[SOLVED] VNC / SSH connection available when running in RAM?
Is it possible to access the machine using VNC or SSH when starting the GUI in RAM mode?

RealVNC gives the message 'connection was refused by the host computer'. I have tried entering the IP of the computer directly and tried port 1 and 5901. I don't expect this to be a firewalll problem as I can access all other computers on my network without any problem.

I have also tried to connect via SSH (using Putty). For this I need to enter a password. However I don't have one. Resetting it via the 'Home' tab doesn't work as it needs to have a userid for that and it seems that it can't find one. You can also see this because it states "Your user account is: . You can login using a ssh client remotely or directly...." on the 'Home' page.

Regard,
Leonard
 Go to solution Reply

the ISO is authored as a LiveCD session, and the user is added automatically (i think with gid 999).. If you boot up the system in persistent mode vncserver will not load.

all this can be changed in theory once you setup a casper-rw filesystem I think. I will try this soon.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • Leonard

Hi Agent_Kith,
It seems that I have the casper-rw filesystem working now.
However, not able to logon via  SSH yet as I still haven't a username. (see attachment in first post)

Regards,
Leonard

(28-Apr-2016, 09:28 AM)agent_kith Wrote: the ISO is authored as a LiveCD session, and the user is added automatically (i think with gid 999).. If you boot up the system in persistent mode vncserver will not load.

all this can be changed in theory once you setup a casper-rw filesystem I think. I will try this soon.

(03-May-2016, 06:54 AM)Leonard Wrote: Hi Agent_Kith,
It seems that I have the casper-rw filesystem working now.
However, not able to logon via  SSH yet as I still haven't a username. (see attachment in first post)
You'd need to add the user manually. To do this, you need to connect a monitor and keyboard to the Snakeoil machine. From the GUI, right click and select "Terminal", this will start up a command shell.

Then run the following command to create a new user (where user_name is the name of your choice, e.g. Leonard):
Code:
sudo adduser user_name
Next, you'd need to give it a password
Code:
sudo passwd user_name
Type in the password (twice).

Finally you'd need to add this new user to the adm group (this is a very important step):
Code:
sudo useradd -G adm user_name

And that should work. More information about adduser here and useradd here.

Once you add a user, the live session user will no longer be created, and you will loose admin access. So verify that the new user is created properly by SSH in from another machine. And once you get in, run
Code:
sudo su
Enter the password you entered previously, and see if you see root. And if it does, you can reboot and see what happens. 

If anything goes wrong, just go to the casper-rw parition, and remove the files and restart again. Let me know how it goes.

Another way is to install Snakeoil directly to a USB. This will be more straight forward as all files are writable (unlike persistent, where it boots from a read-only image, and then make changes via casper-rw).
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • Leonard

Solved! I have been able to create a new user and access my streamer via SSH.
Now I can also start the VNCserver on the streamer remotely.

Tnx for you help :-)