"remote button" under mpd in music player software,fails with "unable to connect:
I have snakeoil 1.26 updated to 1.27 installed on a raspberry pi. I am using MPD (0.23.5)  through a usb dac (modi3). Sound is excellent and all of the control panels appear to work. The one hiccup is the remote icon in the software section at the end of the mpd listing "remote" fails with an unable to connect error. I have restarted, used different browsers, etc but the error continues. It looks like mympd should be starting (a mouseover on the icon reads mympd). I can partially control mpd from a remote client on my windows computer, or android phone. but not from the snakeoil web app. Any suggestions?

John

fixed.

(21-Sep-2022, 03:03 AM)criminalzen Wrote: I have snakeoil 1.26 updated to 1.27 installed on a raspberry pi. I am using MPD (0.23.5)  through a usb dac (modi3). Sound is excellent and all of the control panels appear to work. The one hiccup is the remote icon in the software section at the end of the mpd listing "remote" fails with an unable to connect error. I have restarted, used different browsers, etc but the error continues. It looks like mympd should be starting (a mouseover on the icon reads mympd). I can partially control mpd from a remote client on my windows computer, or android phone. but not from the snakeoil web app. Any suggestions?

John

fixed.
Hi John, please post your solution on how you fixed it. I believe others have the same issue, and your experience here would help others. Thanks Smile
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(21-Sep-2022, 07:36 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(21-Sep-2022, 03:03 AM)criminalzen Wrote: I have snakeoil 1.26 updated to 1.27 installed on a raspberry pi. I am using MPD (0.23.5)  through a usb dac (modi3). Sound is excellent and all of the control panels appear to work. The one hiccup is the remote icon in the software section at the end of the mpd listing "remote" fails with an unable to connect error. I have restarted, used different browsers, etc but the error continues. It looks like mympd should be starting (a mouseover on the icon reads mympd). I can partially control mpd from a remote client on my windows computer, or android phone. but not from the snakeoil web app. Any suggestions?

John

fixed.
Hi John, please post your solution on how you fixed it. I believe others have the same issue, and your experience here would help others. Thanks Smile

Sorry, I got carried away with mympd and playing music.. :

I fixed the issue by trying to start mympd from command line and learned that libid3tag.so.0 was not installed. After a few attempts I installed libid3tag* which I knew would probably install the missing files. It did.  I tried to start it again and it started but stopped with an error about its config directory"/var/lib/mympd/config". The directory was there along with a "state" directory, but the config directory was owned by root, and not writeable to user mympd so I changed the permissions to 777 as the easiest solution. I assumed user mympd would be writing the config file ? Anyway I restarted my pi, reloaded the snakeoil webapp, went to the music player section hit the remote icon and bam! I had mympd. I knew something like it must be in the music mpd section and it started my searches of the snakeoil os forums for clues. I am not saying this is the approved solution, there are more elegant ways I would assume - world writeable directories are usually frowned upon - but I am the only one using the machine so I took a short cut. Anyway I am thrilled with snake oil after a few years with moode. And will be making a second "donation" now that I see what it is.. Smile

John
[-] The following 1 user Likes criminalzen's post:
  • Snoopy8

(21-Sep-2022, 08:42 AM)criminalzen Wrote: Sorry, I got carried away with mympd and playing music.. :

I fixed the issue by trying to start mympd from command line and learned that libid3tag.so.0 was not installed. After a few attempts I installed libid3tag* which I knew would probably install the missing files. It did.  I tried to start it again and it started but stopped with an error about its config directory"/var/lib/mympd/config". The directory was there along with a "state" directory, but the config directory was owned by root, and not writeable to user mympd so I changed the permissions to 777 as the easiest solution. I assumed user mympd would be writing the config file ? Anyway I restarted my pi, reloaded the snakeoil webapp, went to the music player section hit the remote icon and bam! I had mympd. I knew something like it must be in the music mpd section and it started my searches of the snakeoil os forums for clues. I am not saying this is the approved solution, there are more elegant ways I would assume - world writeable directories are usually frowned upon - but I am the only one using the machine so I took a short cut. Anyway I am thrilled with snake oil after a few years with moode. And will be making a second "donation" now that I see what it is.. Smile

John
Hmm. The upgrade script of 1.2.7 is supposed to fix up all the file permissions, and install libid3tag.. Unsure why that isn't working.. :/ Something for me to double check later again. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: I checked the upgrade scripts and it should already be doing all the things you've said. What version of Raspbian are you using? I'll probably fire up a fresh install and re-try this sometime later as I couldn't recreate this issue.

(24-Sep-2022, 10:17 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(21-Sep-2022, 08:42 AM)criminalzen Wrote: Sorry, I got carried away with mympd and playing music.. :

John
Hmm. The upgrade script of 1.2.7 is supposed to fix up all the file permissions, and install libid3tag.. Unsure why that isn't working.. :/ Something for me to double check later again. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: I checked the upgrade scripts and it should already be doing all the things you've said. What version of Raspbian are you using? I'll probably fire up a fresh install and re-try this sometime later as I couldn't recreate this issue.
Ok I have done a couple of reinstalls and have identified the problem (I think). This is for 1.26 snakeoil installer for raspberry pi running buster lite 32 bit os.(current). The installer runs through all the checks and installations until it reaches

# Prepping Your System For Snakeoil.
  + Startup script... OK
  + Web server... OK
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package ubuntu-restricted-extras
chown: invalid user: ‘squeezeboxserver:nogroup’
ERROR
Selecting previously unselected package logitechmediaserver.
(Reading database ... 56433 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../logitechmediaserver_8.2.1_1652959290_arm.deb ...
Unpacking logitechmediaserver (8.2.1~1652959290) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of logitechmediaserver:
 logitechmediaserver depends on libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl; however:
  Package libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package logitechmediaserver (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 logitechmediaserver
 !!!!! ERROR !!!!!
Cannot install LMS

So I did a apt --fix-broken-install and got the following...

john@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt --fix-broken install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libcrypt-openssl-bignum-perl libcrypt-openssl-random-perl
  libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libcrypt-openssl-bignum-perl libcrypt-openssl-random-perl
  libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 27 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 60.0 kB of archives.
After this operation, 216 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian bullseye/main armhf libcrypt-openssl-bignum-perl armhf 0.09-1+b4 [24.3 kB]
Get:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian bullseye/main armhf libcrypt-openssl-random-perl armhf 0.15-2+b1 [11.1 kB]
Get:3 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian bullseye/main armhf libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl armhf 0.31-1+b3 [24.6 kB]
Fetched 60.0 kB in 1s (41.8 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package libcrypt-openssl-bignum-perl.
(Reading database ... 60588 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libcrypt-openssl-bignum-perl_0.09-1+b4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libcrypt-openssl-bignum-perl (0.09-1+b4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libcrypt-openssl-random-perl.
Preparing to unpack .../libcrypt-openssl-random-perl_0.15-2+b1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libcrypt-openssl-random-perl (0.15-2+b1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl.
Preparing to unpack .../libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl_0.31-1+b3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl (0.31-1+b3) ...
Setting up libcrypt-openssl-bignum-perl (0.09-1+b4) ...
Setting up libcrypt-openssl-random-perl (0.15-2+b1) ...
Setting up libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl (0.31-1+b3) ...
Setting up logitechmediaserver (8.2.1~1652959290) ...
Adding system user `squeezeboxserver' (UID 110) ...
Adding new user `squeezeboxserver' (UID 110) with group `nogroup' ...
Not creating home directory `/usr/share/squeezeboxserver'.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/logitechmediaserver.service → /lib/systemd/system/logitechmediaserver.service.
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.4-2) ...
john@raspberrypi:~ $

If I rerun the snakeoil installer it checks all and completes.. and mympd works fine without the 1.27 update

This is a lot if words to say my original problem was a broken install Tongue I you want to remove this thread that is fine
with me..

John

(25-Sep-2022, 02:06 AM)criminalzen Wrote: If I rerun the snakeoil installer it checks all and completes.. and mympd works fine without the 1.27 update

This is a lot if words to say my original problem was a broken install Tongue I you want to remove this thread that is fine
with me..
I'll keep this thread. Thanks for the detailed diagnostics, I will update the installer to include those missing libraries.

1.2.6 version of MPD works fine (via the installer). However from 1.2.7 onwards myMPD is now using dynamic linking (1.2.6 is using static), that's why libid3tag0 is required in 1.2.7. Edit: My bad, 1.2.6 is also using dynamically linked myMPD. 

This is really to overcome a problem with Ubuntu (x86_64) builds. static linking is one of the magic why Snakeoil sounds so good, but that has become a problem as there is this library (glibc) that is causing the software to crash (aka segmentation faults).

Have since learnt to fix this I have to rebuild my automation systems to use an old version of Ubuntu (16.04) and that will work. However i am unsure if that will affect sound quality. Something to ponder later when I have more time I guess.