Unable to connect to NAS - what settings should I use?
I managed to install an older v1.10 version of snake oil os onto an old dell netbook. It is running but for the life of me I cannot connect to my synology nas.

I go to Music Library -> Mount Points configuration and I have these settings

Media = //192.168.1.113/music (I confirmed this share works because i can mount this in windows and I can see the songs)
Mount point = /media/music/nas
Mount type = CIFS

Windows authentication
windows account = redacted
password = redacted
Domain/Workgroup = workgroup

it is not working and it says there is mount error 95.

What settings should I use?

Thanks
flip

(14-Aug-2021, 03:41 PM)fliptoback Wrote: I managed to install an older v1.10 version of snake oil os onto an old dell netbook. It is running but for the life of me I cannot connect to my synology nas.

Media = //192.168.1.113/music (I confirmed this share works because i can mount this in windows and I can see the songs)
Mount type = CIFS

Windows authentication
password = redacted

Thanks
flip
....any non-standard characters in the password ? ....
Try just Mount point =music
I usually use WORKGROUP but not sure that it is case sensitive..

(14-Aug-2021, 04:45 PM)Bromf Wrote:
(14-Aug-2021, 03:41 PM)fliptoback Wrote: I managed to install an older v1.10 version of snake oil os onto an old dell netbook. It is running but for the life of me I cannot connect to my synology nas.

Mount type = CIFS

Windows authentication
password = redacted

Thanks
flip
....any non-standard characters in the password ? ....
Try just Mount point =music
I usually use WORKGROUP but not sure that it is case sensitive..

Thanks for reply. There are no non-standard characters in the password. I now tried your setting and it still say error 95.

By the way I have SMB3 enabled on the Synology.

looking in my 'big book of connections'  I see that for Snakeoil I have the following. in the appropriate fields..

//omvhpt.local/music    music  CIFS  'usernamer for NAS share' 'password for NAS share'  WORKGROUP

where omvhpt.local/music is the NAS share

Thanks. my nas has a hostname of deepspace. 

If I change the share to //deepspace.local/music, it throws an error to say that it cannot resolve the name.

my other settings are similar to yours. Why is it not working for me?

Any other ideas?

is '/music' the only share on the synology or is the path different ? (has the Synology other folders...video..files..etc below a mount point ?)

(14-Aug-2021, 05:36 PM)Bromf Wrote: is '/music' the only share on the synology or is the path different ? (has the Synology other folders...video..files..etc below a mount point ?)

On my synology I have many "shared" folders and "music" is one of the ones where I kept the FLACs, alongside with "media" where I keep the movies.

The physical folders on the NAS is /volume1/music but this "/volume1" is what you will see if you SSH into the NAS. From windows this is not visible.

So on my windows box I can mount drive m to the share //192.168.1.113/music (after login with the username/password).

After tearing all my hairs out... I figured this out. It turns out that for whatever reason snakeoil wanted to connect only using SMB v1 and my Synology NAS is configured to have the minimum SMB version as v2 and max SMB version as v3. So Snakeoil keeps throwing that Error 95 message. I have now verified that if I set the NAS to use a minimum SMB v1, the connection from snakeoil now works.

However, this is not what i want my NAS to be configured with, so I reset SMB minimum to SMB v2.

Then i thought to give NFS a try.

This is what I did:
1. In Synology control panel - File services - Enable NFS. Check this checkbox.

2. In Synology control panel - Shared folder - go to the music folder - click Edit. Navigate to NFS permissions. Create a new NFS rule.

In the dialog box, this is what i did (not sure if these are the optimum settings)

Hostname = 192.168.1.159 (this is the hostname of my snakeoil pc)
privilege = read only
Squash = map all users to guest
Security = sys
Allow users to access mounted subfolders = tick

Now in snakeoil os, set the mount points as follows:
media = 192.168.1.113:/volume1/music
mount point = leave it empty
mount type = NFS

and now everything works!

(14-Aug-2021, 08:14 PM)fliptoback Wrote: After tearing all my hairs out... I figured this out. It turns out that for whatever reason snakeoil wanted to connect only using SMB v1 and my Synology NAS is configured to have the minimum SMB version as v2 and max SMB version as v3. So Snakeoil keeps throwing that Error 95 message. I have now verified that if I set the NAS to use a minimum SMB v1, the connection from snakeoil now works.
Using the old ISO with the RT kernel?

If yes, you need to use the kernel here to get v2/v3: Link (Filesystems)

Nothing intrinsically bad about SMB v1. Especially if you control your own network, but if you have other IoT devices on the same network, maybe not a good idea to use just v1. This issue will automatically go away once I get my damn arse back on the chair and finish the GUI. Sad
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(15-Aug-2021, 09:56 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(14-Aug-2021, 08:14 PM)fliptoback Wrote: After tearing all my hairs out... I figured this out. It turns out that for whatever reason snakeoil wanted to connect only using SMB v1 and my Synology NAS is configured to have the minimum SMB version as v2 and max SMB version as v3. So Snakeoil keeps throwing that Error 95 message. I have now verified that if I set the NAS to use a minimum SMB v1, the connection from snakeoil now works.
Using the old ISO with the RT kernel?

If yes, you need to use the kernel here to get v2/v3: Link (Filesystems)

Nothing intrinsically bad about SMB v1. Especially if you control your own network, but if you have other IoT devices on the same network, maybe not a good idea to use just v1. This issue will automatically go away once I get my damn arse back on the chair and finish the GUI. Sad

Thanks Agent_kith. I now tried your suggestion and now have the 4.4.9.rt17-amd64-filesystems dragged to the firmware update window. I then try to select this particular kernel in the snakeoil section and press save.

It gives me an error that says grub.template is missing.

What should I do?