Snakeoil Firmware - 1.2.8 (Gear Isolation U8)
(06-Dec-2022, 09:51 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(06-Dec-2022, 01:32 AM)patch Wrote: Hello

New user here. I managed to install snake oil os on raspberry pi 4b on top of raspbian. I am not able to find how to update the firmware. Could someone list some pointers how to go about it.

Regards
Welcome to the Snakeoil community patch! Smile
Here's a wiki paragraph on how to do an upgrade: https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Configu...ll/Upgrade

If you go to the top of this forum section here (https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Forum...-Firmwares), there is a YouTube video on how to do the upgrade. The video is of an earlier version, but the process is still the same.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Being a non linux person, it was very difficult for me to set up snake oil os. After a lot of reading and experimenting, I couldn't get the hdd to mount and there is no spotify also.

Sad, I could not get it to sing. It seems to me there is a steep learning curve for using this os. Given the difficulty level, I am not sure if I am up to this task as the basics elude me. Dont plan to stay here long and waste others time asking basic questions.

Thanks again

(07-Dec-2022, 12:43 AM)patch Wrote: Being a non linux person, it was very difficult for me to set up snake oil os. After a lot of reading and experimenting, I couldn't get the hdd to mount and there is no spotify also.
By definition, none of us are Linux persons. I am a Google-Linux person; ie Google the Linux command and follow it.

What HDD are you using, is it internally mounted, or using USB? There is Spotify Connect (though I am not sure anyone here is using it) and also a Spotify plugin in LMS/Squeezelite.

All of us have to start somewhere. If you stay, we will help as much as our knowledge permits...

(06-Dec-2022, 08:13 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Thanks for your credit, Snoopy8.  Yet I didn't compare between Studio and Server version, as I don't know how to replace the kernel with command line.
But am I correct in saying, you did switch to Studio because it sounded better?

Building and changing the kernel is not easy and only crazy people like me would try! 😥. That is why it is better for wait for AK's kernel builder.

(07-Dec-2022, 10:27 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(07-Dec-2022, 12:43 AM)patch Wrote: Being a non linux person, it was very difficult for me to set up snake oil os. After a lot of reading and experimenting, I couldn't get the hdd to mount and there is no spotify also.
By definition, none of us are Linux persons. I am a Google-Linux person; ie Google the Linux command and follow it.

What HDD are you using, is it internally mounted, or using USB? There is Spotify Connect (though I am not sure anyone here is using it) and also a Spotify plugin in LMS/Squeezelite.

All of us have to start somewhere. If you stay, we will help as much as our knowledge permits...

Thanks @Snoopy8 for the encouraging words.

Fair enough. Here goes.

1. Installed the Raspbian OS with desktop 32 bit using raspberry pi imager. Activated ssh and wifi using the advance settings of the imager.
2. Booted and ssh into it using Putty. Ran sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade to get the latest updates. Rebooted.
3. Copied the snakeoil installer 1.2.6 using filezilla and ran the sudo bash installation command. got errors at the end regarding squeezelite and lms not installed. Since I plan to use mpd and spotify only, I stated the webos to play music.
4. HDD is externally powered and installed on a usb port. DAC is Allo revolution on another usb port.
5. Web inteface gives a warning to uninstall pulseaudio as it may interfere with the sound quality. On clicking the uninstall buttion and rebooting snakeoil os again gives the same warning. Cant understand why pulseaudio is not being uninstalled.
6. Selected mpd as player and output on usb.
7. The hdd is show along wiith the other partitions of the micro sd card. Tried to select it for building the database but no go.

Please tell me how to go about :
a. The errors regarding squeelzite and lms not installing. Removing pulseaudio.
b. Mounting the hdd and bulding the database.
c. Spotify client access.

If I need to flash some other os other than raspbian that I installed, please let me know which one. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Regards
[-] The following 1 user Likes patch's post:
  • Snoopy8

(07-Dec-2022, 12:40 PM)patch Wrote: Please tell me how to go about :
a. The errors regarding squeelzite and lms not installing. Removing pulseaudio.
b. Mounting the hdd and bulding the database.
c. Spotify client access.
Thank you for trying SnakeOil out. Your questions are beyond my knowledge, and we will have to rely on AK (Agent Kith) to reply. I suspect there are still bugs in the install software.

With the errors, please provide as much detail as possible, by writing the error messages, or even take a photo. Once you get LMS running, there is a Spotify plugin to install. Apologies, but Spotify Connect is only available in the Activated version.

Please be patient because AK has a very busy day job, but he will eventually reply. I am biased, but if you persist, you will be  rewarded with an excellent sounding streamer and very flexible.

(07-Dec-2022, 12:40 PM)patch Wrote: 1. Installed the Raspbian OS with desktop 32 bit using raspberry pi imager. Activated ssh and wifi using the advance settings of the imager.
2. Booted and ssh into it using Putty. Ran sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade to get the latest updates. Rebooted.
3. Copied the snakeoil installer 1.2.6 using filezilla and ran the sudo bash installation command. got errors at the end regarding squeezelite and lms not installed. Since I plan to use mpd and spotify only, I stated the webos to play music.
Did you do a screencap of the error?

(07-Dec-2022, 12:40 PM)patch Wrote: 5. Web inteface gives a warning to uninstall pulseaudio as it may interfere with the sound quality. On clicking the uninstall buttion and rebooting snakeoil os again gives the same warning. Cant understand why pulseaudio is not being uninstalled.
SSH to the Snakeoil PC, and run the following:
Code:
sudo apt remove pulseaudio
Did that return any error? Double check if the pulseaudio message is still showing in the Web page after this.

6. Selected mpd as player and output on usb.
7. The hdd is show along wiith the other partitions of the micro sd card. Tried to select it for building the database but no go.

(07-Dec-2022, 12:40 PM)patch Wrote: a. The errors regarding squeelzite and lms not installing. Removing pulseaudio.
You need to tell me what errors you're seeing. Otherwise I have no information to go on.

Create a new thread in the "Support & Troubleshooting section", follow the information pasted at the top as much as you can.

E.g. once I find out why uninstalling spotify is not returning you an error why it failed to uninstall, I will add that. Last I recalled the WebApp should return an error giving you a reason why pulseaudio can't be uninstalled.

(07-Dec-2022, 12:40 PM)patch Wrote: b. Mounting the hdd and bulding the database.
You should be able to mount the HDD in the library tab? Once that is done the music player/server of your choice will have access to the music.

(07-Dec-2022, 12:40 PM)patch Wrote: c. Spotify client access.
I probably can't help you on that one since I don't use Spotify. But I do know LMS has a Spotify client. So once you get LMS up and running u can add that plugin to get Spotify.

BTW, not trying to load things on you. Just that I've really busy now so am trying to streamline the process. And I'm hardly home these days (only going home to sleep really). Can't even test simple things like clicking on the uninstall PulseAudio button in my test rig now.. Last I checked, that worked, but that was tested on a copy of Raspbian a while back, and new Raspbian updates might have changed things, and what not.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • patch

@agent_kith
Managed to install afresh.The error was libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl not found.Googled and managed to install. Everything working as it should.

The sound, just wow. Much better than my earlier OS I was using. 

Regards
[-] The following 3 users Like patch's post:
  • agent_kith, hkphantomgtr, Snoopy8

(07-Dec-2022, 12:18 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(06-Dec-2022, 08:13 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Thanks for your credit, Snoopy8.  Yet I didn't compare between Studio and Server version, as I don't know how to replace the kernel with command line.
But am I correct in saying, you did switch to Studio because it sounded better?

Building and changing the kernel is not easy and only crazy people like me would try! 😥. That is why it is better for wait for AK's kernel builder.

Yes, the Studio sounds better and I've switched to it.
BTW, I've also built kernel before, but forgot how to do it now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • Snoopy8

(08-Dec-2022, 03:30 PM)patch Wrote: @agent_kith
Managed to install afresh.The error was libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl not found.Googled and managed to install. Everything working as it should.

The sound, just wow. Much better than my earlier OS I was using. 
That's great to hear. Thanks for putting in the patience to fix it. Again I'm sorry for being MIA for quite some time. Been real busy past few weeks/months.

(08-Dec-2022, 10:27 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: BTW, I've also built kernel before, but forgot how to do it now.
Hopefully that will be gone in a few weeks time. Building kernel will be made easier, but then comes the hard work of finding that magic kernel version and just that right setting to make it sound sweet. That's the final part of the puzzle (code wise) to complete the Snakeoil project.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • hkphantomgtr, patch

Exclamation 
MPD not working (any version) on Rpi4 /Ubuntu Server 20.10 LTS ARM v7, clean install with latest firmware 1.2.8, MPD always crashes immediately after save configuration in web app, logs shows this

**** 2022-12-11T00:11:47
**** MPD (0.22.9)

/var/www/players/mpd-v22/start: line 6:  2175 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) "$1/${PROGRAM_FILE}" "$CONFIG_FILE" --stderr 2>&1

Same software on PC AMD64 works flawlessly. How to isolate problem, I'm not diehard Linux admin.