[SOLVED] no audio thru toslink
Hi, 

I cant figure it out why I have no signal using toslink, everything sort of works using hiface two usb>spdif but I have strong crackling with some lossless files (I've had same problem with hiface with xpenology, while windows and mac are just fine)

thanks in advance
-m

[Image: Sn_mka.png]

Think What's the specs of the computer? Are you using a notebook? If yes, is the power plugged in?
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

sorry, forgot to mention, its an intel d2700dc itx mobo, pci slot empty, I'm pretty sure that toslink works bcz I was using it on windows. Data flows from synology ds211, I've tryied audiostation and minimserver, same result, toslink dead, hiface two crackling as hell with 24/96 and up lossless files, but when I connect hiface to surface pro, everything works perfectly

(06-Dec-2017, 06:35 PM)micindev Wrote: sorry, forgot to mention, its an intel d2700dc itx mobo, pci slot empty, I'm pretty sure that toslink works bcz I was using it on windows. Data flows from synology ds211, I've tryied audiostation and minimserver, same result, toslink dead, hiface two crackling as hell with 24/96 and up lossless files, but when I connect hiface to surface pro, everything works perfectly
I wonder if the TOSLINk output is muted by default. Can you click on the "Unmute" button in the SnakeoilApp and see how it goes? If still not working, please generate a diagnostics file, and attach that to me in a PM.

As for hiface crackling, still not sure what is the cause yet. Are you saying it works fine with 44.1, just not higher? Can you click 'TOP' in the Snakeoil WebApp system menu, and tell me what processes are hogging the CPUs?

by SnakeoilApp you mean web interface? if yes, i just cant find unmute button, can you please navigate me?

CPU load looks to be very low, I havent seen any throttling while playing 24/96, diagnosis file sended via pm

and, yes, cracling occurs only while playing 24/96 and up files.... 44.1 flacs are fine
[Image: Sn_mka.png]

It's in "Music Player" menu. There is a button that says "Set Volume to 100%". Click that and see what happens.
Do you see a red light in the optical output?

Seems Roon is still running. Can you SSH into your computer, and then run:
Code:
sudo systemctl stop roonbridge
sudo systemctl disable roonbridge

Second step, we need to check first if it's a NAS issue (I don't think so, but let's try that anyway). To do this unmount the NAS share, and then copy a single file over to the the music shared folder. Now try and play that high res music, does it work well?

If it's still a problem. Try and use Squeezelite + LMS. Does it still have a problem?

hitting button that says "Set Volume to 100%" doesnt make any change and I dont see red light comming from toslink port - not sure if I every seen red light since I've installed snakeoil - driver problem maybe? maybe easiest way would be complete reinstall and report back tomorrow.

I've just connected hiface two to synology nas and I have same crackling issue, so it looks like dac is having hard time to decode anything higher than 44.1khz (maybe windows/osx driver is able to downsample according to maximum supported bitrate/frequency?) 

after complete reinstall I'll get back to you.

thank you for your time

(09-Dec-2017, 08:15 AM)micindev Wrote: hitting button that says "Set Volume to 100%" doesnt make any change and I dont see red light comming from toslink port - not sure if I every seen red light since I've installed snakeoil - driver problem maybe? maybe easiest way would be complete reinstall and report back tomorrow.
If you don't see a red light, it's likely the S/PDIF output is still muted. If you can, SSH to the machine, and run
Code:
sudo alsamixer

Now press the 'F5' key and go through the list out output. Find one that says 'digital out', 's/pdif' or anything similar, see if you see the text 'MM' undeneath it. If yes, press 'm' to remove that, and now look at the port and check if you see the red light.

(09-Dec-2017, 08:15 AM)micindev Wrote: I've just connected hiface two to synology nas and I have same crackling issue, so it looks like dac is having hard time to decode anything higher than 44.1khz (maybe windows/osx driver is able to downsample according to maximum supported bitrate/frequency?) 

after complete reinstall I'll get back to you.

thank you for your time
Don't think you need to reinstall. Linux is not like Windows or OSX, it will just work. Big Grin

Probably should have mentioned this earlier: Hiface requires a custom kernel, have you upgraded to that custom kernel yet? See this post, and scroll down till you see Hiface. Download that kernel, install it on your Snakeoil OS computer, and reboot. Refer to this chapter on how to upload a kernel.

So i did ran alsamixer and there was 3 toslink outputs - 16bit, pcm and one without description, all of them at 00 and I was unable to rise them up, I did tryied to hit "m" which muted them and then again, just to set them all back to 00 - but I was able to change output volume on analogue outputs.

hiface custom kernel does not work at all, no audio output from usb using mpd or upmpdcli (tracks wont play at all, not an audio volume issue) - as far as I know, first gen hiface usb>spdif interface was driver dependant, but second gen hiface "two" should be driverless, thus shouldnt require custom kernel, but thats only what I found on google... 

how do I roll back to stock kernel? I was unable to find it on forum

(10-Dec-2017, 03:01 AM)micindev Wrote: So i did ran alsamixer and there was 3 toslink outputs - 16bit, pcm and one without description, all of them at 00 and I was unable to rise them up, I did tryied to hit "m" which muted them and then again, just to set them all back to 00 - but I was able to change output volume on analogue outputs.
So S/PDIF works now?
Hopefully onboard audio devices are better now. But there was a time they are locked at 48 kHz and it's multiples. And they don't resample PCM to match those rates. Meaning when you are playing 44.1 kHz music the contents will be played slightly at 48 kHz, raising the pitch slightly as a result.

(10-Dec-2017, 03:01 AM)micindev Wrote: hiface custom kernel does not work at all, no audio output from usb using mpd or upmpdcli (tracks wont play at all, not an audio volume issue) - as far as I know, first gen hiface usb>spdif interface was driver dependant, but second gen hiface "two" should be driverless, thus shouldnt require custom kernel, but thats only what I found on google... 
The Mytek kernel also includes the standard USB audio driver. Before you reset back to the stock kernel, clear all the configured audio devices in 'music player', and then add the audio device and try again. There may be no sound because the wrong card, deviice was used.

(10-Dec-2017, 03:01 AM)micindev Wrote: how do I roll back to stock kernel? I was unable to find it on forum
Start the Snakeoil OS WebApp, go to the snakeoil menu. There is an option called kernel, and you can pick from the drop down box the kernel you want. Hit the 'Save' button after you have made the selection, then go to the 'System' menu and press the 'Reboot' button.