add ram mount on SO machine as a share?
Is this possible?  I would like to be able to play what is loaded into ram on the SO machine via LMS on another PC on the local network.

I have tried adding via NFS->   SO machine IP/media/music/ram and that does not work.  The LMS instance on the SO machine (accessed via remote) can do it as you can browse to the ram and play it.   How can I do it from LMS on another PC at a separate IP address?

[Image: Screenshot-2023-02-06-15-27-04-1280x1280.jpg]
Just tried a quick setup on SO. Selected LMS (which says no other configuration)  then  went to the SO IP:9000   (192.xxx.xxx.x:9000) and brought up its webpage where it should be able to be configured for other remote players.
When I get the chance later I will boot a Daphile player out in the workshop and see what works..
Though I am not sure you would achieve the benefit you expect by doing this.

cheers Bob.

Yes, that works. Daphile is configured as a player and using the SO IP as External server .
Currently playing the content from ram and the Daphile player is shown and controlled from the SO IP:9000 page where the Daphile player and its output devices can be selected..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bromf's post:
  • cpcat

Yes - that was hopeful, but it ends up being identical to using the LMS remote icon inside SO.  I want to be able to play the ram mount from another instance of LMS.

Got it.  Had to use CIFS and put in my password.

Both of the bottom 2 worked.  As you can see NFS didn’t.

Now I just navigate through the music folder in the player tab to see/play what is loaded in ram on the SO machine.

It works fine with squeeze - have to play with it some and confirm it works with upmpdcli/mpd as well.

[-] The following 1 user Likes cpcat's post:
  • Bromf

Yes, on the LMS :9000 page select Home>Music Folder and the options (mine) are Media. NAS1. Nas2. Ram.
Having copied files to the ram-drive in the main SO page I then select Ram from above and play to the Daphile player.
The files from ram are played to the remote Daphile player.

Not sure of your use case ?  On SO where LMS and the player are integral the file goes direct to the player.
Both your and my cases send the files over network to the player (or server)
Using 2 separate LMS server / player instances I have always understood that the server should do the lifting and the player simply plays .

I suppose one could send the file to another SO instance (or Daphile) where it played from ram there ?
  • cpcat

Maybe I am confused in what you are saying-but just to clarify- I am
now able to do everything from the LMS/ Daphile PC
at the separate IP from the SO machine.  I don’t need to go to the SO :9000 LMS.  I still have the 
separate PC LMS/daphile set to internal server and can go through the regular music folder and access the snakeoilram.

It only needs squeeze on the SO machine 
to work -LMS is disabled on SO machine.

Will confirm that it works with mpd/upmcdli later but can’t see why it wouldn’t.

Yes but it is not  playing from ram. That only happens on the SO machine where LMS and player are contiguous.
When you play from ram on daphile is it being sent from the SO ram drive or over the network then from Daphile ram ?

Daphile has its own ram-disk player so instead of using NAS>SO ramdisk >network>Daphile>LMS>player why not just NAS>Daphile>ramdisk>player ?
  • cpcat

Thanks-I’m not sure why it would not be playing from ram on the SO machine, though.  Are you saying that when you use an mpd client like MPDplayer/mpad/ you don't play from SO ram either?  How do I confirm/deny it is playing from somewhere else?  What happens when I  play from NAS from daphile (or from an MPD client)?  

When daphile uses its player it is attached physically to the dac.  In that case you have sox and buffer settings under settings->audio devices.  Right now I have nothing other than "no compatible audio devices" and an info tab indicating "Kernel audio driver parameters " and "Module: snd_pcm"  -see pic below.  This normally is what it reports when acting as server only.

I will play around with it some more.   I can look in the log in daphile, and can navigate to daphile's ram as well and look.  You can argue that whatever player is playing, it buffers anyway and whether play from ram even makes a difference - that is a whole other discussion though.  Finally, when playing from ram in daphile , it will indicate "processed by sox" on the info when double tapping on now playing song.  Will also try the play-from-ram button in Daphile just for fun/ diagnostics —more later. 😊 

With regards to the question on why not just use Daphile - that was my setup before.  I had a server/player setup with two LMS/Daphile installations , but I like the way SO sounds and would like to use it as player to the DAC.

Conclusion first:

Ok, have had a chance to play with this for a bit.  SO caches (approximately) one song in memory with either mpd or squeeze players and for mpd it is the same whether over upmpdcli or via myMPD.  So, at least for these players, it doesn’t matter where you control from in my view, or whether you play from memory- so use your favorite interface/server from anywhere you want as long as SO is connected directly to your DAC.  For me, that means Daphile/LMS and I can choose between mpd and squeeze on my whim due to the ingenious design of SO. 😊 

Thesis/method:

Supposing that ”playing from memory” doesn’t matter, I added an album to RAM from SO machine and played with myMPD, mpd over upmpcdli, squeeze with LMS on SO machine, squeeze with Daphile/LMS.  I then deleted ram (while still playing album) on the Snakeoil machine by “replace ram” on each of these.  EVERY time, the song playing would continue until finished - then the playlist would stop.  So….see above conclusion. 😊

btw playing from memory absolutely DOES matter but with the implementation of SO it happens automatically, so….see above 😊

Do others players do this too?  Yes.  Is there another platform like this that allows switching among digital players, as well as addition of players/features based on an active developer, low resource usage linux, etc, all while headless?  Not that I am aware of.

Snakeoil!