Snakeoil Installer - 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
(10-Jun-2021, 10:01 AM)irate1 Wrote: Last try was with Ubuntu Server 20.04 on rpi4.
Use Raspbian on Rpi4.. The Snakeoil blob do not work with Rpi Ubuntu 20.04 because it's a 32 vs 64 bit issues.

Ubuntu will be supported on RPi4 once I finish the GUI revamp.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Hello!
I had used and paid for SnakeOil OS with my notebook connected via USB to my DAC. Then I switched to Intel NUC 8i5BEH + Roon Rock.

Have any of you experienced and tested? Is Rock or SnakeoilOS better in sound quality? At the end of August I will definitely switch to dCS Bartok, I am still undecided whether to keep Roon. In that case I have to decide whether to continue with Rock or format and return to Snakeoil + Roon. Thanks if you feel like answering me.

(04-Aug-2021, 10:58 PM)lazmangsxr Wrote: Hello!
I had used and paid for SnakeOil OS with my notebook connected via USB to my DAC. Then I switched to Intel NUC 8i5BEH + Roon Rock.

Have any of you experienced and tested? Is Rock or SnakeoilOS better in sound quality? At the end of August I will definitely switch to dCS Bartok, I am still undecided whether to keep Roon. In that case I have to decide whether to continue with Rock or format and return to Snakeoil + Roon. Thanks if you feel like answering me.
Welcome to the forum....

I was trialling Roon with SnakeOil a while ago and found the flexibility of using Roon with SnakeOil useful. Roon Rock is delivered as an appliance, with no access to Linux, and no ability to tweak. For example, you could assign some CPUs for Roon server and other CPUs for the end point, play with priorities etc. in SnakeOil.  

I have the same NUC and it does cope well with Roon. The heaviest load is when Roon doing the library indexing and refreshing. DSP, upsampling are also CPU intensive.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not interested in flexibility, I just aim for the highest achievable audio quality.
For that I was wondering if anyone has tried to make comparetive with SnakeOS. Rock is comfortable and requires no updates or maintenance. However, I'm considering removing roon as well and just using dCS's Mosaic app. If you haven't, try to power the NUC with a linear power supply, use a dedicated audio switch (it has brought great improvements because they filter less interference from the switch output, it does not break the tcp / ip paradigm). Also I recommend to use LAN cables for HiFi or at least to buy lan cables cat 6 and to ground the shield only on one of the 2 sides of the cable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lazmangsxr's post:
  • Snoopy8

(05-Aug-2021, 07:37 PM)lazmangsxr Wrote: Thanks for the reply. I'm not interested in flexibility, I just aim for the highest achievable audio quality.
For that I was wondering if anyone has tried to make comparetive with SnakeOS. Rock is comfortable and requires no updates or maintenance. However, I'm considering removing roon as well and just using dCS's Mosaic app.
I have not done a comparison with Roon Rock, but I believe that SnakeOil has more potential for SQ improvements. It depends on your personal preference, whether you prefer the convenience of a Rock appliance, or chase tweaks to improve SQ. I have chosen SnakeOil as the foundation and have spent considerable effort and time further improving SQ.

Have done a comparison with a dCS Network Bridge and its Mosaic app. Prefer NUC with SnakeOil and Mpd as the music player.
(05-Aug-2021, 07:37 PM)lazmangsxr Wrote: If you haven't, try to power the NUC with a linear power supply, use a dedicated audio switch (it has brought great improvements because they filter less interference from the switch output, it does not break the tcp / ip paradigm). Also I recommend to use LAN cables for HiFi or at least to buy lan cables cat 6 and to ground the shield only on one of the 2 sides of the cable.
Thank you for the recommendations. My NUC is powered by a LPS and has also an external USB card with its own LPS. Smile

Also have Uptone EtherRegen with its own LPS plus audiophile Ethernet cable. However, if I am looking for the ultimate SQ, I will push music to RAM Disk using the "Browse" tab in SnakeOil and play music from there. Have tried further improving the Ethernet side, but it cannot match playing from RAM Disk.

(06-Aug-2021, 07:26 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: Also have Uptone EtherRegen with its own LPS plus audiophile Ethernet cable. However, if I am looking for the ultimate SQ, I will push music to RAM Disk using the "Browse" tab in SnakeOil and play music from there. Have tried further improving the Ethernet side, but it cannot match playing from RAM Disk.
RAM disk surprisingly works (in the very least it changes the signature/presentation of the sound).. So does cpuset. And Tasso experimented with R1 RAM before and apparently that's a must have also.

LPS is also a must. I honestly swear by my hot-rod JS-2.

But what works for me as the foundation is a real time kernel. Unfortunately with work getting in the way it's hard to dedicate any time to get the UI and the server up to make it happen. Paying for a second cloud server to share the load of the sponsored one is easy (Just 10 minutes). Spending the time to sit down and code isn't. When that part is done I am certain Snakeoil OS will be the reference music OS - under the right hands.

Once you're using a kernel with a low (and constant/fixed) latency, it becomes the foundation of a very very good OS for music playback.

I did quit my last job so I can focus more on Snakeoil. And I did, working non-stop for months to get 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation) out the door. Perhaps one day I'll do the same again. I kind of like this contract work as I can spread my load between tasks (tick/tock style).

Unfortunately doing Snakeoil full time is impossible - there is just not enough financial support to do so. All the features will come, it's just a matter of when. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • patricia1066, Snoopy8, hkphantomgtr

(06-Aug-2021, 08:04 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Once you're using a kernel with a low (and constant/fixed) latency, it becomes the foundation of a very very good OS for music playback.
I AM!!  Smile   I went through a lot of effort with the associated frustration of failed kernels and now have a 5.10 RT Kernel. Am getting max latency of 5 to 7 micro seconds across all 4 CPUs.  The RT kernel is one part of a larger picture of using CPUsets, moving IRQs, setting process priorities, tweaking BIOS and running DSP.  Together, they have made SnakeOil better than ever! Cool  

Will document what I have done in the CPUset thread so that you can use ideas from my experiments.  Still have some challenges to overcome e.g. using chrt to set process priorities has given me grief.   You have enough to do, so will raise that issue when you begin the CPUset development.
[-] The following 3 users Like Snoopy8's post:
  • lazmangsxr, hkphantomgtr, agent_kith

Thanks for the info, I currently use Intel NUC + SOtM SMS-200Ultra Neo + SPS-500 + TX-USB Ultra. Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable and from the TX-USB to the DAC an Audioquest Diamond USB. Now I have decided to sell everything and only use dCS Bartòk + Diablo 300. It is a choice due to the need for less cables and a cleaner aesthetic in the living room.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lazmangsxr's post:
  • Snoopy8

(06-Aug-2021, 06:31 PM)lazmangsxr Wrote: Thanks for the info, I currently use Intel NUC + SOtM SMS-200Ultra Neo + SPS-500 + TX-USB Ultra. Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable and from the TX-USB to the DAC an Audioquest Diamond USB. Now I have decided to sell everything and only use dCS Bartòk + Diablo 300. It is a choice due to the need for less cables and a cleaner aesthetic in the living room.
That's the gist in what Snakeoil OS offers really. Snakeoil OS Is unlike everything in the market that I know of right now. In that Snakeoil allows you the audiophile to dictate what is "good sound".

Tweaks and options are exposed via the WebApp, and audiophiles have full control of the operating system to customise the PC to tailor the sound and max out their sound system. Most of what you can buy off the market are equipment designed by people who have their own idea of "good sound". If their tastes align with yours, it's a perfect match.
That's not always the case.

So in other words, Snakeoil OS Is for audiophiles who cannot find the right product in the market, whether it's affordability, availability or some other reasons. Read the philosophy here: Link.

And because you have full control, it is also future proof. Other times, it is frustrating, as you can break the sound suddenly and have no idea why!?

(06-Aug-2021, 06:31 PM)lazmangsxr Wrote: Thanks for the info, I currently use Intel NUC + SOtM SMS-200Ultra Neo + SPS-500 + TX-USB Ultra. Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable and from the TX-USB to the DAC an Audioquest Diamond USB. Now I have decided to sell everything and only use dCS Bartòk + Diablo 300. It is a choice due to the need for less cables and a cleaner aesthetic in the living room.
I did have the SMS-200 Ultra Neo + LPS.  Have also tried the SPS-500, Wireworld and Audioquest USB cables.  I can definitely say my Intel NUC with all its tweaks will beat the SMS-200 Ultra Neo.  So, agree with your decision to simplify your setup.  You should consider adding a JCAT USB card XE (needs a 5V LPS) to the NUC; you will need an adapter cable to connect the card to the M2 port of the NUC.  It is worth the extra expense and does away with the need to add a USB reclocker to the chain.