Stream FLAC to PS3 with LMS?
Anyone managed to stream FLAC to a PS3 slim?  It picks up LMS and plays mp3 but reports FLAC as LPCM 2bit 2 ch.   I presume the DNLA plugin is sending LPCM, but I cannot get them to play.  I'm not sure what LMS offers to the PS3?

(11-Oct-2018, 02:36 AM)D629497 Wrote: Anyone managed to stream FLAC to a PS3 slim?  It picks up LMS and plays mp3 but reports FLAC as LPCM 2bit 2 ch.   I presume the DNLA plugin is sending LPCM, but I cannot get them to play.  I'm not sure what LMS offers to the PS3?
Hopefully you meant 24 bit LPCM?

You should be able to adjust this in the advanced settings. You can kind of follow this guide, look for the FLAC section, and try out various options so that your PS3 can see it probably...

Without the equipment to verify, I suspect FLAC is streamed out LMS as native FLAC, but PS3 maybe incorrectly detects that as LPCM?
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(11-Oct-2018, 08:24 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(11-Oct-2018, 02:36 AM)D629497 Wrote: Anyone managed to stream FLAC to a PS3 slim?  It picks up LMS and plays mp3 but reports FLAC as LPCM 2bit 2 ch.   I presume the DNLA plugin is sending LPCM, but I cannot get them to play.  I'm not sure what LMS offers to the PS3?
Hopefully you meant 24 bit LPCM?

You should be able to adjust this in the advanced settings. You can kind of follow this guide, look for the FLAC section, and try out various options so that your PS3 can see it probably...

Without the equipment to verify, I suspect FLAC is streamed out LMS as native FLAC, but PS3 maybe incorrectly detects that as LPCM?
I think it must be 24bit and FLAC. PS3 displays 2 bit. I can't seem to get LMS to offer anything else. Maybe try installing LAME?

Thanks

(11-Oct-2018, 04:20 PM)D629497 Wrote: I think it must be 24bit and FLAC. PS3 displays 2 bit. I can't seem to get LMS to offer anything else. Maybe try installing LAME?
LAME will convert it to MP3 though..

What's your settings here?

[Image: LMS_FLAC_Settings.png]

You can set FLAC to disabled, and PCM to FLAC, and see how that goes?

(11-Oct-2018, 04:55 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(11-Oct-2018, 04:20 PM)D629497 Wrote: I think it must be 24bit and FLAC. PS3 displays 2 bit. I can't seem to get LMS to offer anything else. Maybe try installing LAME?
LAME will convert it to MP3 though..

What's your settings here?

[Image: LMS_FLAC_Settings.png]

You can set FLAC to disabled, and PCM to FLAC, and see how that goes?
Thanks, I've tried that. Just digging around it seems that the DNLA/UPnP plugin doesn't do any transcoding.

Can I stream from MPD?

(11-Oct-2018, 06:00 PM)D629497 Wrote: Thanks, I've tried that. Just digging around it seems that the DNLA/UPnP plugin doesn't do any transcoding.

Can I stream from MPD?

MPD are players, so in the world of DLNA they are renderers...

What you'd need is a DLNA server, you can install minimserver from the Snakeoil menu, and set that as your server player. Then your PS3 should be able to pick it up fine.

Another option I guess is to convert some FLACs to WAV, and see if LMS can work properly with that. The downside of this is you've lost the checksum protection provided by the FLAC container.

(12-Oct-2018, 08:57 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(11-Oct-2018, 06:00 PM)D629497 Wrote: Thanks, I've tried that. Just digging around it seems that the DNLA/UPnP plugin doesn't do any transcoding.

Can I stream from MPD?

What you'd need is a DLNA server, you can install minimserver from the Snakeoil menu, and set that as your server player. Then your PS3 should be able to pick it up fine.

Another option I guess is to convert some FLACs to WAV, and see if LMS can work properly with that. The downside of this is you've lost the checksum protection provided by the FLAC container.

I can see minimserver on PS3 but it stll doesn't play FLAC.  I guess I need to understand how to set up transcoding with minimserver.Strangely when I try a standard CD quality WAV file it doesn't play either, says unsupported.

When I get some time I'll look at minimserver and understand it better.  

As always I appreciate your help and advice.  Thanks

(12-Oct-2018, 07:28 PM)D629497 Wrote:
(12-Oct-2018, 08:57 AM)agent_kith Wrote:

Can I stream from MPD?

I can see minimserver on PS3 but it stll doesn't play FLAC.  I guess I need to understand how to set up transcoding with minimserver.Strangely when I try a standard CD quality WAV file it doesn't play either, says unsupported.

When I get some time I'll look at minimserver and understand it better.  

As always I appreciate your help and advice.  Thanks

I may be being a bit thick here?  How does (can it) minimserver play through USB to the DAC?

(13-Oct-2018, 01:02 AM)D629497 Wrote: I may be being a bit thick here?  How does (can it) minimserver play through USB to the DAC? 
It can't. Big Grin Setting Minimserver in the Snakeoil WebApp will turn your machine into a DLNA server only. If you have a DAC connected to the Snakeoil PC, then you can't use that.

It is still possible to run both LMS and minimserver together. But you have to do this manually via some SSH commands. When your play music directly on the Snakeoil PC, it'd go out via LMS, and when you play music via PS3, it will be served via minimserver.

Let me know if that's what you want and I'd try and see if I can work out some quick instructions to do so.

A better approach IMO is to place all your music files on a NAS, and then install a DLNA server (e.g. Plex) on that. Mount your music files as a share in your Snakeoil computer. That increases the box count but in my opinion is more flexible.

Yes, NAS would be a better solution.  

To use minimserver I would need to install minimstreamer and set up transcoding.  Then would I just set up minimserver as a service at start up?