Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Question - Install to USB stick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

My apologies if this is the wrong section for this.

My system is limited to a single HD and ideally would like to have media and OS on separate drives. Given this, a USB drive is my only option.

Has anybody tried running snakeoil off a decent USB stick ? I have googled and found posts describing the process with Ubuntu so it seems possible. I have 4G RAM which should limit writes to disk.

Comments ?
(20-Mar-2019, 06:04 PM)davem Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

My apologies if this is the wrong section for this.

My system is limited to a single HD and ideally would like to have media and OS on separate drives. Given this, a USB drive is my only option.

Has anybody tried running snakeoil off a decent USB stick ? I have googled and found posts describing the process with Ubuntu so it seems possible. I have 4G RAM which should limit writes to disk.

Comments ?
Two options:
  1. Create a persistent volume. There are limitations to this though, so read the linked article to know it's limits
  2. Install Snakeoil direct on another USB stick. (You have to modify your EFI/BIOS to boot from USB storage first, then the other disks).
Both solutions will work, but at the time we did this, I personally think the sound quality is somewhat compromised. You will probably need to do some R&D and find a good USB stick, and path to make sure the sound is good.

Another way is to use partitioning during the Snakeoil install. Create 1 small partition for OS, and a bigger partition for music. This way when you re-install OS, you're only changing the small partition, leaving the big partition alone. See here for a walkthrough.
Thanks Agent-Kith.

Great info. I will investigate some more and have a play when I get some time.