Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Cannot access share drive on Snakeoil Machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
People who have upgraded to Windows 10 'Falls Creators Update' may find they can no longer access the network share on the Snakeoil OS machinie (Samba Server). This is a new security feature added in Falls update - guest shares are disabled by default. You'd usually see an error like this:

[Image: share_error.png]

You'd need to enable 'Guest Access' to get Windows Sharing work again. To do so follow these steps:
  1. Press the Windows button, and type in 'Edit Group Policy'. Run this application. You'd see this:
    [attachment=196]
  2. Now goto 'Computer Configuration' → 'Administrative Templates' → 'Network' → 'Lanman Workstation'.
  3. Double click the entry 'Enable insecure guest logins':
    [attachment=197]
  4. Change the setting to 'Enabled', and click the 'OK' button.
    [attachment=198]
  5. The state is now changed to 'Enabled'
  6. You can access the network file shares like before.
Reference: Link
I've tried the guide above and still unable to connect to the share drive error code 0x80004005. I've also tried a smb client on my phone and I'm getting an authentication request and I tried list the smb user get some weird error

PS: I've changed the name of the host using the web page is there a known bug with that?
[Image: thumbnail.jpg]

upload image on web
Interesting, you could be right about a bug. I'd have to check it later this weekend.

To test - can you try using a IP address of your computer instead of hostname, does that work?
(30-Jan-2018, 09:44 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting, you could be right about a bug. I'd have to check it later this weekend.

To test - can you try using a IP address of your computer instead of hostname, does that work?

Yes tried both name and ip. I will try to start over with new reinstall and see if that fixes it

looks like it's a windows thing (or wrong server config) but I managed to connect to the smb using linux
Tried with a different server and now it seems to be fine even without enabling anonymous login. I notice with older OS (Server 2008 r2) it just connect no username password needed. Using another machine with windows 10 Pro I can connect but only after entering the main username and password