Snakeoil Installer - 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
(09-May-2021, 09:23 PM)koko6969koki Wrote: This was my next question! Smile

If I understand correctly, the older SnakeOil versons prior to 1.2.0 all used the custom tweaked RT kernel,
and the new 1.2.0 version is just installed on top of the regular Ubuntu, without any kernel tweaks?
Yes that is correct. No RT kernel yet, hopefully I can find the time to implement this next feature.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(10-May-2021, 04:44 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: This morning 59 packages can be installed [apt list --upgradable]. I imagine this could occur every day - how do I know when to update for security etc? Does the script remove packages that are unnecessary after the download?
You can modify the configuration files in /etc/apt to only install security updates.

Having said that for my primary rig I do not update the software (I rely on my IDS/IPS firewall for security). I figured the less things I change, the less variables I can introduce. This is more superstition than anything to be honest.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • patricia1066

(11-May-2021, 08:05 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(09-May-2021, 08:13 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: I am not a Linux man either! But I think the install reference repositories, especially for the music players and these will go out of date and may not be available. But best if Agent Kith confirms this.
Software makers like HQPlayer, JRiver and Spotify will drop support of their software on older distributions fairly quickly.

Canonoical (Ubuntu) will support updates (and more importantly security patches) until the end of life. E.g. Ubuntu 16.04 is officially stopped in April 2021. There will be no more updates, and I'm almost certain those repositories will go as well (but you can find mirror sites).

As late as last year IIRC I can still find and download 12.04 or 14.04 packages.

Thanks for the answer!

Since I'm using only Squeezelite (the older 1.6.4, that I think Smile that it sounds better) and LMS, I'm not interested in other software.

If I have the original Snakeoil ISO - 1.1.0 and the later firmware updates,
am I'm OK if I want to reinstall everything without repositories?

(11-May-2021, 08:12 AM)agent_kith Wrote: You can modify the configuration files in /etc/apt to only install security updates.
When I use the "Update Ubuntu" button, I would like to install security updates only. What file do I edit to do this?

(14-May-2021, 05:02 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(11-May-2021, 08:12 AM)agent_kith Wrote: You can modify the configuration files in /etc/apt to only install security updates.
When I use the "Update Ubuntu" button, I would like to install security updates only. What file do I edit to do this?

Looks like installing "unattended-upgrades" will amend the effect of "Update Ubuntu" button. Or use CLI to update after installing so you can do a dry run.

How to install only security updates in Ubuntu - Command line - DigitPAGE
[-] The following 1 user Likes patricia1066's post:
  • Snoopy8

(06-May-2021, 05:48 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Logitech Media Server requires configuration on fresh install. Documentation coming soon.
Done...  Please check and amend as required. 
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Install...stallation

(14-May-2021, 06:27 PM)patricia1066 Wrote:
(14-May-2021, 05:02 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:

Looks like installing "unattended-upgrades" will amend the effect of "Update Ubuntu" button. Or use CLI to update after installing so you can do a dry run.

How to install only security updates in Ubuntu - Command line - DigitPAGE

Thank you.  I was not sure whether unattended-upgrades was installed (it is).  But still not sure if "Update Ubuntu" is using this. @agent_kith, please confirm.

Finally...after some very fraught weeks...I had the time to install the latest release...

Stunning!   MyMPD loads and displays the artwork search faster than ever before. Smile

Upgrade went very smoothly and no need to reboot. Cool

Wow !   I know you are itching to use your new found Angular skills but wow this release is so mature !!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
The move to a base Ubuntu install and Snakeoil on top works faultlessly... well done TK ! Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Bromf's post:
  • hkphantomgtr, agent_kith

Hi,
I have been using SnakeoilOS for a long time, Love it, So i tried to upgrade to 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
Just can't get it to work, Some things are just not that clear for me, Not a Linux expert, So need some help!

This is were i am at....

Install Ubuntu Server on my Snakeoil machine. (Done)
Install WinSCP on windows PC on same network. (Done)
Download Snakeoil Installer to windows PC. (Done)

This is where things go pear shaped...

Upload Snakeoil Installer to Ubuntu Server. (What directory does it need to be uploaded to?)
When i manage to do this, How do i launch Terminal in Ubuntu Server to execute the  Snakeoil installer, What commands are required?

Hope this makes sense, As i would love to get up and running.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

(18-May-2021, 03:42 AM)Steely Wrote: Upload Snakeoil Installer to Ubuntu Server. (What directory does it need to be uploaded to?)
When i manage to do this, How do i launch Terminal in Ubuntu Server to execute the  Snakeoil installer, What commands are required?

Use WinSCP to copy file to home directory of SnakeOil user (same user entered during Ubuntu install).  Login to Ubuntu server (or use Putty from Win PC).

Sudo Bash file..

Big Step Thumbs Up
Installation according to the instructions to USB flash drive was successful. Snakeoil boots from a flash drive takes about 60 seconds.

Bugs:
1. Clocksource does not switch from web interface to tsc. When rebooting after switching, Snakeoil hangs. After the hard reset, clocksource set to hpet again.
2. The cyclictest does not work from the web-interface. This is probably due to the "-n" parameter. In cyclictest  V 1.10 "-n" replaced by "-s"

The cyclictest result from the CLI on the 5.4.0-73-generic kernel saddened.

Snakeoil 1.2.0 - Ubuntu 16.04.2
[Image: Cyclictest-Snakeoil-1-2-0-Ubuntu-16-04-2.png]

Snakeoil 1.2.0 - Ubuntu 20.04.2
[Image: Snakeoil-1-2-0-Ubuntu-20-04.png]

We are waiting for new kernels
[Image: Screenshot-1.png]
Sorry for my English
[GA-H170M-D3H + G4400 + SOtM tX-USB] > Ortofon DGI-K2 Silver > LKS Audio MH-DA003 USB Upgrade > Audioquest Colorado > Audio Note P2SE > Audio Note AN-B > Tannoy D500

[-] The following 2 users Like m@jor's post:
  • agent_kith, Snoopy8