USB 3.0 external storage install
Hi Kith,
I have a question about persistent install on USB drive, I am not intend to carry the OS to other system and expect it will work without tweak, however I am hoping to have a music only system share the same HTPC with minimum risk of messing things up by my kids or wife... so the only safe solution is to keep the boot drive unpluged when I am not using it. I have tried the followings without success (Working beautifully if I install in on local hard disk though):

1. Full install to external USB 3.0 SSD, it stop booting after my last sudo apt-get updated, not very reliable
2. Unetbootin on USB flash drive with 8G persistent on 16G USB stick, fail to boot
3. Rufus to create image on USB stick and Casper-RW creation tool from PendriveLinux for persistent, fail to boot
4. MKUSB to create USB drive, fail to boot

I do not expect to update the kernel with this approach, just want to install and updates add-ons, Snakeoil fw etc and of course keeping my information after reboot, what is the best method?

Best regards,

William

Hi William,

LiveCD mode with persistant is not particularly efficient as it's using a form of overlay file system. Easiest and probably best way is to use two USBs.. Write the Live CD USB to one USB, and the insert both USB into the PC you want. (Make sure you set the BIOS to boot from the correct USB).

Now get into POST, and Snakeoil OS Live CD mode should boot up, install the OS directly into your second USB stick. And it should work from then on. This should be what you did with your USB SSD before. And in theory SSB should have better audio quality than USB stick.

Can you take a picture of the error after you did apt-get update?
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(09-Jul-2018, 04:03 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Hi William,

LiveCD mode with persistant is not particularly efficient as it's using a form of overlay file system. Easiest and probably best way is to use two USBs.. Write the Live CD USB to one USB, and the insert both USB into the PC you want. (Make sure you set the BIOS to boot from the correct USB).

Now get into POST, and Snakeoil OS Live CD mode should boot up, install the OS directly into your second USB stick. And it should work from then on. This should be what you did with your USB SSD before. And in theory SSB should have better audio quality than USB stick.

Can you take a picture of the error after you did apt-get update?

Hi Kith,
I believed I made a mistake by booting the legacy USB drive with Uefi boot mode, the same drive boot flawlessly from other computer with legacy boot mode.

So I pick another class 10 microSD on a USB adaptor did a full install again, GRUB install at / partition, no problem at all, everything working as expected, I am using beta 4 with pipe output on Asus U7 working as active crossover for my LX521.

Sounds excellent Clap Clap Clap

I will continue testing it, by the way when will be the beta to be released in production?

Great thanks on making an excellent product.

William
[-] The following 1 user Likes vv329's post:
  • agent_kith

(10-Jul-2018, 10:19 PM)vv329 Wrote: I believed I made a mistake by booting the legacy USB drive with Uefi boot mode, the same drive boot flawlessly from other computer with legacy boot mode.

So I pick another class 10 microSD on a USB adaptor did a full install again, GRUB install at / partition, no problem at all, everything working as expected, I am using beta 4 with pipe output on Asus U7 working as active crossover for my LX521.
Nice. Will be interesting if you can share your setup and config here as I'm not famliar with using computers as a crossover.

(10-Jul-2018, 10:19 PM)vv329 Wrote: Sounds excellent Clap Clap Clap

I will continue testing it, by the way when will be the beta to be released in production?
Havn't spent enough time on testing Blind Testing at the moment, also yet to test the ISO file. It'd be released once I am confident enough with the stability. Will appreciate if you can help me test the current beta 4 and let me know if you find any problems, bugs, crashes etc.

(10-Jul-2018, 10:19 PM)vv329 Wrote: Great thanks on making an excellent product.
It's my pleasure. Beta 4 is the best release yet. Note that the current install and config is tuned to my system and will be sub-optimal else where. To get the best sound quality, you have to explore all the settings/config and tweak Snakeoil to make it your own. Thumbs Up
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!