[SOLVED] nvme storage not found during installation steps - Intel NUC
(08-Oct-2020, 12:28 PM)emptor Wrote: Hope you are ok @agent_kith ? Haven't heard from you for a few days.
Yeah.. I havn't been online in the last 2-3 days. Tongue

Honestly contemplating quitting my job, but given covid, and the fact I'm 44 (Finding a new job is more difficult in my age group), plus Josh says he's bringing in tax cuts early.... Quitting now is a very silly idea.

Things are really crazy at the moment, and I'm not sure they realise yet that I'm not the problem here.

(08-Oct-2020, 12:28 PM)emptor Wrote: Getting my NUC running is secondary to what's going on in this crazy world these days, especially here in Melbourne.
Yeah. I'm glad I'm in WA to be honest. Nobody here seem to observe COVID protocols any more here (even simple things like 1.5 m apart), which frankly adds to my frustration. But having said that, I am channeling this into positivity as I'm gonna enjoy this freedom we have here for as long as it allows me to.

(08-Oct-2020, 12:28 PM)emptor Wrote: I hope to join the snakeoil family soon, my NUC is sitting here quietly and waiting.................
I hope to have a solution for you this weekend. Smile

Just to show I'm not kidding, no presents for guessing which one is mine (this is JIRA capacity tracker, with names removed).. Have a lot of things on my plate I need to clear...
[Image: Tracker.png]
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(08-Oct-2020, 01:16 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(08-Oct-2020, 12:28 PM)emptor Wrote: Hope you are ok @agent_kith ? Haven't heard from you for a few days.
Yeah.. I havn't been online in the last 2-3 days. Tongue

Honestly contemplating quitting my job, but given covid, and the fact I'm 44 (Finding a new job is more difficult in my age group), plus Josh says he's bringing in tax cuts early.... Quitting now is a very silly idea.

Things are really crazy at the moment, and I'm not sure they realise yet that I'm not the problem here.

(08-Oct-2020, 12:28 PM)emptor Wrote: Getting my NUC running is secondary to what's going on in this crazy world these days, especially here in Melbourne.
Yeah. I'm glad I'm in WA to be honest. Nobody here seem to observe COVID protocols any more here (even simple things like 1.5 m apart), which frankly adds to my frustration. But having said that, I am channeling this into positivity as I'm gonna enjoy this freedom we have here for as long as it allows me to.

(08-Oct-2020, 12:28 PM)emptor Wrote: I hope to join the snakeoil family soon, my NUC is sitting here quietly and waiting.................
I hope to have a solution for you this weekend. Smile

Just to show I'm not kidding, no presents for guessing which one is mine (this is JIRA capacity tracker, with names removed).. Have a lot of things on my plate I need to clear...
[Image: Tracker.png]

Hey @agent_kith , sorry to hear work is not how you want it to be at the moment. I have to say, I'm only slightly younger than you and being made redundant for the first time back in May (I'm ok now) really does make you appreciate. Especially in times of recession and COVID, stick in there unless you have a fantastic job to move onto. Wink

You're great in channeling your energies and support into stuff that makes you happy. What you do here for us when you can know that it gives us a bit of light too but you gotta make sure you look after yourself #1 as you can't look out for others otherwise.

Thanks in advance for the time you can spare helping me out, it is greatly appreciated. I have a USB DAC now that has changed my world a little. A second hand integrated amp is arriving next Tue. I can't wait to pair it up based on your hard work.

Take care, chat soon. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes emptor's post:
  • agent_kith

So close, with @agent_kith's kernel, am able to get to the reboot step but DHCP is not kicking in I think.... IP address blank (even after ctrl c) and snakeoil OS blank too.

Ubuntu standard boot from USB finds the DHCP.

Close to joining this group!!!!!!

(12-Oct-2020, 05:32 AM)emptor Wrote: So close, with @agent_kith's kernel, am able to get to the reboot step but DHCP is not kicking in I think.... IP address blank (even after ctrl c) and snakeoil OS blank too.

Ubuntu standard boot from USB finds the DHCP.

Close to joining this group!!!!!!
On the Ubuntu standard boot, can you do this for me?

1. cat /proc/modules and show me the contents
2. run "uname -a" and show me the version of the Linux kernel that's running.

Thanks.

Hey @agent_kith ! I thought since it rebooted it may have found the NIC. Thanks for your continued support!

uname -a results in:
Linux ubuntu 5.4.0-26-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 20 16:58:30 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_4 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Images for output of cat /proc/modules below:

[Image: 20201012-220018-Large.jpg]

[Image: 20201012-220100-Large.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes emptor's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

So it works now? Great news.. The network driver is indeed e1000e (Intel), so the kernel I give you should work. Let me know how the install goes and hope it'll all be good.

As a comparison, look at the stuffs that's running in the kernel vs the Snakeoil custom ones:
  • lp (Printer)
  • parport (Parallel port)
  • Crypto stuffs (crc, aesni, cryptd, etc)
  • ZFS (enterprise level file system, I'm surprised this is added into the Linux kernel now as Linus hates it, must be added in the user space - fuse)
Snakeoil kernel have none of those. It's more streamlined but that can be a problem because of missing drivers.

Hey @agent_kith , sorry, I may have confused things. It still doesn't work. I meant that since it rebooted during the snakeoil installation process I thought the NIC worked.....but it doesn't.

Hope the screenshots help with creating an updated kernel to try.

Have an integrated amp that arrived during the week.

Been driving off laptop using jriver.

Hope to drive off NUC soon with success from a new kernel to be gratefully provided by @agent_kith . ?

Time is flying, had the NUC for two weeks.

Hey @agent_kith , I've been trying some other linux audio options. Firstly, I'm not wanting to use these, just wanted to see if I can help troubleshoot a little more.......  Wink

Audiolinux internet connection does not work.

However, Daphile is working, I can access the web interface and the NIC is pingable.

Hope this also helps? I would love snakeoil above everything else.

Thanks for your patience.. :) Last weekend is a complete writeoff for me so I didn't get the time to get the new kernel up.. I'll try and see if I can sneak one in later today. Will PM you later if I have something.