Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Native DSD: linux-4.4.9-rt17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I do not know whether this helps but previously, I had a DAC with a Amanero board driven by a SMS-200 Ultra (Linux based).  It definitely could do DSD, up to DSD256 natively.  BUT, the key was finding the right firmware for Linux, some versions had clicks, noise.  And firmware for Windows was different as well.  Unfortunately, some experimentation, trial and error required (which the DAC designer did most of the work, and I did testing).
I've tried the 6 combinations from 32_BE, 32_LS, Altset 1, 2, 3 but still got no luck on my Rockna DAC yet.   I hope it works on other Amanero usb input card.  Shy

(14-Apr-2019, 08:15 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: [ -> ]I do not know whether this helps but previously, I had a DAC with a Amanero board driven by a SMS-200 Ultra (Linux based).  It definitely could do DSD, up to DSD256 natively.  BUT, the key was finding the right firmware for Linux, some versions had clicks, noise.  And firmware for Windows was different as well.  Unfortunately, some experimentation, trial and error required (which the DAC designer did most of the work, and I did testing).

Thank you very much for your sharing, you've given me a light of hope. Shy
(14-Apr-2019, 10:13 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried the 6 combinations from 32_BE, 32_LS, Altset 1, 2, 3 but still got no luck on my Rockna DAC yet.   I hope it works on other Amanero usb input card.  Shy
This is the first release, so expect bugs. When you playback DSD, can you double check the WebApp to make sure the format is showing the DSD format you specify?

(14-Apr-2019, 10:13 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you very much for your sharing, you've given me a light of hope. Shy 
That DAC is with a "legit" Combo384 sourced from Dom though.. And although it has issues, it's largely working. You should be able to modify your DAC by replacing your USB receiver with that, the output should be I2S.

An XMOS receiver might work also, this is a PITA in Windows, but in the Linux world everything seems to run well (so far).
(15-Apr-2019, 07:59 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-Apr-2019, 10:13 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried the 6 combinations from 32_BE, 32_LS, Altset 1, 2, 3 but still got no luck on my Rockna DAC yet.   I hope it works on other Amanero usb input card.  Shy
This is the first release, so expect bugs. When you playback DSD, can you double check the WebApp to make sure the format is showing the DSD format you specify?
(14-Apr-2019, 10:13 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you very much for your sharing, you've given me a light of hope. Shy 
That DAC is with a "legit" Combo384 sourced from Dom though.. And although it has issues, it's largely working. You should be able to modify your DAC by replacing your USB receiver with that, the output should be I2S.

An XMOS receiver might work also, this is a PITA in Windows, but in the Linux world everything seems to run well (so far).  

Ic.  Would you pls tell me, let say, when I plays a DSD64 file, in the WebApp, what is the CORRECT format wording should I look for?  And is the same in Native mode and DoP mode?

Besides, even I really look forward to playing DSD file in Native DSD mode, I'm sorry that I don't want to mod. my Rockna dac.   Of course, I really appreciate your effort in helping me on Native DSD playback and I'll be happy to keep trying your new implementation.  Shy
(15-Apr-2019, 09:11 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]Ic.  Would you pls tell me, let say, when I plays a DSD64 file, in the WebApp, what is the CORRECT format wording should I look for?  And is the same in Native mode and DoP mode?
If everything loads up correctly, you will see the following when you hit the Logs button in the system menu:
[Image: L7RtA6d.png]
The above is me setting my DAC to DSD 32 bits for altset 3.

And now, when I set the playback mode to "Native (PCM/DSD)", it will show up as such:

[Image: QAgniDY.png]

And when i use DoP, the Sample rate will show up as PCM. Only 16 bits are used in this 24 bit data format, the first 8 bits will be all 0s:
[Image: MHqPp92.png]

For both cases, the DSD indicator on your DSD must be lit. If not, in the second instance (DoP), it means MPD has converted DSD into PCM and sent it over to your DAC.

(15-Apr-2019, 09:11 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]Besides, even I really look forward to playing DSD file in Native DSD mode, I'm sorry that I don't want to mod. my Rockna dac.   Of course, I really appreciate your effort in helping me on Native DSD playback and I'll be happy to keep trying your new implementation.  Shy 
You shouldn't have to mod as you are a paying customer. Continue and pressure Rockna to get this working. All they need to do is is to give you a working firmware that will work on your Combo384 receiver Thumbs Up.
(15-Apr-2019, 10:14 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-Apr-2019, 09:11 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]Ic.  Would you pls tell me, let say, when I plays a DSD64 file, in the WebApp, what is the CORRECT format wording should I look for?  And is the same in Native mode and DoP mode?
If everything loads up correctly, you will see the following when you hit the Logs button in the system menu:
[Image: L7RtA6d.png]
The above is me setting my DAC to DSD 32 bits for altset 3.

And now, when I set the playback mode to "Native (PCM/DSD)", it will show up as such:

[Image: QAgniDY.png]

And when i use DoP, the Sample rate will show up as PCM. Only 16 bits are used in this 24 bit data format, the first 8 bits will be all 0s:
[Image: MHqPp92.png]

For both cases, the DSD indicator on your DSD must be lit. If not, in the second instance (DoP), it means MPD has converted DSD into PCM and sent it over to your DAC.

(15-Apr-2019, 09:11 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]Besides, even I really look forward to playing DSD file in Native DSD mode, I'm sorry that I don't want to mod. my Rockna dac.   Of course, I really appreciate your effort in helping me on Native DSD playback and I'll be happy to keep trying your new implementation.  Shy 
You shouldn't have to mod as you are a paying customer. Continue and pressure Rockna to get this working. All they need to do is is to give you a working firmware that will work on your Combo384 receiver Thumbs Up

Thank you very much for your very detailed and well-illustrated explanation.  Let me try tonight and get back to you.   Shy
Updated the DSD kernel for Snakeoil Blind Testing U5 and beyond. Look into the archives for older kernels if you're looking for a kernel that works with the older version of Snakeoil.
(14-May-2019, 03:50 PM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]Updated the DSD kernel for Snakeoil Blind Testing U5 and beyond. Look into the archives for older kernels if you're looking for a kernel that works with the older version of Snakeoil.

Hi, im the owner of DSD DAC TEAC UD-501, this device works in Native DSD (no DOP) in other Linux AP. distros.  In Snakeoil with latest DSD kernel posted here, native DSD doesnt work, only DOP, this is same for LMS / all versions of SquezzeLite, same for MPD (all versions), probably needs set some alt. set params., any advice ? . Other AP. distros where it works in native mode are Daphile, AP Linux, Volumio. 

DAC shows on display in "native" mode PCM 384Khz - BAD, in working DOP mode shows correct DSD DOP mode with DSD type eg 2,8 or 5,6 Mhz.

Thank you for support
(29-May-2019, 11:21 PM)ravenman Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-May-2019, 03:50 PM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]Updated the DSD kernel for Snakeoil Blind Testing U5 and beyond. Look into the archives for older kernels if you're looking for a kernel that works with the older version of Snakeoil.

Hi, im the owner of DSD DAC TEAC UD-501, this device works in Native DSD (no DOP) in other Linux AP. distros.  In Snakeoil with latest DSD kernel posted here, native DSD doesnt work, only DOP, this is same for LMS / all versions of SquezzeLite, same for MPD (all versions), probably needs set some alt. set params., any advice ? . Other AP. distros where it works in native mode are Daphile, AP Linux, Volumio. 

DAC shows on display in "native" mode PCM 384Khz - BAD, in working DOP mode shows correct DSD DOP mode with DSD type eg 2,8 or 5,6 Mhz.

Thank you for support 

Hiya. Some questions:
  1. Are you using activated or free editions?
  2. If activated, what setting did you use in DSD format under the Snakeoil section?
  3. Can you confirm if the USB ID of the Teac is 0x0644, 0x8043?
I had this DAC a while back, and can confirm native DSD is working then. Perhaps I've made a mistake in the code over the years. Let me know the answers to the above and I'll doublecheck.
Thank you for quick reply,  some experiments proved working DSD in native mode, the tricks was dsd kernel + MPD 0.21.8 (latest) and native menu option. Now everything seems work fine. Only my beloved easy sounding LMS + SquezeeLite not wok with native mode, only DOP, probably later version fix this ?. I have free edition of SnakeOil, but planned donation ,because it sound damn good or best among everything else. Good work. Legacy players aka XMMS shows cannot start server, probably unsupported dac ? (I know is absolete, but is there option that not work in my conf)
Pages: 1 2 3