Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: PC Won't boot from USB so no Install at all
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I used RUFUS to make an USB stick (16GB).
Because it's 16GB, I have no option for other that FAT32.

The PC is Gigabyte J3455N-D3H

When I try to boot:
  • If booting from UEFI USB, I get: "Unknown file system" and then a prompt for GRUB rescue
  • If booting from USB 3.0 PMAP I just get an underscore prompt.
Any help?
(01-Apr-2019, 12:59 AM)NinthWave Wrote: [ -> ]I used RUFUS to make an USB stick (16GB).
Because it's 16GB, I have no option for other that FAT32.

The PC is Gigabyte J3455N-D3H

When I try to boot:
  • If booting from UEFI USB, I get: "Unknown file system" and then a prompt for GRUB rescue
  • If booting from USB 3.0 PMAP I just get an underscore prompt.
Any help?

As I had an USB stick without LED, I thought it was not booting.  Then I got another USB stick with an LED and I understood what happened.  The BIOS dropped HDMI support as soon as the ISO started booting.

In order to continue installation process, one must disable CSM Video UEFI and stick to VIDEO=LEGACY
(01-Apr-2019, 06:38 AM)NinthWave Wrote: [ -> ]As I had an USB stick without LED, I thought it was not booting.  Then I got another USB stick with an LED and I understood what happened.  The BIOS dropped HDMI support as soon as the ISO started booting.

In order to continue installation process, one must disable CSM Video UEFI and stick to VIDEO=LEGACY 
Nice work!

Snakeoil is designed to be headless, when you boot up with the USB, the intention was to use VNC from another computer to connect to this PC, and then install it from there. As such I didn't even know in UEFI mode video is disabled..

Are you booting up the USB in legacy mode also, or is it EFI?

Getting this ISO to work in EFI is still in my to do list. This is supposed to work in EFI, and is compatible if one turns on legacy support. It works in my PCs, but they are relatively old. I keep hearing reports that things don't work on others, so I always wonder if it's a config problem, or really a problem. Still havn't got new hardware to test this out proper.