Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Unable to install to SD-CARD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(01-Oct-2017, 06:21 PM)NoDisc Wrote: [ -> ]That installed. Unfortunately the MacMini does not see the SD card after reboot. So there is no way to test it.  Sad
Hmm.. When you see the boot menu, hit the 'E' button, and then take a picture.
(01-Oct-2017, 06:21 PM)NoDisc Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I can think about installing on the SSD.   Is there reason to believe the Sound Quality is better with the new release, and if so, what has changed to provide that? 
Here's a intro describing the new changes. The Snakeoil OS WebApp is now re-written in C++ and multi-threaded. When using the WebApp, the browser is now doing a lot more heavy lifting compared to before. 

All the music players have been recompiled with tools from Ubuntu 16.04 . The ALSA library Snakeoil is using is also a newer version. Overall I do think the SQ is better compared to the 0.1.x, some have privately reported the same as well. But I'm sure you know "better" is a subjective thing. The only way is to install it and assess the SQ yourself.
(01-Oct-2017, 06:21 PM)NoDisc Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-Oct-2017, 04:47 PM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-Oct-2017, 04:03 PM)NoDisc Wrote: [ -> ]Well no Kernel panic, but another problem. 

My bad. Forgot there's CGroup in Snakeoil 1.0.x now. Try this new revision and see how far it'd go: Link 

That installed. Unfortunately the MacMini does not see the SD card after reboot. So there is no way to test it.  Sad

(01-Oct-2017, 06:21 PM)NoDisc Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-Oct-2017, 04:47 PM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-Oct-2017, 04:03 PM)NoDisc Wrote: [ -> ]Well no Kernel panic, but another problem. 

My bad. Forgot there's CGroup in Snakeoil 1.0.x now. Try this new revision and see how far it'd go: Link 

That installed. Unfortunately the MacMini does not see the SD card after reboot. So there is no way to test it.  Sad  

I guess I can think about installing on the SSD.   Is there reason to believe the Sound Quality is better with the new release, and if so, what has changed to provide that? 

I have one more idea, I may be able to install a boot manager into the EFI System Partition, which may give me some more control over booting.  Not sure it will work, but I'll give it a try.  http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html#osx
According to these instructions, it is possible to boot Ubuntu from and SD card on a Mac.  This process requires pre-partitioning the SD-CARD and copying over an EFI folder to the first Mac Partition (GUID)

Instructions are included here. 

http://michaelevans.org/blog/2013/01/15/...cbook-air/

I imagine I can do the same, and then use an advanced setup install for snakeoil ?     They say I don't need a swap partition.  Any suggestions?
(02-Oct-2017, 12:57 AM)NoDisc Wrote: [ -> ]According to these instructions, it is possible to boot Ubuntu from and SD card on a Mac.  This process requires pre-partitioning the SD-CARD and copying over an EFI folder to the first Mac Partition (GUID)

I imagine I can do the same, and then use an advanced setup install for snakeoil ?     They say I don't need a swap partition.  Any suggestions?
I'd still need you to hit 'e' when you reboot the computer, so I can have a look at how linux is loaded. whether it says

root=/dev/sda1 or root=##GUID##

If it's the first, then perhaps that's why there is a problem. Wouldn't know for sure until I see the pic.
(02-Oct-2017, 09:20 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-Oct-2017, 12:57 AM)NoDisc Wrote: [ -> ]According to these instructions, it is possible to boot Ubuntu from and SD card on a Mac.  This process requires pre-partitioning the SD-CARD and copying over an EFI folder to the first Mac Partition (GUID)

I'd still need you to hit 'e' when you reboot the computer, so I can have a look at how linux is loaded. whether it says

root=/dev/sda1 or root=##GUID##

If it's the first, then perhaps that's why there is a problem. Wouldn't know for sure until I see the pic. 

There is no boot of Linux, as the Mini does not see the SD-Card to be able to boot from it.
(02-Oct-2017, 10:06 AM)NoDisc Wrote: [ -> ]There is no boot of Linux, as the Mini does not see the SD-Card to be able to boot from it.
Ah, I get 'ya.

Can you change the BIOS and make the SDHC the first boot device?
(02-Oct-2017, 10:19 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-Oct-2017, 10:06 AM)NoDisc Wrote: [ -> ]There is no boot of Linux, as the Mini does not see the SD-Card to be able to boot from it.
Ah, I get 'ya.

Can you change the BIOS and make the SDHC the first boot device? 

If it were a blessed apple system partition, yes but as it is now, no.  I think I'm on the right track, I just need more time to experiment.   I'll get back to you at a later date.  Thanks for your help.  I'll update this thread once I have more information to add.
Pages: 1 2