Snakeoil Installer - 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
(11-Jun-2022, 09:51 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(11-Jun-2022, 05:58 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Furthering your information, 1.2.0 installer only works with "Ubuntu 20.04" & "Ubuntu Studio 20.04", not the latest 22.04.  And Ubuntu Studio is real time kernel, just as Snakeoil original kernel you're using, while the Ubuntu 20.04 is not real time kernel.  FYI, I used 1.2.0 installer on Ubuntu Studio 20.04 and it works perfectly.
Thank you. I learnt something new today !

It was painful and very time consuming to learn how to build a RT kernel. It could take a hour or more (because I did not know how to do it properly) to compile a kernel and sometimes it would not run. If only I knew about the Studio kernel... 😭

You're welcome.  And for the RT or not in Studio kernel, of course you must be the best guy to tell.  All I know is from their web info.

(12-Jun-2022, 09:17 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(11-Jun-2022, 11:47 PM)emptor Wrote: Thx heaps for the advice!!! I would have gone 22.04 without your experience!

@hkphantomgtr what is the benefit of agent_kith kernel builder when complete vs the Studio kernel?
This is answering as a poor amateur kernel builder vs the uber pro Agent Kith! AK will know how to fully optimise the kernel, making it as small as possible and stripping out unnecessary functionality. My kernels are many, many times bigger in the file size compared with the kernels that AK released previously. Cry Sad 

Note that Ubuntu Studio is low latency, not real time.  There is a switch in the config file to set this.  I suspect there is little difference in practice for SnakeOil.  And Studio is more likely to have better SQ than the standard Ubuntu release because of lower latency.  Having said that, @hkphantomgtr prefers the sound of using HPET clock which has a much larger latency than the TSC clock.  So, lower latency is not everything...

Just a layman guess, from this previous experience with clocksource and latency value, maybe it only will be meaningful to compare the latency value with the same clocksource........ 

Btw, snoopy8, would you please tell me how to check and turn the Studio Low Latency kernel to RT kernel?  I've attached the screen cap of the output "uname -a", would you please kindly check?  Many Thanks!

(12-Jun-2022, 09:53 AM)emptor Wrote:
(12-Jun-2022, 09:17 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(11-Jun-2022, 11:47 PM)emptor Wrote: Thx heaps for the advice!!! I would have gone 22.04 without your experience!

@hkphantomgtr what is the benefit of agent_kith kernel builder when complete vs the Studio kernel?
This is answering as a poor amateur kernel builder vs the uber pro Agent Kith! AK will know how to fully optimise the kernel, making it as small as possible and stripping out unnecessary functionality. My kernels are many, many times bigger in the file size compared with the kernels that AK released previously. Cry Sad 

Note that Ubuntu Studio is low latency, not real time.  There is a switch in the config file to set this.  I suspect there is little difference in practice for SnakeOil.  And Studio is more likely to have better SQ than the standard Ubuntu release because of lower latency.  Having said that, @hkphantomgtr prefers the sound of using HPET clock which has a much larger latency than the TSC clock.  So, lower latency is not everything...

Thanks Snoopy! I use HPET in my 1.1.11 also. Does it default to TSC if I turn off HPET in bios?

In the same machine, updating the FW should keep the same clocksource.  You are free to compare their sonic performance.  Objectively, the difference is easy to tell.  esp for the music with large scale arrangement or with strong rhythm.  In contrast, like it or not is rather subjective.  In my memory it needs to reboot after make the change of clocksource effective.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • Snoopy8

(12-Jun-2022, 02:13 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Btw, snoopy8, would you please tell me how to check and turn the Studio Low Latency kernel to RT kernel?  I've attached the screen cap of the output "uname -a", would you please kindly check?  Many Thanks!
The switch is in the config file to compile the kernel!  Unfortunately, there is no way for a user to do this YET! 

AK's kernel builder is probably the world's first tool that will allow an ordinary user to configure the kernel by themselves.  Personally, I think he should be charging for this ability to configure and I am willing to pay for it.  Not only is he making it easy, but it will consume heavy compute resources to compile the kernel. It can take 30 or more minutes to do each compile, depending on what hardware is deployed.  I can imagine that when word gets around the Linux world that there is a configurable kernel builder, there could be heavy demand for this service.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snoopy8's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

(12-Jun-2022, 03:03 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(12-Jun-2022, 02:13 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Btw, snoopy8, would you please tell me how to check and turn the Studio Low Latency kernel to RT kernel?  I've attached the screen cap of the output "uname -a", would you please kindly check?  Many Thanks!
The switch is in the config file to compile the kernel!  Unfortunately, there is no way for a user to do this YET! 

AK's kernel builder is probably the world's first tool that will allow an ordinary user to configure the kernel by themselves.  Personally, I think he should be charging for this ability to configure and I am willing to pay for it.  Not only is he making it easy, but it will consume heavy compute resources to compile the kernel. It can take 30 or more minutes to do each compile, depending on what hardware is deployed.  I can imagine that when word gets around the Linux world that there is a configurable kernel builder, there could be heavy demand for this service.

Ic.  Thanks!  I thought the word "preempt" already means it's a "Real Time" kernel.

Because Ubuntu Core got lesser footprint and hopefully lesser audio unrelated background processes, will this do a better job than stock Ubuntu for audio?   Or will the future RT version do a better job than stock Ubuntu Studio?  Think

https://ubuntu.com/blog/canonical-ubuntu...ed-devices

(16-Jun-2022, 08:32 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Because Ubuntu Core got lesser footprint and hopefully lesser audio unrelated background processes, will this do a better job than stock Ubuntu for audio?   Or will the future RT version do a better job than stock Ubuntu Studio?  Think

https://ubuntu.com/blog/canonical-ubuntu...ed-devices
I have not looked at Studio, so am guessing that it has a lot more unnecessary (for SnakeOil) packages.

You do raise an interesting point about whether future RT capable Ubuntu releases are good enough?  The standard kernel will be large whereas AK's will be smaller (does it make a difference?) and maybe tuned further???   

Based on my amateur effort with kernel building, I think AK will improve things. But is he better off spending time to do other things instead of the huge effort to build the kernel Configurator?  A number of years ago, RT was a fork that few people were interested, hence it made sense for AK to do things.  However, with RT now becoming mainstream, should AK re-consider???

Honestly, I believe in AK's work is always better than the others' general kernels in terms of audio performance.  Yet in-between his kernel generator hits the road and current installer transitional period, I'm interested in maximizing the performance of SnakeOil, such as installing it in a more suitable Linux distro.

Btw, standard Ubuntu installation offers minimal installation but it's not available during Ubuntu Studio installation.  I have to manually "apt remove" a lot packages.  Even I'm not sure whether these unrelated packages run some background processes while I'm listening to music, at least I hope removing them make SnakeOil OS boot faster, and finish "OS Update" faster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • Snoopy8

Question 
G'day guys,
I'm new here and trying to install the OS at present and having some issues. Would appreciate your guidance and input.

Installer gets this far:
 + Install Snakeoil RestAPI server... OK
  + Installing Snakeoil blob, please be patient... snakeoil-installer-1.2.0-x86_64.sh: line 383:  3968 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /tmp/snakeoil-rest --recover=${BLOB_FILE} > /tmp/snakeoil-install.log
ERROR
# Cleaning up tmp files... OK
# Install aborted with errors!

This is the actual entry in the log file:
Starting Snakeoil OS RESTful Server 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
Recovery firmware found. Please wait...

I'm running:
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION_ID="22.04"
VERSION="22.04.1 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)"
VERSION_CODENAME=jammy
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
UBUNTU_CODENAME=jammy

Thanks!

(12-Aug-2022, 04:20 PM)FCleph Wrote: G'day guys,
I'm new here and trying to install the OS at present and having some issues. Would appreciate your guidance and input.

Installer gets this far:
  + Installing Snakeoil blob, please be patient... snakeoil-installer-1.2.0-x86_64.sh: line 383:  3968 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /tmp/snakeoil-rest --recover=${BLOB_FILE} > /tmp/snakeoil-install.log
ERROR

I'm running:
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION_ID="22.04"
VERSION_CODENAME=jammy
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
UBUNTU_CODENAME=jammy

Thanks!

SO installer for 22.04 installer is coming very soon. Snakeoil 1.2.6 Beta 7 (snakeoil-os.net)
And maybe you can use Ubuntu Studio instead of the ordinary Ubuntu. Ubuntu Studio – A free and open operating system for creative people.

(12-Aug-2022, 05:40 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote:
(12-Aug-2022, 04:20 PM)FCleph Wrote: G'day guys,

Installer gets this far:
ERROR

I'm running:
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION_ID="22.04"
VERSION_CODENAME=jammy
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
UBUNTU_CODENAME=jammy

Thanks!

SO installer for 22.04 installer is coming very soon. Snakeoil 1.2.6 Beta 7 (snakeoil-os.net)
And maybe you can use Ubuntu Studio instead of the ordinary Ubuntu. Ubuntu Studio – A free and open operating system for creative people.

Ok, thanks. Unfortunately I don't have the priveleges to access the Beta 7 link you provided (might be because I'm a new user in the Forum?)

I did actually try to upgrade my Lubuntu to Ubuntu Studio via the installer on their site and it seemed to work, but it still states:

NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION_ID="22.04"
VERSION_CODENAME=jammy

I might have to try a fresh install from an ISO? IF I can't yet use your SO installer on 22.04 then what version do you recommend, or is the new installer really close to being available?

Thanks again!

(17-Aug-2022, 09:18 AM)FCleph Wrote: Ok, thanks. Unfortunately I don't have the priveleges to access the Beta 7 link you provided (might be because I'm a new user in the Forum?)

Welcome to the forum.

To access Beta 7 now, just give a small donation and you will be sent an activation code. Otherwise, the new release is not far away.