System upgrade
Hi,
If I run apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, the system upgrades.
Is it good to do this or its better leave the system as it is?

(27-Apr-2019, 01:11 AM)SandroN Wrote: If I run apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, the system upgrades.
Is it good to do this or its better leave the system as it is?
It depends... Big Grin For security reasons it's always a good idea to update. Always.

Most audio related critical libraries are custom compiled and stored in /usr/local/lib so Ubuntu updates in general shouldn't affect SQ. However, there are rare cases where I subjectively perceived a difference (sometimes better, sometimes worse).

Also there's distribution upgrades (do-release-upgrade). In my setup, 16.04.x sounds better than 14.04. But 18.04.x seems worse than 16.04. I'm sure if I spend some time and change a few things, 18.04 with some yet to discover tweaks will sound even better than 16.04.

Honestly, I do not know how this works. Everything seems random and completely unpredictable, hence it's really time consuimg to find a distro+version+software combination that works well for me, and everybody else.

This is why I added the Discussions section, to gather more feedback, and for others to share their findings. Goiing back to the "Laurel vs Yanni" video a while back - some hear one or the other, while some will hear both. There is no right or wrong, everyone have to find the unique combination that works best for themselves.

At the end of the day, if something sounds off after a update. Try a differenet player. That usually works for me. And if all else fails, simply reinstall Snakeoil and restart.

So to answer your question, it's always better to update the system - for security reasons. A planned feature for the future version of Snakeoil is to allow you to do this update by just clicking a button in the "System" menu.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Hi there,

I need a bit of a help.
I did a do-realise-update to Ubuntu 18.04.2 and it woks flawlessly, however I can not install the new SnakeOil firmware now.
Is there a way to do it after release update?

Thanks,
Bela

(30-Jun-2019, 09:04 PM)bela.pecsek Wrote: Hi there,

I need a bit of a help.
I did a do-realise-update to Ubuntu 18.04.2 and it woks flawlessly, however I can not install the new SnakeOil firmware now.
Is there a way to do it after release update?
Hi Bela, can you SSH into the machine, and run the following?
Code:
cat /etc/rc.local
Show me the contents of the file. Thanks.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!