Snakeoil Installer - 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
Found another issue. If you encounter random 404 errors (happens usually when you upgrade/downgrade firmware), please SSH into the computer and run the following commands:

Code:
sudo lighttpd-enable-mod rewrite
sudo service lighttpd force-reload

This will be fixed in 1.2.2.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Hi
How to install it on RPI3

(04-Dec-2021, 01:44 AM)RCD Wrote: Hi
See this wiki on how to do that: https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Install...ller-shell

Go with a RPi 4 if you can.. RPi3 is kindda limited with disk and networking. RPi4 is pretty good AFAICT.

(04-Dec-2021, 08:37 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(04-Dec-2021, 01:44 AM)RCD Wrote: Hi
See this wiki on how to do that: https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Install...ller-shell

Go with a RPi 4 if you can.. RPi3 is kindda limited with disk and networking. RPi4 is pretty good AFAICT.
Thanks
And which image should I install on RPI4?

For RPI3 I have an Allo Digione signature overlay, Uptone Etherregen and an external clock for ER. Will replacing RPI3 with RPI4 improve the sound quality in my configuration?

(14-Dec-2021, 05:14 AM)RCD Wrote: And which image should I install on RPI4?
Use the ARM install script.

(14-Dec-2021, 05:14 AM)RCD Wrote: For RPI3 I have an Allo Digione signature overlay, Uptone Etherregen and an external clock for ER. Will replacing RPI3 with RPI4 improve the sound quality in my configuration?
I do not have a Pi, but I understand that the RPI4 has a better internal clock which may improve the SQ better via USB?

As an aside, are you using linear power supplies for the ER and clock?

(14-Dec-2021, 05:42 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(14-Dec-2021, 05:14 AM)RCD Wrote: And which image should I install on RPI4?
Use the ARM install script.
(14-Dec-2021, 05:14 AM)RCD Wrote: For RPI3 I have an Allo Digione signature overlay, Uptone Etherregen and an external clock for ER. Will replacing RPI3 with RPI4 improve the sound quality in my configuration?
I do not have a Pi, but I understand that the RPI4 has a better internal clock which may improve the SQ better via USB?

As an aside, are you using linear power supplies for the ER and clock?

Yes, I use a total of four line power supplies, for the RPI + Digi Signature, Shanti, two more line power supplies for the ER and clock, and one more for the router.

I wonder, between stock Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio, will it be better to install Ubuntu Studio as it claims using low latency kernel for its generic AV purpose?

Ubuntu Studio – A free and open operating system for creative people.
[-] The following 2 users Like hkphantomgtr's post:
  • agent_kith, mkysimes

(18-Apr-2022, 12:02 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: I wonder, between stock Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio, would it better to install Ubuntu Studio as it claimes it use low latency kernel for its generic AV purpose?

Well that is a good question indeed. I use RPIs and I can tell you that there are indeed differences in SQ between Raspian and Ubuntu when it comes to the Pi. And of course there are differences in Ubuntu versions. That being said I haven't tried Studio on Pi. Not even sure if it's available on Pi but I'm sure there is an audible difference as every version and variant has produced different results for me.

(18-Apr-2022, 12:02 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: I wonder, between stock Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio, will it be better to install Ubuntu Studio as it claims using low latency kernel for its generic AV purpose?

It should be better. Ubuntu Server edition is optimised for server loads and not music. Reason why Snakeoil has custom kernels that's optimised for music...

You can install Studio straight on, another way is to just add the studio kernel into your existing OS and reboot and that should work.

(18-Apr-2022, 08:47 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(18-Apr-2022, 12:02 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: I wonder, between stock Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio, will it be better to install Ubuntu Studio as it claims using low latency kernel for its generic AV purpose?

It should be better. Ubuntu Server edition is optimised for server loads and not music. Reason why Snakeoil has custom kernels that's optimised for music...

You can install Studio straight on, another way is to just add the studio kernel into your existing OS and reboot and that should work.

Thanks!
Please excuse my another layman question, I thought in SnakeOil OS we use the SnakeOil kernel only and it's the best for audio so far, right?   If I'm right up to here, I just wonder that, would running the SnakeOil installation script in Ubuntu Studio be able to further enhance the SnakeOil performance?

A bit sidetrack here, because recently I found something very interesting and inspiring happened to my system, I've sold my Lumin streamer and probably I'll use hi-fi PC for music playback again.  Then I need to install SnakeOil OS again. Kekekeke