Snakeoil Firmware - 1.2.10 (Gear Isolation U10)
Readme First
There appears to be backwards incompatilites with MPD if you're using an older version of Ubuntu or Raspbian. Have tested this firmware and they run fine on Ubuntu 22.04 and Raspbian 11. 

Moving forward, 
DO NOT UPDATE TO THIS FIRMWARE IF YOU'RE NOT USING
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS or Raspbian 11. 

Introduction
Yet another maintainence release to address some of the user reported issues (Refer to changelog). Also very happy to close off a very old feature (item #7). As you've guys have known (I've been very transparent about this) - I have changed 3 jobs in the past 18 months or so.

I've starting to forget the exact numbers are blur now, possibly > 3 jobs, and < 18 months. The job specifics for every new job is different, as such I had to spend more time than usual to focus and learn lots of new things (and technologies).
[Image: work.gif]
This is not a whinge, just a fact of life, and it is important that my full time job responsibilities will trump over the Snakeoil project. Because of that, there are things I would like to improve, but sadly cannot in the short term due to time constraints. Namely the Raspberry Pi edition.

I would very much like to get the quality of the Raspberry Pi up to speed, but cannot due to life constraints. I certainly believe Raspberry Pi is the way of the future. And will be keen to explore this platform more in ernest once the kernel builder is done. Until then, please

!!! Consider Raspberry Pi as experimental !!!
As in, it will work mostly, but also some parts will not. And this is where you guys come in. When something isn't working, don't just say it's not working. That is unhelpful. The "not working" is the effect, it's the final step of the process. What I need are the details, i.e. every step from start to finish (and be very specific about what is not working). As an example, a statement like "Snakeoil is not working" is totally unhelpful. Or contextless statements like "This works with insert_other_audiophile_software but not with SnakeoilOS".

There are so many components and elements in Snakeoil, a general statement, or statement without context are totally meaningless.

To help me make Snakeoil better, please follow the steps outlined at the top of the Trouble Shooting section. Instead of
Quote:I get no audio, Snakeoil is not working!

write:
Quote:I am using LMS And Squeezelite v1.6.4. My DAC is Accuphase DC-37 and is connected to the Snakeoil PC with a generic USB cable but to a SoTM USB PCI-e card. When I queue a song (sample_music.dsf) to the DAC-37, the song shows up in the DAC's play list. But all I get is garbage when I hit play the play button.
Include pictures where you think it's appropriate. 

And finally, yes Raspberry Pi is considered experimental right now, but it will get better. Last but not lease, enjoy and happy listening!

Change Log
  1. Visually highlight duplicate mount point location
  2. Fixed bug where unused partitions are not showing up in library menu
  3. Do not silent install ubuntu-restricted-extras As that will cause the installer script to hang for a long time
  4. Allow > 1 NAS when using CIFS
  5. Move away from custom myMPD. Use official packages instead
  6. Rename CIFS to Windows Share in WebApp
  7. Allow user option to disable myMPD

DownloadLinks
.fw   snakeoil-armv7l-1.2.10.fw (Size: 51.61 MB / Downloads: 65)
(SHA1: 8f56eb20557257767928ab41f5bbe2b5f5ffdd88)
.fw   snakeoil-x86_64-1.2.10.fw (Size: 57.21 MB / Downloads: 129)
(SHA1: aee3c3b86c3b9ab5d7c296f3267a7276e658ca01)
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 4 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • patricia1066, labo, hkphantomgtr, vinaymoturi

Looks like there are 2 people with MPD failures. Withdrawing this update for now until I can find out what's going on.

(28-Dec-2022, 04:20 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Looks like there are 2 people with MPD failures. Withdrawing this update for now until I can find out what's going on.

FYI, last night I've updated FW it works just fine.

(28-Dec-2022, 05:36 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote:
(28-Dec-2022, 04:20 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Looks like there are 2 people with MPD failures. Withdrawing this update for now until I can find out what's going on.

FYI, last night I've updated FW it works just fine.
Works fine for me also. With/without myMPD running, MPD v23 works just fine.

Unsure what's happening to be honest.

[Image: whaaat1.gif]

My update installed correctly as well.  Prior to update, all  versions of Mpd were installed.  Could issue be related to fresh installs or update of Mpd?

(29-Dec-2022, 11:07 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: My update installed correctly as well.  Prior to update, all  versions of Mpd were installed.  Could issue be related to fresh installs or update of Mpd?
No, I think it's because folks are using distributions that are too old (Stretch or earlier). I spent a whole day on this, and couldn't replicate the errors so far, but I'm using Raspbian Bullseye and Ubuntu Jammy Jellyfish.

To work around this I have to build everything on very old versions of Ubuntu (14.04) or Raspbian (???). However, music players build with the current Ubuntu seems to sound better so I'm not going to compromise on sound quality. So the difficult choice will be for the end users, either they upgrade their distro to the latest version, or keep with what' they've got.

Unfortunately it's too difficult to support multiple OS. It was possible before, but something seem to have changed in the latest libc (this is like the fundamental library of Linux) that breaks everything.

Going to sit this for another night, and hope my brains can think of something as I was sleeping (you'll be suprised how well this strategy has worked for me over the years).Sometime tomorrow I'm going to republish the download, and add a big "known issue" in the first post.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • Snoopy8

Am going to re-publish this firmware as I can't recreate the issues with the OS I'm using. Moving forward I would recommend folks upgrade their OS to the latest version. Can't say for certain with Raspbian, but I do reckon 22.04 sound better compared to 18.04 (yuck) and 20.04 (OKish).
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • vinaymoturi

Hello magician to confirm the operation of the firmware on raspberry pi 3 b with output to 502dac, I have not yet heard on other distributions that mpd played so well .. I really liked the system! Thanks for your hard work!
[-] The following 3 users Like Max2502874's post:
  • vinaymoturi, hkphantomgtr, agent_kith

Hi 
Thank you for the all the hard work you do.
This firmware 1.2.10 can be installed directly over a fresh install of version 1.2.6, or I should pass through 2.7--2.9 ?
thank you

(17-Jan-2023, 03:33 PM)labo Wrote: Hi 
Thank you for the all the hard work you do.
This firmware 1.2.10 can be installed directly over a fresh install of version 1.2.6, or I should pass through 2.7--2.9 ?
thank you

Just go ahead to patch 1.2.10.
[-] The following 2 users Like hkphantomgtr's post:
  • agent_kith, labo