Snakeoil Installer- 1.2.6 (Gear Isolation U6)
(25-Sep-2022, 04:01 PM)yellowriver Wrote: Please help me fix error when open mympd (1.2.6 x86_64). Thanks you!

mympd on 1.2.0 run OK, LMS all version run OK.

SSH into your Snakeoil computer, and run

Code:
sudo apt install libid3tag0
Does that work for you now?
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(25-Sep-2022, 04:15 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(25-Sep-2022, 04:01 PM)yellowriver Wrote: Please help me fix error when open mympd (1.2.6 x86_64). Thanks you!

mympd on 1.2.0 run OK, LMS all version run OK.

SSH into your Snakeoil computer, and run

Code:
sudo apt install libid3tag0
Does that work for you now?

thansk you. it work OK
Or update to 1.2.8 working ok.
[-] The following 1 user Likes yellowriver's post:
  • agent_kith

Now you we are using standard kernel used by selected distribution for install, but heart of good audiophile machine is proper RT optimized kernel, do you plan to release it for actual 1.2.8 build and so on? On previous major builds was RT kernel as module,of course now its obsolete.

Thank you

(14-Dec-2022, 06:37 PM)ravenman Wrote: Now you we are using standard kernel used by selected distribution for install, but heart of good audiophile machine is proper RT optimized kernel, do you plan to release it for actual 1.2.8 build and so on? On previous major builds was RT kernel as module,of course now its obsolete.

Thank you

If you don't mind to dig a bit deeper in this forum then you'll know he is working on something more interesting.

Hmm, what it is? I don't know, it's sounds interesting

https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Threa...el+builder

(15-Dec-2022, 02:47 AM)ravenman Wrote: Hmm, what it is? I don't know, it's sounds interesting
It's a system that allows you to customise your own kernel.

What we found back when Perth has a GTG is different RT kernels impart a different signature depending on the hardware use. So there really isn't a "one size fits all" solution. The old Snakeoil 1.1 and previous is designed for a specific motherboard/CPU, USB card combo. That rig sounds sublime, as in really really good. 

However, that magic is gone if you install that OS on other hardware platforms. It still sounds good (see the testimonials), however, really something is lost. Elements are there - holographic imaging, depth. But there is this sense of realism that just disappears (the illusion that can almost fool your brains somebody is actually performing in front of you).

Introduction of cpuset seem to bring some of magic back. <- Honestly don't fully understand why this so. I still remembered how excited I felt the first time I tried it. 

The idea is to develop a kernel builder for folks to custom fit a kernel that brings the magic for their hardware to sing, and then more CPUset options to bring it altogether. 

I have two options then - make Snakeoil commercial and dedicate full time but sell the product as a premium, or make it free for everybody to enjoy.  Choose the latter. Call it Snakeoil so folks will be instantly biased against it. That way when they run it first time and hear how good it actually is, they'll realise it's the real thing.

Because Snakeoil is free, pace of development is incredibly slow. Like all things life, Snakeoil development has to take the backstage as things are happening in the real world - covid, life, what not.
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • Snoopy8, hkphantomgtr

Hi
Will snakeoil OS be installable over debian ?
I find ubuntu server especially recent one bloated with their call to home and snap staff, besides I have an underpowered intel nuc atom, so even without a desktop enviroment it takes a lots of seconds to totally startup.
Thank you

(22-Dec-2022, 08:53 PM)labo Wrote: Hi
I find ubuntu server especially recent one bloated with their call to home and snap staff, besides I have an underpowered intel nuc atom, so even without a desktop enviroment it takes a lots of seconds to totally startup.
Thank you
Yet to try it. Have only test run this on Ubuntu systems, but really any debian based system should work in theory. 

Just installed Ubuntu Studio 24.04 on a N3700 and it works well. You might well want to give that a go. Yes, it's also bloated (I uninstalled libreoffice and puseaudio immediately), hopefully will add something in the future to remove some glut.

The slow boot up is normal. Typical distro given kernels have some bloat that will slow down boot up time. The use of a dynamic IP will slow down boot up. Custom kernel and static IP can cut boot up times down to seconds (Provided you're using a SSD obviously).
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • labo

(24-Dec-2022, 11:57 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(22-Dec-2022, 08:53 PM)labo Wrote: Hi
Thank you
Yet to try it. Have only test run this on Ubuntu systems, but really any debian based system should work in theory. 

Just installed Ubuntu Studio 24.04 on a N3700 and it works well. You might well want to give that a go. Yes, it's also bloated (I uninstalled libreoffice and puseaudio immediately), hopefully will add something in the future to remove some glut.

The slow boot up is normal. Typical distro given kernels have some bloat that will slow down boot up time. The use of a dynamic IP will slow down boot up. Custom kernel and static IP can cut boot up times down to seconds (Provided you're using a SSD obviously).

Maybe installing the ordinary Ubuntu with minimal installation 1st and and then replace with Studio's LowLatency kernel.  
You may check from #39 of this thread.