Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Music server with Snakeoil-os, Minimserver and Linn DS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I am using Snakeoil OS since one week with great result and pleasure!

I just finish to build a Music Server around Snakeoil, here a description of the parts I used to make it :

- Supermicro X10SBA-L Motherboard
- Innodisk RAM 2x2
- Intel 256go SSD
- PicoPsu 80w and SBooster MKII 12v Linear power supply
- Streacom Case

All USB ports are power off. 

I use this setup to feed my Linn DS via RJ45 using only Minimserver (music is on my NAS). Very analog type of sound and I can hear new details in records that I have for 20 years.

My only problem is about using both port lan of the Motherboard, but I will start a new topic about that to see if anybody have a clue about this.

Thank Agent Kith for your OS, a very simple/light and optimized Linux for the music.

Greetings from Canada,

Bob
@bobzy  Curious, why are you using an additional NAS for storage, rather than just storing your music tracks on a drive in the X10SBA?
@bobzy also....  another question:  how did you get Snakeoil OS to see the LAN ports (Intel i210AT) on the Supermicro X10SBA-L?   I'm not able to....

[Image: IMG-2741-crr.jpg]
(14-Jul-2019, 06:37 AM)jaynyc Wrote: [ -> ]@bobzy also....  another question:  how did you get Snakeoil OS to see the LAN ports (Intel i210AT) on the Supermicro X10SBA-L?   I'm not able to....
Snakeoil OS's secret is it's stripped down kernel. This kernel is pretty much bare metal and only supports the hardware listed in the documentation.

Anything outside those will require a special kernel. Go here and download the I210 install kernel. Replace that kernel on your boot USB and it will work fine. You can also copy and rename the kernel directly into your installed \boot folder and everything should work also.
(14-Jul-2019, 12:11 PM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-Jul-2019, 06:37 AM)jaynyc Wrote: [ -> ]@bobzy also....  another question:  how did you get Snakeoil OS to see the LAN ports (Intel i210AT) on the Supermicro X10SBA-L?   I'm not able to....
Snakeoil OS's secret is it's stripped down kernel. This kernel is pretty much bare metal and only supports the hardware listed in the documentation.

Anything outside those will require a special kernel. Go here and download the I210 install kernel. Replace that kernel on your boot USB and it will work fine. You can also copy and rename the kernel directly into your installed \boot folder and everything should work also.

@agent_kith so I downloaded and unpacked "install-4.4.9-rt17-i686-igb-20190223.zip "
and tried both ways ie: straight replacing vmlinuz on the USB install disk then booting (and planning to reinstall) from that, but got the same error

[Image: image3.jpg]

Apology in advance here, I may be that nightmare target market for Snakeoil support-- someone who knows just enough command line to be dangerous yet is pretty much worthless otherwise
(and I also realize this is the wrong sub forum for this support issue)

thanks
well, on a lark I tried downloading " install-4.4.9-rt17-amd64-igb-20190223.zip " instead.  and yup, that worked, I now have a LAN connection and an IP address. 

I guess seeing "amd" in the filename since I have a Celeron based system, it threw me off...
(16-Jul-2019, 05:43 AM)jaynyc Wrote: [ -> ]well, on a lark I tried downloading " install-4.4.9-rt17-amd64-igb-20190223.zip " instead.  and yup, that worked, I now have a LAN connection and an IP address. 

I guess seeing "amd" in the filename since I have a Celeron based system, it threw me off...
I really should make this clearer somewhere Big Grin. There's a bit of quirkiness and history into why the 64 bit instruction set is called AMD64 in the Linux world. That name has stuck, and indeed it is confusing.

At that time, AMD created a storm with the 64 bit instruction set. Decades later, it's now also breaking new ground with it's Gen 3 (7 nm) Ryzen processsors. Heart Heart