upmpdcli mpd and LMS -- set up help!
(11-Nov-2023, 08:01 AM)agent_kith Wrote: I will actually keep UPnP off always.. If you turn on UPnP on the router that has the potential of opening up your firewall automatically (port forwarding) and that potentially could mean people can access your things from the Internet. As an example if you look for the Internet about how hackers gain access to home security cameras, etc. That's done via UPnP.

I checked my ISP router/modem - the port forwarding tab says "No forwarding rule applied" and UPNP enabled. I checked and none of the commonly used ports are open to port forwarding. We dont have any "ports forwarding" open deliberately. 

UPNP is essential to creating an LMS renderer of the Marantz network player, so turning it off would mean the return of the Touch.

Can UPNP be used get past the firewall on the router or is our set up secure?

(14-Nov-2023, 12:58 AM)patricia1066 Wrote:
(11-Nov-2023, 08:01 AM)agent_kith Wrote: I will actually keep UPnP off always.. If you turn on UPnP on the router that has the potential of opening up your firewall automatically (port forwarding) and that potentially could mean people can access your things from the Internet. As an example if you look for the Internet about how hackers gain access to home security cameras, etc. That's done via UPnP.

I checked my ISP router/modem - the port forwarding tab says "No forwarding rule applied" and UPNP enabled. I checked and none of the commonly used ports are open to port forwarding. We dont have any "ports forwarding" open deliberately. 

UPNP is essential to creating an LMS renderer of the Marantz network player, so turning it off would mean the return of the Touch.

Can UPNP be used get past the firewall on the router or is our set up secure?
Found an article that describes how malware can exploit upnp to access the network. Definitely not worth risking.

(15-Nov-2023, 04:01 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: Found an article that describes how malware can exploit upnp to access the network. Definitely not worth risking.
Yeah, upnp basically allows any application to open up your firewall rules from the inside (without your explicit consent).

You can still get everything setup by setting up the firewall rules manually. Technically there shouldn't be any firewall rules needed between LMS and the Marantz though... It should just work?
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(18-Nov-2023, 08:53 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(15-Nov-2023, 04:01 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: Found an article that describes how malware can exploit upnp to access the network. Definitely not worth risking.
Yeah, upnp basically allows any application to open up your firewall rules from the inside (without your explicit consent).

You can still get everything setup by setting up the firewall rules manually. Technically there shouldn't be any firewall rules needed between LMS and the Marantz though... It should just work?
The upnp plug-in that identifies Marantz as a Player relies on UPNP enabled on the router. Only squeezeboxes and appliances with “squeezelite” are managed by LMS on its own protocol. 
If the Marantz had USB output, I would plug the Snakeoil pc into it and then it would recognise the Marantz dac. 

Talking about squeezebox hardware, wiim pro and pro plus have been updated with squeezelite so they are LMS players without the plugin and UPNP being enabled.

Edit - I installed the UPNP/DLNA Media Interface plugin and HEOS can access LMS content. I can access the library from the Marantz streamer, even with upnp disabled on the network. I checked UPNP bridge plugin and although the Marantz is seen as a player, LMS cannot control music playback with UPNP disabled on the modem/router.

HEOS is a buggy app that frequently fails to read tags, so is inferior to LMS in my opinion.