Snakeoil Installer- 1.2.6 (Gear Isolation U6)
(31-Aug-2022, 10:49 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(31-Aug-2022, 12:35 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: For the latency value in cyclic test, the only significant difference is the MAX value.  Now Max is very close to the Act and Avg values.  And for the sound, "seems" it's better to my ear...... haha.......
Well done.  I think you have found the way to install only the low latency kernel in Ubuntu Studio. 

So,  which improvement was better?  Upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04, or use low latency kernel in 22.04?

Thanks!  "Upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04" and "use low latency kernel in 22.0?" both should be using the same low latency kernel.  To me ear, seems the new installing method produces better sound.  Maybe you can try on your gear and let us know your result.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • Snoopy8

(27-Aug-2022, 07:54 PM)agent_kith Wrote: To each his own I guess.. Like myself, I prefer Squeezelite over MPD.. MPD doesn't do well with low dynamic range songs (which is around 95% of the music I own).

A lot of the songs I have are highly compressed in the dynamic range. Still lossless, but not a lot of dynamic range. MPD really make some of my favourite songs pretty unpleasant to listen to.

So objectively while Squeezelite is worse, it's actually still my preference. In a sense Squeezelite is a general player, it is not the best, but I don't get frustrated listening to music.. With Squeezelite, I have a few hundred songs I can listen to, with MPD that number is very very low (I don't think I even have 20).

Would you share please what version are you using ?

(31-Aug-2022, 08:45 PM)labo Wrote: Would you share please what version are you using ?
I'm using 1.6.4
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • labo

Since 3 weeks ago, after used 1.2.6 (now 1.2.7) in Ubuntu 22.04 with UbuntuStudio low latency kernel inside and minimal installation, SnakeOil upgrades my system to another level.  The music from my gear got a musical soul inside.  That's obviously better than while using 1.2.6 beta and other ubuntustudio 20.04.  I must say "Bravo!" , "Thank you very very much" to AK, cordially.  Very very good job this time!!  [Image: good_job.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like hkphantomgtr's post:
  • Snoopy8, agent_kith

(10-Sep-2022, 04:31 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Since 3 weeks ago, after used 1.2.6 (now 1.2.7) in Ubuntu 22.04 with UbuntuStudio low latency kernel inside and minimal installation, SnakeOil upgrades my system to another level.  The music from my gear got a musical soul inside.  That's obviously better than while using 1.2.6 beta and other ubuntustudio 20.04.  I must say "Bravo!" , "Thank you very very much" to AK, cordially.  Very very good job this time!!  [Image: good_job.gif]

Thanks. Much appreciated. Remember to help spread the word Cool .
  • hkphantomgtr

(11-Sep-2022, 08:20 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(10-Sep-2022, 04:31 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Since 3 weeks ago, after used 1.2.6 (now 1.2.7) in Ubuntu 22.04 with UbuntuStudio low latency kernel inside and minimal installation, SnakeOil upgrades my system to another level.  The music from my gear got a musical soul inside.  That's obviously better than while using 1.2.6 beta and other ubuntustudio 20.04.  I must say "Bravo!" , "Thank you very very much" to AK, cordially.  Very very good job this time!!  [Image: good_job.gif]

Thanks. Much appreciated. Remember to help spread the word Cool .

Sure, my pleasure, 中秋節快樂!   [Image: cheer3.gif]

BTW, in terms of the latecny value from cyclic test, there are no more surge in MAX as seen in UbuntuStudio 20.04, i.e. a 6 digits value among other 5 digits values.
[-] The following 2 users Like hkphantomgtr's post:
  • agent_kith, Snoopy8

(31-Aug-2022, 12:35 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: As being inspired by a pal's complaint, few days ago I digged a new way to install.  So that ubuntu studio leaves least footprint in storage, so to the system, and saves all the hassle between UbuntuStudio and the USB drive.  Before installing with SO installer, UbuntuStudio can boot faster, run more responsively, and almost with no bundled software to remove.  For the latency value in cyclic test, the only significant difference is the MAX value.  Now Max is very close to the Act and Avg values.  And for the sound, "seems" it's better to my ear...... haha.......

[Image: New-way-to-install.png] [Image: NUC-Ubuntu-Studio-22-04-1.png]

Look, the way to install is:
1) installing the ordinary Ubuntu 22.04.1 (NOT the UbuntuStudio), choosing "Minimum installation";
2) after installation and rebooted to the Ubuntu 22.04.1 desktop, just skipping all the setting and update;
3) pressing alt-ctrl-T to bring up the Terminal;
4) "sudo su", and then "apt -y install ubuntustudio-installer"; https://ubuntustudio.org/ubuntu-studio-installer/
5) double clicking the colourful icon of "UbuntuStudio Installer" in the app drawer (app drawer is a icons of dots sitting at the lower left hand corner of the screen);
6) after a few seconds a window will pop up and ONLY choosing "linux-lowlatency", and then clicking the "Install selected package" button at the lower right hand corner, and letting it run;
[Image: image.png]
7) after the windows popped out saying it's finished, then click ok/close, and then rebooting the system;
8) after rebooted to the desktop, bringing out the Terminal again, and entering "uname -a" to check the kernel versoin, you'll see "lowlatency" "PREEMP" bla bla bla wording, then it's successfully using UbuntuStudio kernel onward;
9) "sudo su", "apt -y remove ubuntustudio-installer", "apt -y autoremove"
10) the rest is the same as normal SnakeOil Installer working procedure

Enjoy and Have Fun! Big Grin

Curious if others have tried this with Rpi4 as I got interrupted while running the Snakeoil script. Something about wrong processor. I was using the armv7 install 1.2.6. Anyone else try this with Rpi?

Quick Update:

Tried different way of installing Ubuntu Studio on Rpi4 (Took forever!!!) and found that it must be something with the 1.2.6 installer. Encountered this message:

Checking CPU: Wrong installer, please use aarch64 installer. Install aborted with errors!

Tried the 1.2.0 installer and aborts trying to install Snakeoil blob. At least it made it further. When I have more time I will try from scratch and report back.

(13-Sep-2022, 04:15 AM)mkysimes Wrote: Curious if others have tried this with Rpi4 as I got interrupted while running the Snakeoil script. Something about wrong processor. I was using the armv7 install 1.2.6. Anyone else try this with Rpi?

Quick Update:

Tried different way of installing Ubuntu Studio on Rpi4 (Took forever!!!) and found that it must be something with the 1.2.6 installer. Encountered this message:

Checking CPU: Wrong installer, please use aarch64 installer. Install aborted with errors!

Tried the 1.2.0 installer and aborts trying to install Snakeoil blob. At least it made it further. When I have more time I will try from scratch and report back.
RPi4 only works with Raspbian. Although the distros are "similar", the toolchains is likely to be different. I doubt it will work in RPi Ubuntu. Having said that, over time I will investigate that and see if can work around it. At least that way folks can run Roon on the RPi4 platform then.
  • mkysimes

Yeah, Raspian works best for Rpi without a doubt. Had a working Ubuntu/Snakeoil install a few years ago and remember having to jump through some hoops but got it working. 

It is amazing that they all have a diferent sound signature. I remember the Ubuntu install having a very open and detailed sound compared to Rapian but ultimately settled on Raspian for better imaging and more weight in the midrange. At least that's what I remember. That was a while ago though so one of these days curiosity will force me to try to get Ubuntu working again. 

For now I am happy with my Raspian install and Roon works just peachy. Snakeoil OS brings out more details and sounds more "real" than other offerings I've tried. Plus, the added bonus of the best sounding MPD/upnp platform. Can't thank you guys enough for the hours of musical bliss!

Please help me fix error when open mympd (1.2.6 x86_64). Thanks you!

[Image: image.png]

mympd on 1.2.0 run OK, LMS all version run OK.