UEFI Boot support
Hi Agent Kith,

I'm setting up all of my clients with Intel NUC servers which I intended to get them to run Snakeoil on. These mini PC's are probably the best possible platform for Snakeoil. 1 client just bought one and I'm helping him get Snakeoil running on it. However we discovered that intel discontinued legacy boot support on the latest NUC firmwares. So no way to get Snakeoil to boot. Seems like this is the way everyone is going. Same problem with my Superstream computer. 

If Snakeoil was UEFI boot compatible, it would be able to run on all modern computers. Do you think this is something you will be able to get going?

You can see here it won't be long before Legacy BIOS doesn't work on any computer. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12068/int...fi-by-2020

(25-Nov-2018, 03:13 AM)Mivera Wrote: You can see here it won't be long before Legacy BIOS doesn't work on any computer. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12068/int...fi-by-2020
All my computers that do UEFI works on the Blind Testing ISO. I suspect this is because my UEFI supports emulating the ISO as a CDR. Newer UEFI may be different, and that is when this ISO wouldn't work. Without this hardware I have nothing to go on unfortunately.

Will have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

UEFI vs BIOS is like IPv6 vs IPv4. The newer technologies are so much better, but there really isn't any motivation to move forward despite support from the big boys. Moving to pure IPv6 stack is next to impossible. Transition to UEFI should be easier I think.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(25-Nov-2018, 07:55 AM)agent_kith Wrote: All my computers that do UEFI works on the Blind Testing ISO. I suspect this is because my UEFI supports emulating the ISO as a CDR. Newer UEFI may be different, and that is when this ISO wouldn't work. Without this hardware I have nothing to go on unfortunately.

Will have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

UEFI vs BIOS is like IPv6 vs IPv4. The newer technologies are so much better, but there really isn't any motivation to move forward despite support from the big boys. Moving to pure IPv6 stack is next to impossible. Transition to UEFI should be easier I think.
It's too bad it's so difficult. Because it won't be long before Snakeoil won't run on any computers. I have been running UEFI boot for about 10 years. It's fairly mature technology now.

(25-Nov-2018, 08:22 AM)Mivera Wrote: It's too bad it's so difficult. Because it won't be long before Snakeoil won't run on any computers. I have been running UEFI boot for about 10 years. It's fairly mature technology now. 
So is IPv6 but Android don't support it fully.

Seriously though although I'm not using UEFI in my main rig, almost all my other computers already do UEFI, I can also create a UEFI virtual machine and Blind Testing 1.1.0 all works.. (1.0.0 don't work though as I forgot to include the files to make UEFI boot possible Blush).

As mentioned previously to get the 1.1.0 ISO to boot:
  1. The UEFI must support booting up the ISO as a CD-ROM
  2. The UEFI must allow unsecure/unsigned ISOs to boot.
The advantage of Snakeoil is it's not locked down in anyway. A trick you can do is to install Snakeoil on a BIOS machine, then bring the SSD over to your UEFI computer, and do a repair to convert it to UEFI. See this article. For this to work, you'd still need criteria #2 (the same article will describe how to disable secure boot).

There may be a time when computers have secure boot turned on. Just have to see what happens then.

(25-Nov-2018, 08:51 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(25-Nov-2018, 08:22 AM)Mivera Wrote: It's too bad it's so difficult. Because it won't be long before Snakeoil won't run on any computers. I have been running UEFI boot for about 10 years. It's fairly mature technology now. 
So is IPv6 but Android don't support it fully.

Seriously though although I'm not using UEFI in my main rig, almost all my other computers already do UEFI, I can also create a UEFI virtual machine and Blind Testing 1.1.0 all works.. (1.0.0 don't work though as I forgot to include the files to make UEFI boot possible Blush).

As mentioned previously to get the 1.1.0 ISO to boot:
  1. The UEFI must support booting up the ISO as a CD-ROM
  2. The UEFI must allow unsecure/unsigned ISOs to boot.
The advantage of Snakeoil is it's not locked down in anyway. A trick you can do is to install Snakeoil on a BIOS machine, then bring the SSD over to your UEFI computer, and do a repair to convert it to UEFI. See this article. For this to work, you'd still need criteria #2 (the same article will describe how to disable secure boot).

There may be a time when computers have secure boot turned on. Just have to see what happens then. 

I will play around some more. I spent a couple weeks trying already for the Minnowboard with no luck. It seems like if RUFUS doesn't recognize it as UEFI bootable, either does the computer.

I have tried with Secure boot off as well.

I'm going to try the trick in the screenshot. How do I get to this in Snakeoil?

[Image: Screen-Shot-2018-11-24-at-5-20-33-PM.png]

(25-Nov-2018, 09:18 AM)Mivera Wrote: I will play around some more. I spent a couple weeks trying already for the Minnowboard with no luck. It seems like if RUFUS doesn't recognize it as UEFI bootable, either does the computer.
May be wrong here. But the trick is to create this as a normal ISO. Your computer's UEFI will see this USB stick as a CD-ROM and proceed to boot on there.

What you describe may well be a re-authoring of the ISO to convert that into a UEFI boot disk?

(25-Nov-2018, 09:18 AM)Mivera Wrote: I'm going to try the trick in the screenshot. How do I get to this in Snakeoil?
You have to install Snakeoil on a BIOS computer, then unplug that drive and connect to your Minnowboard. Then boot up a normal Ubunutu ISO and go into rescue mode.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • Mivera

Debated whether to start a new thread or post here.   I spent a day trying to install SnakeOil on a 8th Gen Intel NUC, with no success.  I tried using Rufus, with and without DD, and a few others as well.  Had to enable legacy boot on the NUC and went round in circles with different errors including Grub errors, could not find live image file etc.  I am guessing but maybe some of my problems are with the NUC having USB 3 ports only and my usb sticks were USB 2???  And yes, I did include the Intel network card workaround.  I have some basic Linux knowledge but no way enough to work out how to get the install working.  And will not be able to do what was posted earlier in this thread.

I was hoping to use SnakeOil as a super light weight Minimserver server to do heavy duty convolution, transcoding.  I do hope that one day, SnakeOil will install out of the box with an Intel NUC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snoopy8's post:
  • agent_kith

Hi agent_kith 

No work your OS System ASRock J3455M.
Ubuntu and Mint yes, pendrive boot ok, live install ok, boot ok, BUT Snakeoil OS NO. 
Snakeoil OS: No work boot pendrive, only CD (need install) and video support problem, enter blind mode!! No screen. Very slow boot, and next time VNC install. Install OK, but next boot NO. No screen, no work. 
Please create normal iso, more devices support. (like Ubuntu)
ASRock J3455M - special UEFI!!!

(22-Jul-2019, 02:30 AM)Toto Wrote: ASRock J3455M - special UEFI!!!
I would love to.. Sad As i mentioned somewhere, my support and dev time is free. Everything else, it depends on the project donations. Realstically until there is enough donations coming in, there's very little I can do.

For now, just setup CSM and boot up the PC in legacy mode. BIOS is not going away anytime soon. Folks who already got this to work, please post a step by step HOW-TO here.

Or wait till I get my Ryzen server. That should give me another PC with EFI to play with. But there's no gurantee it'll work with the J3455M. Until then, there are other audiophile software that's better resourced, I highly recommend Daphile.