Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Which version of MPD is better?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have spent the past 2 days testing MPD - 0.21.7 vs 0.21.4. Yet to try other MPD versions.

As a long time LMS/Squeezelite user, the first difference with MPD is the latter's bigger and wider sound stage. Of the two MPD I have tested, my preference is 0.21.4. I just find myself more engaged to music with 0.21.4. The vocals has a more "dreamy" feel to it, and the soundstage is wider and higher.

Anybody else done similar comparisons? What are your thoughts? Your feedback will directly improve future Snakeoil firmwares, so please share them if you can.
(22-Apr-2019, 08:05 PM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]I have spent the past 2 days testing MPD - 0.21.7 vs 0.21.4. Yet to try other MPD versions.

As a long time LMS/Squeezelite user, the first difference with MPD is the latter's bigger and wider sound stage. Of the two MPD I have tested, my preference is 0.21.4. I just find myself more engaged to music with 0.21.4. The vocals has a more "dreamy" feel to it, and the soundstage is wider and higher.

Anybody else done similar comparisons? What are your thoughts? Your feedback will directly improve future Snakeoil firmwares, so please share them if you can.

From my system, to my ears, 0.21.7 is relative calm, dull, organised style in comparing to 0.21.4.  
0.21.4 is a bit too enthusiastic, a bit chaotic but the better dynamic makes the sound more sensational then 0.21.4.
Just my 2 cents.  Tongue
(11-May-2019, 07:21 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]From my system, to my ears, 0.21.7 is relative calm, dull, organised style in comparing to 0.21.4.  
0.21.4 is a bit too enthusiastic, a bit chaotic but the better dynamic makes the sound more sensational then 0.21.4.
Just my 2 cents.  Tongue 
Subjectively I find 0.21.4 has more "speed". If you play Poetry of the Drums, dial up to a certain loud volume (say -10 dBFS) .. 0.21.4 just flows better than 0.21.7 (The harmonics is natural).

Unfotunately I just cannot nail down what causes these differences.

Blind Testing U5 will be replacing 0.21.7 with 0.21.8. Let's see what happens then.