Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: installing on flash drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
happy new year Agent_kith

I am about to install Snakeoil on a USB Flash drive so it is easier to run on different computers laptops around the house.  I saw on another forum that you said this is possible and works.  

My question is where do I install grub so it is only for the USB flash drive and not messing up my normal grub on the computer

Thanks in advance for your help
(03-Jan-2017, 11:00 AM)Aussieg Wrote: [ -> ]happy new year Agent_kith

I am about to install Snakeoil on a USB Flash drive so it is easier to run on different computers laptops around the house.  I saw on another forum that you said this is possible and works.  

My question is where do I install grub so it is only for the USB flash drive and not messing up my normal grub on the computer

Thanks in advance for your help

Grub should always be installed on your first boot device.

You should just be able to install it onto USB flash like it is a local HDD/SDD (Your second USB media should be /dev/sda because your installation USB stick is a cdrom).

Thing is I'm not sure installing it in a USB stick is a good solution because it seems to affect the SQ negatively. However having said that, it could be the USB stick we've tried, perhaps aother USB stick model may not impact SQ at all.
(03-Jan-2017, 12:18 PM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-Jan-2017, 11:00 AM)Aussieg Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reply.  Sorry to disturb your rare Christmas holiday. What is your opinion on installing on a portable USB hard drive?
(04-Jan-2017, 08:10 AM)Aussieg Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reply.  Sorry to disturb your rare Christmas holiday. What is your opinion on installing on a portable USB hard drive?
We didn't try on a USB hard drive though, only on a USB flash drive. It's been a while, so can't remember the details, all I can remember now is the SQ seems better on the SSD.

Can't remember if music is stored on the USB stick or on another SSD also.

Just a comment/opinion and not fact. Please try and report back... Thumbs Up

Myself I'm running Snakeoil on a CFast card.