[SOLVED] rpcbind: cannot create socket for udp6 and tcp6
(08-Nov-2016, 11:24 AM)Leonard Wrote: Correct. I am using TFTP. Switching off the DHCP server (and the PXE boot option in the BIOS) didn't help.
Don't disable the DHCP server, but remove the TFTP option in the DHCP setup.

(08-Nov-2016, 11:24 AM)Leonard Wrote: Is there a way to force a specific IP address as a boot parameter?
Don't think you can do that. But you can boot that run level 1, and perhaps manually set the IP address, and then resume booting (init 5). to try this, press 'e' at the boot menu, and add 1 to the linux boot commandline. and try it from there.

Not sure what issue this is TBH as I don't get this in my setup. Do you have another USB stick and try?

(08-Nov-2016, 11:24 AM)Leonard Wrote: On my router I notice that the computer is transmitting packages but itdoesn't receive anything.
Can you ping the snakeoil from the router (or another computer on the same network?) If yes, can your SSH or VNC in?
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(08-Nov-2016, 05:42 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(08-Nov-2016, 11:24 AM)Leonard Wrote: Correct. I am using TFTP. Switching off the DHCP server (and the PXE boot option in the BIOS) didn't help.
Don't disable the DHCP server, but remove the TFTP option in the DHCP setup.
(08-Nov-2016, 11:24 AM)Leonard Wrote: Is there a way to force a specific IP address as a boot parameter?
Don't think you can do that. But you can boot that run level 1, and perhaps manually set the IP address, and then resume booting (init 5). to try this, press 'e' at the boot menu, and add 1 to the linux boot commandline. and try it from there.

Not sure what issue this is TBH as I don't get this in my setup. Do you have another USB stick and try?
(08-Nov-2016, 11:24 AM)Leonard Wrote: On my router I notice that the computer is transmitting packages but itdoesn't receive anything.
Can you ping the snakeoil from the router (or another computer on the same network?) If yes, can your SSH or VNC in?

No I was not able to ping it, nor SSH or VNC. The netwerkadapter seemed to be working fine (based on the blinking LED's) but the computer didn't show up in my netwerk environmen. I got the same error messages when I disconnect the netwerkcable, so I guess it is not directly related to my TFTP or DHCP servers.

However I finaly got it working now by installing the previous version of the ISO fille (version 1.3). After that, and setting a fixed IP, I was able to upgrade to the latest firmware and kernel versions. Took me 2 days. I guess the issue must be related to the 1.4 version of the ISO not able to receive an IP address.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leonard's post:
  • Bromf

(09-Nov-2016, 03:28 AM)Leonard Wrote: However I finaly got it working now by installing the previous version of the ISO fille (version 1.3). After that, and setting a fixed IP, I was able to upgrade to the latest firmware and kernel versions. Took me 2 days. I guess the issue must be related to the 1.4 version of the ISO not able to receive an IP address.
That's interesting. In theory one doesn't need to do that, but then the network manager seems to be very buggy in 14.x and very unpredictable.

Think I'd bite the bullet and upgrade the core OS to the latest Ubuntu 16.x LTS soon. Just a tad worried about any potential AQ changes. Sad

Exactly the same rpcbind errors here when trying to install 1.4 (then tried 1.5 beta)

Many thanks to Leonard..tried his workaround of installing 1.3 then upgrading (to 1.5 beta firmware) Worked !

Hardware is Toshiba satellite 100 laptop with intel networking.

Interestingly the Desktop that was present with the installer still loads on the laptop's display.

(09-Jan-2017, 09:05 AM)Bromf Wrote: Exactly the same rpcbind errors here when trying to install 1.4 (then tried 1.5 beta)
That isn't an error. It's just warning that UDP/TCP v6 is not enabled. Which is fine.
(09-Jan-2017, 09:05 AM)Bromf Wrote: Many thanks to Leonard..tried his workaround of installing 1.3 then upgrading (to 1.5 beta) Worked !

Hardware is Toshiba satellite 100 laptop with intel networking.
Are you saying 1.5 beta can't boot with Intel networking chip? That's weird, it should always work with Intel NIC, and it did with my system at home.

Can you generate a diagnostics file, upload it to dropbox/google/etc and send the link to me? I'd check it later tonight when I get home. thanks.

Edit: I wonder if this Toshiba is using a E1000 chip (PCI Networking). Didn't realise people are still using this hence I removed it in beta1. But will confirm once I get the diagnostics file. thanks.

(09-Jan-2017, 09:05 AM)Bromf Wrote:  
(09-Jan-2017, 09:09 AM)agent_kith Wrote:  
(09-Jan-2017, 09:05 AM)Bromf Wrote:  

Can you generate a diagnostics file, upload it to dropbox/google/etc and send the link to me? I'd check it later tonight when I get home. thanks.

Diagnostics emailed ..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bromf's post:
  • agent_kith

Gonna update this as resolved.

0.1.5 ISO and onwards will no longer display this message. It's causing people to be confused that the problem is caused by rpcbind when the problem is something else.

Update: For the benefit of google users, to disable this message, edit the file /etc/netconfig, and disable these two lines (add a '#' character at the beginning), such that they now read as thus:
Code:
#udp6       tpi_clts      v     inet6    udp     -       -
#tcp6       tpi_cots_ord  v     inet6    tcp     -       -

Save the file, reboot the computer and you should no longer see the "rpcbind: cannot create socket for udp6" messages.