After you have manually adjusted the volumes in alsamixer, does the settings get lost on reboot? I havn't checked this myself (as my audio device has no settable controls), so wasn't aware settings aren't saved by default.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(04-Mar-2018, 08:24 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(04-Mar-2018, 07:38 PM)somiac Wrote: I'm using the Xonar ST card.After the start of the OS there is no sound at the output from s/pdif.It is necessary to run the alsamxer and manually disable the option "s/pdif loopback". This option is also turned on when you press "Music Player"-"Set Volume to 100%". Is it possible to disable the option "s/pdif loopback"  when the OS starts?
Hmm. Not sure that can be done in general, although it should be pretty easy to do this just for the Xonar ST (or STX).

Only have the STX kept in storage somewhere (All ST are sold out in my area) so hopefully the same controls will work for the ST.

Will let you know if I get this done. After you have manually adjusted the volumes in alsamixer, does the settings get lost on reboot? I havn't checked this myself (as my audio device has no settable controls), so wasn't aware settings aren't saved by default. 

When the OS is reboot, the settings made in the alsamixer are lost.

Good afternoon. Did you manage to save the settings of the alsamixer when the OS was rebooted?

(17-Mar-2018, 10:40 PM)somiac Wrote: Good afternoon.Did you manage to save the settings of the alsamixer when the OS was rebooted?

Snakeoil is already doing this. it will call 'alsactl store' on shutdown, and 'alsactl restore' on startup.

Can you SSH into the computer, adjust your mixer settings, and then run 'alsactl store'. Did it complain? Next restart the computer, and then go to the alsamixer again, are they not saved?

(18-Mar-2018, 07:13 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(17-Mar-2018, 10:40 PM)somiac Wrote: Good afternoon.Did you manage to save the settings of the alsamixer when the OS was rebooted?

Snakeoil is already doing this. it will call 'alsactl store' on shutdown, and 'alsactl restore' on startup.

Can you SSH into the computer, adjust your mixer settings, and then run 'alsactl store'. Did it complain? Next restart the computer, and then go to the alsamixer again, are they not saved? 

Some of the settings are actually saved. I think the reason is that when you start the OS, the command "Set Volume ty 100%" is executed. This sets the maximum volume level and enables the "s/pdif loopback" option. I see this when I execute "Music Player" - "Set Volume to 100%".
Is it possible to perform this function at the start of the OS to make settings?

(19-Mar-2018, 12:15 AM)somiac Wrote: Some of the settings are actually saved.I think the reason is that when you start the OS, the command "Set Volume ty 100%" is executed.This sets the maximum volume level and enables the "s/pdif loopback" option.I see this when I execute "Music Player" - "Set Volume to 100%".Is it possible to perform this function at the start of the OS to make settings?
On startup, this is called:
Code:
alsactl restore

And on shutdown, this is called:
Code:
alsactl store
So in theory, the settings should be saved (assuming alsactl works correctly).

Later this weekend I'm gonna dig up my STX and see if I can replicate this problem.

Finally found the card. Will hopefully be able to install it tonight (if not tomorrow), once the card is up and running, i'd be able to troubleshoot what the problem is, and fix the bug.

Apologies for the delay - my whole week felt like this: [Image: dying.gif]. Actually the whole year felt like this, hopefully things will look up soon.

The next version of Snakeoil will leave S/PDIF Loopback as muted. Tested with the STX, hopefully this will work on the ST.

(02-Apr-2018, 10:38 AM)agent_kith Wrote: The next version of Snakeoil will leave S/PDIF Loopback as muted. Tested with the STX, hopefully this will work on the ST.
Thank you for not forgetting. Problem solved. After running the "alsactl store" command, the configuration has been saved and is now loaded as needed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes somiac's post:
  • agent_kith