v0.1.4 (Cryo Treatment)
Official release of firmware 0.1.4 (Codename: Cryo Treatment).  Introducing the first 64 bit firmware!

Due to missing libraries, 32 bit firmware will not work on 64 bit Snakeoil machine, and vice versa.

Please make sure you download the right version for your installation. Go to the Home tab to find the correct architecture to download: i686 or x86_64.

Download:
.fw   snakeoil-0.1.4-i686.fw (Size: 18.35 MB / Downloads: 7)
.fw   snakeoil-0.1.4-x86_64.fw (Size: 18.74 MB / Downloads: 16)

Changes since 0.1.3 (Cable Lifter)   
  • More progress feedback while performing firmware upgrade
  • Check for problems when performing firmware upgrade, and print out errors
  • Added sanity checks to not allow installation of firmware with different architecture
  • Silence a error when mounting drives
  • Support RoonBridge for 64bit systems (manual RoonBridge install required)
  • Fixed Squeezelite extras bug [Found by a.dent]
  • Fixed bug where kernel boot option is not read properly [Found by JD1]
  • After kernel upgrade, text now correctly says reboot is in the system tab [Found by JD1]
  • Filename has a new string, i686 for 32 bit firmware, and x86_64 for 64bit
  • Firmware and Kernel upgrade are now well tested and made available to the normal users now (available in System tab)
  • You can install deb files now from the Snakeoil tab
    [Image: tab_snakeoil_deb.png]
  • Repo code.google.com no longer available. As such, added new Squeezelite from Ralph Irving
  • Support HQPlayer's NAA and Plex's PlexMediaServer, requires manual installation
  • System tab now moved to the 2nd last
  • Multiple web back end stability fixes
  • Split Home Tab into two: Home and System
  • Theme switching support (in System tab). Select from - Default, Blue on White and Grey on White
  • Fixed a bug where squeezelite can't lock memory (prevents swapping) and set priority of output thread
  • Fixed a bug where you can't clear software player options
  • Added option to clear the system cache. Available in the Home tab, click the Clear Cache button to reinitialise the cache. May be useful if you leave the machine running for a long time (e.g. > 3 hours), or after a database rescan
    [Image: tab_system_system.png]
  • When you click the Shutdown Machine button above, the browser will re-direct to the snakeoil website after 5 seconds
  • Changed the button colour (to the snake oil drop colour)
  • Changed all references of register to activate
  • Make some cosmetic changes to the user interface
  • For people who has activated their snakeoil machine, you now have the ability to adjust kernel boot up options
    [Image: tab_snakeoil_kernel_tweaks.png]
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • Conch Blowa, Leonard

Thanks for providing this new firmware!
However in my case I was unable to install the x86_64 version.

For some reason my CPU gets identified as i686 in the 'Home' tab. By checking this manually (uname -m) I also get the same result. the processormodel itself was correctly identified as 'i5 4460T' using 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'.
This is strange as the Intel i5-4460T processor is of course 64 bit. And if I check the processor on the same machine (and same BIOS settings), but now using Xubuntu as OS, I get x86_64.

Can it be that this is caused by the fact that Snakeoil is 32bit and thus the processor is already running in 32 bit mode?
Unfortunatly I couldn't revert back to an earlier version of the firmware as I got an error message.

I'm looking forward to updating to the 64 bit OS but will watch Leonard's progress first.

OK so I was too impatient. 64 bit seems to have loaded OK but does this look correct?

[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_05_29_at_7_48_56_AM.png]

There are no players available on the software page to choose from.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_05_29_at_7_49_33_AM.png]

Is this my fault?

Oh and obviously the top menu has reverted to the original one so no Snakeoil tab

(29-May-2016, 06:37 AM)Leonard Wrote: Thanks for providing this new firmware!
However in my case I was unable to install the x86_64 version.
My bad, I should have been more clear in the first post. You cannot install the 64 bit firmware on to the 32 bit Snakeoil because there are mising libraries for it to do so.

0.1.4 will check this but older versions can't. The 0.1.4 ISO will be available in a few minutes. Download the 64 bit ISO, and change the USB media to persistent boot up and all will be fine.

(29-May-2016, 07:31 AM)a.dent Wrote: I'm looking forward to updating to the 64 bit OS but will watch Leonard's progress first.

OK so I was too impatient. 64 bit seems to have loaded OK but does this look correct?

There are no players available on the software page to choose from.

Is this my fault?

Oh and obviously the top menu has reverted to the original one so no Snakeoil tab
It's my bad really. I should have made that more clear, and put it in red - You can't mix different architectures, 32 bit snakoil needs 32 bit firmware and same thing for 64 bit.

To use RoonBridge, you'd need to download and install the 64 bit Snakeoil ISO, which will be available in a few minutes.

Edit: BTW, there is no need to install this 0.1.4 firmware after you have installed Snakeoil 0.1.4 ISO, as the firmware are the same. I'm including the 64 bit link here for people to roll back from a future pre-release version.

I read that bit before the change to red and I didn't really "click" about what it meant.

I tried going back to back to 32 bit firmware but it looks the same. I think I've mucked up  [Image: angry.png] [Image: angry.png]

(29-May-2016, 08:51 AM)a.dent Wrote: I read that bit before the change to red and I didn't really "click" about what it meant.

I tried going back to back to 32 bit firmware but it looks the same. I think I've mucked up  [Image: angry.png] [Image: angry.png]

Not a problem. I'd send you a email on how to recover it.. 

Having said that, if you want to use RoonBridge, you'd still need to install 64 bit version though (probably do it on another CFast card).

(29-May-2016, 08:57 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(29-May-2016, 08:51 AM)a.dent Wrote: I read that bit before the change to red and I didn't really "click" about what it meant.

Not a problem. I'd send you a email on how to recover it.. 

Having said that, if you want to use RoonBridge, you'd still need to install 64 bit version though (probably do it on another CFast card).

I was thinking of installing the 64 bit version on a spare 120Gb SSD I have here. I'd still like to go back to the 32 bit version on this SSD though, just in case.

I'm not sure if my motherboard is even 64 bit ATM. It may be but how can I tell? I tried to update from the Jetway website but couldn't even boot into DOS so computer illiteratacy problems.

(29-May-2016, 09:08 AM)a.dent Wrote: I'm not sure if my motherboard is even 64 bit ATM. It may be but how can I tell? I tried to update from the Jetway website but couldn't even boot into DOS so computer illiteratacy problems.YY
Your motherboard already have the latest firmwre (See the first pic you linked, where is says:
Code:
op-code(s): 32 bit, 64 bit

That means your CPU is already 64 bit enabled.

I have sent an email to both you and Leonard on how to restore the 32 bit files back, and it should work again, let me know if there are any other issues.