dsd over hdmi
(09-Sep-2020, 08:37 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(09-Sep-2020, 12:42 AM)anewmission Wrote: Ok so this is how far I have gotten.
I updated Kodi (libreelec) to the latest 18.8.
I searched through the audio encoders and decoders and couldn't find a dad plugin.
It does play the files but I'm pretty sure it converts to pcm at 44.1

Unfortunately today the video output of my Denon 3808ci has stopped working. I do think it's something to do with my TV and the amp and they just aren't talking to each other properly.
A tiny DSD logo will show up on the amp LCD if the input is receiving native DSD bitstream. Snakeoil should see onboard HDMI (Intel HDA) as an audio device, having said that, it's not gonna work as the Denon 3808 will only do DSD if it's encrypted.
(09-Sep-2020, 12:42 AM)anewmission Wrote: I'm still using a trusty pioneer kuro in this setup, if anyone has any idea what it could be, please let me know.

I still see the boot up screen when I turn the media centre pc but then as it runs through bootuo the resolution changes alot and for some reason it's just not showing video. I did get it to show up for about 10 seconds a little while ago but it just went black again.
Could be a handshake issue? Try a difference HDMI cable if you can.
(09-Sep-2020, 12:42 AM)anewmission Wrote: The Denon gui is horrible.
It is.. Big Grin This was my trusty amp back in the day. At the time it's the only one that does HDCP correctly out of the box. All other AVRs at the time have heaps of problems. It's also built solidly (at that time "Made In Japan" actually meant something).
(09-Sep-2020, 12:42 AM)anewmission Wrote: I will do a snake oil os test this week also. However when I go into the backend of my dedicated snake oil machine, it is only showing my usb DAC, it did at one point have the option of using hdmi .

The best would be if I can get snake oil working with hdmi dsd, then I will dual boot Kodi (libreelec) and snake oil for music .

Another strange thing that is happening is if I switch to mpd v20 or 21 I can no longer access the mod page where you update your library. I usually have it set to minimserver using upmpcli. Though the library is only updating in bubbleupnp app and not in M.A.L.P which is a straight forward mpd app .
Hmm. Check the kernel section and see if I have one for Intel HDA (also make sure you setup your onboard audio as HDA and not AC97)... I'll see if I can generate a custom kernel later this weekend if one is not there.

My grand plans of a webpage for you to customise and build a kernel still hasn't got off. Been so busy lately I am too tired to do much after work (if I work on Snakeoil after work I'll be too tired for work which is not good)... Alas I can't get enough traction on this Snakeoil project to make it my full time job.. It's a chicken and egg problem right now. Aim is to work this project into open source, then other folks can come in and help.. Hope I can make that transition sooner rather than later.

Yes, Bromf is right.  Please take good care of yourself first, Mr. Kith Agent.  Shy
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • agent_kith

(10-Sep-2020, 09:24 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote:
(09-Sep-2020, 08:37 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(09-Sep-2020, 12:42 AM)anewmission Wrote: Ok so this is how far I have gotten.
I updated Kodi (libreelec) to the latest 18.8.
I searched through the audio encoders and decoders and couldn't find a dad plugin.
It does play the files but I'm pretty sure it converts to pcm at 44.1

Unfortunately today the video output of my Denon 3808ci has stopped working. I do think it's something to do with my TV and the amp and they just aren't talking to each other properly.
A tiny DSD logo will show up on the amp LCD if the input is receiving native DSD bitstream. Snakeoil should see onboard HDMI (Intel HDA) as an audio device, having said that, it's not gonna work as the Denon 3808 will only do DSD if it's encrypted.
(09-Sep-2020, 12:42 AM)anewmission Wrote: I'm still using a trusty pioneer kuro in this setup, if anyone has any idea what it could be, please let me know.

I still see the boot up screen when I turn the media centre pc but then as it runs through bootuo the resolution changes alot and for some reason it's just not showing video. I did get it to show up for about 10 seconds a little while ago but it just went black again.
Could be a handshake issue? Try a difference HDMI cable if you can.
(09-Sep-2020, 12:42 AM)anewmission Wrote: The Denon gui is horrible.
It is.. Big Grin This was my trusty amp back in the day. At the time it's the only one that does HDCP correctly out of the box. All other AVRs at the time have heaps of problems. It's also built solidly (at that time "Made In Japan" actually meant something).
(09-Sep-2020, 12:42 AM)anewmission Wrote: I will do a snake oil os test this week also. However when I go into the backend of my dedicated snake oil machine, it is only showing my usb DAC, it did at one point have the option of using hdmi .

The best would be if I can get snake oil working with hdmi dsd, then I will dual boot Kodi (libreelec) and snake oil for music .

Another strange thing that is happening is if I switch to mpd v20 or 21 I can no longer access the mod page where you update your library. I usually have it set to minimserver using upmpcli. Though the library is only updating in bubbleupnp app and not in M.A.L.P which is a straight forward mpd app .
Hmm. Check the kernel section and see if I have one for Intel HDA (also make sure you setup your onboard audio as HDA and not AC97)... I'll see if I can generate a custom kernel later this weekend if one is not there.

My grand plans of a webpage for you to customise and build a kernel still hasn't got off. Been so busy lately I am too tired to do much after work (if I work on Snakeoil after work I'll be too tired for work which is not good)... Alas I can't get enough traction on this Snakeoil project to make it my full time job.. It's a chicken and egg problem right now. Aim is to work this project into open source, then other folks can come in and help.. Hope I can make that transition sooner rather than later.

Yes, Bromf is right.  Please take good care of yourself first, Mr. Kith Agent.  Shy
im really still trying to just get kodi to pass through the avr at the moment, sound is coming out fine.
i bought a new graphics card. nvidia 1030 silent. although it wont fit in with my current power supply.
i will get a chance tonight to plug a bluray player and possibly do a psu swap the the pc to see if i am getting any picture.
i dont believe the hdmi board is broken as it does show the bootup screen and i can also access the gui when kodi is not plugged into the avr
i upgraded to the newest kodi (libreelec)

(15-Sep-2020, 07:04 PM)anewmission Wrote: i bought a new graphics card. nvidia 1030 silent. although it wont fit in with my current power supply.
Make sure you set the digital out volume to 100%. That could be a reason why bitstreaming isn't working properly.

(15-Sep-2020, 07:04 PM)anewmission Wrote: i will get a chance tonight to plug a bluray player and possibly do a psu swap the the pc to see if i am getting any picture.
i dont believe the hdmi board is broken as it does show the bootup screen and i can also access the gui when kodi is not plugged into the avr
i upgraded to the newest kodi (libreelec)
Pretty sure the video board is working if you see OSD (and GUI). As I didn't get to see anything when I blew mine up. What output resolution did you set on the PC? Make sure it's 1080P or lower (3080CI don't do 4K).
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!