Using Snakeoil on a Minnowboard TurboT
(27-Jul-2018, 04:12 AM)Mivera Wrote: Tried it and still won't boot. However I didn't update the kernel because I can't browse into the files with either my Windows or Mac computers.
Did you see an initial menu screen, like this?

[Image: Initial_Boot.png]
Make sure you disable secure EFI (as Snakeoil will not boot if your EFI is in secure mode).

Did you write the USB in ISO mode, or DD mode? If you write in ISO mode, you should be able to modify the contents.

I'd retest this more later tonight or over the weekend.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

No didn't get to the menu. I got "no disk found" But it was different than usual and said GRUB. So went further than before. Secure boot is off. And I wrote in ISO mode.

(27-Jul-2018, 10:26 AM)Mivera Wrote: No didn't get to the menu. I got "no disk found" Secure boot is off. And I wrote in ISO mode.
Then something is wrong somewhere. Did you follow the instructions here? (I'm not sure if this is up to date with the latest version, will check later after work).

What version of rufus are you running?

(27-Jul-2018, 10:31 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(27-Jul-2018, 10:26 AM)Mivera Wrote: No didn't get to the menu. I got "no disk found" Secure boot is off. And I wrote in ISO mode.
Then something is wrong somewhere. Did you follow the instructions here? (I'm not sure if this is up to date with the latest version, will check later after work).

What version of rufus are you running? 

I used etcher this time. I can try with Rufus.

(27-Jul-2018, 02:00 PM)Mivera Wrote: I used etcher this time. I can try with Rufus. 
Try it and let me know how it goes.Thumbs Up .

Regardless UEFI or BIOS, you should see the boot menu shown earlier. The difference is you cannot run memtest+86 when in UEFI mode but you can when in BIOS. You can use this test to figure out what mode you're in.

That's about all I can do now. Without the hardware I am working blind, and to be honest, even with the hardware there's no guarantee it'd work. There's just not enough time for me to investigate this at the moment. As mentioned earlier, there are ways to re-author the ISO. Try and find how to do this from the Internet, and when you find something that works, please post back here so others can benefit. Thumbs Up

Rufus is telling me that your image isn't EFI compatible. I can only burn in Bios mode. I think when we get to the point where Rufus thinks your image is EFI compatible, and let's me burn in EFI mode, it will work.

However when I burn in Bios mode I am getting this message which is more than I was getting with your previous images:

[Image: unnamed_1.jpg]

(28-Jul-2018, 04:02 AM)Mivera Wrote: Rufus is telling me that your image isn't EFI compatible. I can only burn in Bios mode. I think when we get to the point where Rufus thinks your image is EFI compatible, and let's me burn in EFI mode, it will work.
Out of curiosity. Can you run 'ls' in the above screen. What does it say?

The default Rufus creates the ISO as BIOS + UEFI CSM (or something like that). In the Snakeoil manual (using an older version of Rufus), it says 'Bios or UEFI'. You should always create the USB stick in this mode.

This mode simply means the stick will boot on any computer - i.e. if you have a computer that uses BIOS, this stick will work. If another computer is using EFI (unsecured), the same stick will also work.

Another ISO is provided via PM, this has the kernel that will hopefully work for your Minnow board.

Try and and see how it goes. Use both Rufus and Etecher (I tested Etecher and confirmed it doesn't create a FAT32 filesystem like Rufus can). Try and boot as a CD Image too if you can. Some UEFI BIOS allows you load an ISO like it's a CD Image. Or use a physical CD-R.

If this latest ISO still doesn't work. Then this is out of my hands for now. You can continue to experiment and re-author the contents to create a UEFI boot disk. I will re-look into this after the Raspberrry Pi port.

(28-Jul-2018, 08:50 AM)agent_kith Wrote:  I will re-look into this after the Raspberry Pi port. 

!!! Cool Thanks      (No disrespect Mivera....)    but..... A Raspberry Pi Port  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Smile