Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Snakeoil is soothing my audiophilia nervosa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been researching and installing music server software for about a week.  Before that I figured USB was "bit perfect" so it couldn't be improved upon.  foobar2000 running on a busy general purpose computer sounds good, but a minimal computer dedicated to just audio manages to sound noticeably better.

I tried Daphile first, and it sounded better to me than foobar2000, but there were murmurings that Volumio sounded even better.  I tried Volumio on a laptop, but didn't like the interface or the sound.  Volumio's sound may have had more detail and more bass and treble extension, but the overall presentation sounded electronic rather than natural, and made me feel jumpy.

Some computeraudiophile members suggested that Snakeoil's sound quality was even better.  I'm happy to report that I like both Snakeoil's interface and its sound better than Daphile, so I'm done trying new software for the moment, and enjoying listening.  That's how I can tell when the sound is satisfying - I stop fidgeting and quit skipping from one track to the next.  (Note: I couldn't relax with an MPD back end, only LMS manages that trick for me.)

Thank you to agent_kith for working so hard to get Snakeoil-OS working and sounding so right!