Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: SQ improvement through a millions + tap filter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear Agent Kith, 
there has been some discussion and development of a high number tap filter for SQ improvement which has been compared with the CHord M Scalar unit. 
It can be found here https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/2...g/page/69/ 
The developer is not familiar with Snakeoil but is interested to see if there may be some way to facilitate its use within Snakeoil. Essentially he has modified SoX to increase the number of taps to a very high number (23 million?) and the results seem to show that SQ is indeed improved. 
Unfortunately I am unable to fully understand what and how things are being done but happy to facilitate an initial communication to see if this may have some future and to see if it would interest you.
(11-Apr-2019, 09:05 AM)frednork Wrote: [ -> ]Dear Agent Kith, 
there has been some discussion and development of a high number tap filter for SQ improvement which has been compared with the CHord M Scalar unit. 
It can be found here https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/2...g/page/69/ 
The developer is not familiar with Snakeoil but is interested to see if there may be some way to facilitate its use within Snakeoil. Essentially he has modified SoX to increase the number of taps to a very high number (23 million?) and the results seem to show that SQ is indeed improved. 
Unfortunately I am unable to fully understand what and how things are being done but happy to facilitate an initial communication to see if this may have some future and to see if it would interest you.

"You've exceeded the maximum number of page views you can open as a guest. "..

LOL

I really hate that about SNA, what's the point of adding that limitation?

If memory serves he's upscaling the file to some very high resolution into new files and then play them back? That's more post processing (unlike your FIR request which is more pre-processing).

If that's the case, just feed the processed files directly to MPD (or Squeezelite) and it'll play just fine.

If it's pre-processing, then he'd need to put his code under GPL (or MIT), push his patches to a repository somewhere. And I can pull his patch down, apply it to Snakeoil's custom libsox library, and every player should take on those changes. This will be more like HQPlayer, and will require more CPU (maybe GPU?) power?

Either way, I'd look into the thread and get back to you.