Snakeoil Salesman 2 channel setup
New change to my system. Swapping out the Paul Pang USB card to the SOtM version. My impressions here.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Ordered a SFP network adaptor in late May (first mentioned here). Been nearly two months and I have yet to receive it.

It's been so long and things have changed - have replaced the Meraki switch with a Unifi 8 port. Hope to get this network card soon so I can try if there's any improvement from electrically isolating the playback computer from everything else.

Also, gives me the chance to try out the PCI version of the SOtM card.

And also to run my second PC to respectable specs so I can better work on Snakeoil 1.2.0....

The wait continues. Bored Bored Bored

Here's hoping it isn't being shipped via Fastway/Aramex.

(15-Jul-2020, 04:05 PM)Bromf Wrote: Here's hoping it isn't being shipped via Fastway/Aramex.
Not a lot of visibility on aliexpress unfortunately. Just have to wait and hope it'll get here..

(15-Jul-2020, 09:30 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Ordered a SFP network adaptor in late May (first mentioned here). Been nearly two months and I have yet to receive it.

It's been so long and things have changed - have replaced the Meraki switch with a Unifi 8 port. Hope to get this network card soon so I can try if there's any improvement from electrically isolating the playback computer from everything else.

Also, gives me the chance to try out the PCI version of the SOtM card.

And also to run my second PC to respectable specs so I can better work on Snakeoil 1.2.0....

The wait continues. Bored Bored Bored

Wooh... I guess u simply ask for refund or give up.  Maybe www.fs.com, rs component is better. Big Grin

(16-Jul-2020, 09:56 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Maybe www.fs.com
I recently ordered 2 Generic Compatible 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP from fs.com, but they did not have stock locally. It took 2 weeks to arrive, but they arrive as promised. A friend ordered them later and they arrived within 2 days. So, thumbs up for fs.com.

p/s am connecting Ubiquity EdgeRouter to EtherRegen using ethernet over optical, a small but noticeble improvement (less noise) to isolate NAS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snoopy8's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

Don't think FS do network cards? Regardless still have to wait another 37+ days before I can even ask for a refund... The wait continues...

Received the card last Friday.. Been 87 days I think.. The whole thing was a kind of disaster frankly. For some reason the computer refuse to power up with this card and the PCI SoTM card... And in the process I think it damaged the PCI-e riser.

Not exactly sure what's happening, but I suspect the JS-2 power supply I'm using don't have enough current to feed the PC when starting up.

So my plans to get a proper 2nd PC up and running to test Snakeoil failed.. Of all things that has happened in 2020, I guess this could have gotten a lot worse. Back to the drawing board.

I've been offline for the most part of the past 2 weeks. That's because I've been spending all my available time to clean up the servers on the backend (basically the brains of my house and my media library). From this:

[Image: Re-arranged.png]

To this:

[Image: Rack.jpg]

Still a work in progress but it's about 80% complete. Not only did I clear up more space for storage, I think having all this equipment on the floor makes heat management better. Time will time when Summer comes.

(24-Aug-2020, 07:46 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Received the card last Friday.. Been 87 days I think.. The whole thing was a kind of disaster frankly. For some reason the computer refuse to power up with this card and the PCI SoTM card... And in the process I think it damaged the PCI-e riser.

Not exactly sure what's happening, but I suspect the JS-2 power supply I'm using don't have enough current to feed the PC when starting up.

So my plans to get a proper 2nd PC up and running to test Snakeoil failed.. Of all things that has happened in 2020, I guess this could have gotten a lot worse. Back to the drawing board.
2nd attempt to get things up and running. I have ordered this:
[Image: SFP-Mark2.png]

The current PCI-e riser I am using now is just making a high pitch noise that I couldn't get rid of. So hopefully this one is better, and I get networking without using a riser (it's mini pci-e direct to the network card).

Also, ordered another KVM transmitter so to make it easier for me to install stuffs on the machine remotely. Not sure how many days before I get this, but happy to wait for now.

Yet to order POE splitters (to reduce the number of SMPS in my house), but I want to try everything with SMPS first, and then replace them with POE (so I can see if there's an improvement in audio or not).