[split] No network on Live CD?
Hi,

I have downloaded the ISO image for Blind Testing.  Using etcher on my iMac I've created a bootable USB stick with no issues.  I have plugged this into my Intel NUC (7i7BNH) and from the Boot Menu picked Snakeoil GUI.  I then click Try Ubuntu on the Ubuntu installer and it loads OK.  However I am just presented with a basic X Windows desktop and Snakeoil application doesn't seem to be running.  I can't access it from the IP address in another machine's browser.  Also there is a Desktop Applications menu in x Windows which has Install Snakeoil 1.0.0 (forget the actual number) option.  I've clicked this but nothing seems to happen.

I would like to run this of USB before committing to installing it over Roon ROCK which is installed on the M2 PCIe drive inside the NUC.  I also have a 4 TB SSD for music which is formatted as ext4 by Roon ROCK.  Can I mount this so that Snakeoil will have all my music without the need to copy it over again?

Many Thanks,

Ian.

(12-Oct-2018, 03:42 PM)[email protected] Wrote: Hi,

I have downloaded the ISO image for Blind Testing.  Using etcher on my iMac I've created a bootable USB stick with no issues.  I have plugged this into my Intel NUC (7i7BNH) and from the Boot Menu picked Snakeoil GUI.  I then click Try Ubuntu on the Ubuntu installer and it loads OK.  However I am just presented with a basic X Windows desktop and Snakeoil application doesn't seem to be running.  I can't access it from the IP address in another machine's browser.  Also there is a Desktop Applications menu in x Windows which has Install Snakeoil 1.0.0 (forget the actual number) option.  I've clicked this but nothing seems to happen.

I would like to run this of USB before committing to installing it over Roon ROCK which is installed on the M2 PCIe drive inside the NUC.  I also have a 4 TB SSD for music which is formatted as ext4 by Roon ROCK.  Can I mount this so that Snakeoil will have all my music without the need to copy it over again?

Many Thanks,

Ian.
Hi Ian,

Almost certain that NUC is using the i210 Network chip. The stock ISO doesn't support that chip directly, but you can update your USB with a kernel that does. Go to this thread to download the i210 file, and follow the steps outlined in the post to update the USB stick. Then boot your NUC with the modified stick and you should get a working Snakeoil environment.

You can do whatever you want in this LiveCD mode, and when you reset, all the changes you've made will be gone and you're back afresh. Once you're comfortable with how it works, you can install that onto the NUC for better speed and audio performance.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!