Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Still Installaltion stage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Manage to install Snakeoil in my PC. Bootup with login displaced ok, Top left hand corner did NOT displace IP address why?
(03-Jun-2019, 07:05 PM)ttan98 Wrote: [ -> ]Manage to install Snakeoil in my PC. Bootup with login displaced ok, Top left hand corner did NOT displace IP address why?

If you are using an Intel PC, please have a look at this
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Threa...33#pid2533

You will need a different Kernel to enable the Intel network interface.
(03-Jun-2019, 07:44 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-Jun-2019, 07:05 PM)ttan98 Wrote: [ -> ]Manage to install Snakeoil in my PC. Bootup with login displaced ok, Top left hand corner did NOT displace IP address why?

If you are using an Intel PC, please have a look at this
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Threa...33#pid2533

You will need a different Kernel to enable the Intel network interface. 

doesn't work.
What network card are you using?

How about a screen capture?  Shy
(04-Jun-2019, 08:48 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]What network card are you using?

My PC is based on Intel i3 CPU with built-in wireless and can do ethernet but with a mounted external adapter. Went into the  Bios cannot find out any info on either network or wireless cards info, both worked when PC was running on Windows10. 
My question is if I mount a USB wireless adapter when I perform a NEW install can the Snakeoil detect this wireless adapter?

(04-Jun-2019, 09:03 AM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]

How about a screen capture?  Shy 

simple on the screen, login sign appears but the top left-hand corner IP address: Blank
(04-Jun-2019, 09:44 AM)ttan98 Wrote: [ -> ]My PC is based on Intel i3 CPU with built-in wireless and can do ethernet but with a mounted external adapter. Went into the  Bios cannot find out any info on either network or wireless cards info, both worked when PC was running on Windows10. 
My question is if I mount a USB wireless adapter when I perform a NEW install can the Snakeoil detect this wireless adapter?
Let me know what wireless adaptor you have and I'll see if I can build a install kernel for you. You can find the model/make of your wireless adaptor by booting another Ubuntu LiveCD, or from Windows device manager.

A long time ago.... We chose simple, slow motherboards and not the fastest at the time, because the simpler motherboards just sound better.

At the time when a group of us were also looking into the kernels for Snakeoil, we found using wireless adaptors and USB adaptors appear to have a deterimental effect on the SQ. This is why most of the Snakeoil kernels don't support USB or wireless. Excluding them out and only use a wired connection just sounds better.

We also dabblled in ARM boards and still prefer the PC sound.

But that was a long time ago. 3 years is a long time in the AV world. Times have changed, folks are into DSP now.

The current kernel limitation is sort of by design, but it is also going against the "Designed By Us, Defined By You" mantra. It will be a while, but Snakeoil will slowly become more and more flexible down the road. Smile
(04-Jun-2019, 10:35 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-Jun-2019, 09:44 AM)ttan98 Wrote: [ -> ]My PC is based on Intel i3 CPU with built-in wireless and can do ethernet but with a mounted external adapter. Went into the  Bios cannot find out any info on either network or wireless cards info, both worked when PC was running on Windows10. 
Let me know what wireless adaptor you have and I'll see if I can build a install kernel for you. You can find the model/make of your wireless adaptor by booting another Ubuntu LiveCD, or from Windows device manager.

A long time ago.... We chose simple, slow motherboards and not the fastest at the time, because the simpler motherboards just sound better.

At the time when a group of us were also looking into the kernels for Snakeoil, we found using wireless adaptors and USB adaptors appear to have a deterimental effect on the SQ. This is why most of the Snakeoil kernels don't support USB or wireless. Excluding them out and only use a wired connection just sounds better.

We also dabblled in ARM boards and still prefer the PC sound.

But that was a long time ago. 3 years is a long time in the AV world. Times have changed, folks are into DSP now.

The current kernel limitation is sort of by design, but it is also going against the "Designed By Us, Defined By You" mantra. It will be a while, but Snakeoil will slowly become more and more flexible down the road. Smile 

Thks for the response, this causes you to use up your valuable time, I use this PC for testing purpose and if sound good I will port it to my fanless but simple and low powered PC. I am currently using Daphile if Snakeoil proves good I will switch. 
I am using a TP link Wifi USB card based on Real Semiconductor hardware, don't know the model number but can find out if you need it.
If you can't solve this problem I can use another PC.  Thks for your time.
(04-Jun-2019, 11:32 AM)ttan98 Wrote: [ -> ]Thks for the response, this causes you to use up your valuable time, I use this PC for testing purpose and if sound good I will port it to my fanless but simple and low powered PC. I am currently using Daphile if Snakeoil proves good I will switch. 
My time isn't valuable at all.. Just don't have a lot of it.. Big Grin

(04-Jun-2019, 11:32 AM)ttan98 Wrote: [ -> ]I am using a TP link Wifi USB card based on Real Semiconductor hardware, don't know the model number but can find out if you need it.
Snakeoil OS works in LiveCD mode. So you can actually just boot up the USB on your primary rig just to get a hear/feel about it. Will let you know once I built the kernel. Hopefully later tonight.
(05-Jun-2019, 09:35 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-Jun-2019, 11:32 AM)ttan98 Wrote: [ -> ]Thks for the response, this causes you to use up your valuable time, I use this PC for testing purpose and if sound good I will port it to my fanless but simple and low powered PC. I am currently using Daphile if Snakeoil proves good I will switch. 
My time isn't valuable at all.. Just don't have a lot of it.. Big Grin
(04-Jun-2019, 11:32 AM)ttan98 Wrote: [ -> ]I am using a TP link Wifi USB card based on Real Semiconductor hardware, don't know the model number but can find out if you need it.
Snakeoil OS works in LiveCD mode. So you can actually just boot up the USB on your primary rig just to get a hear/feel about it. Will let you know once I built the kernel. Hopefully later tonight. 

Managed to install in another laptop but Snakeoil cannot detect wireless card works with the Ethernet RJ45 connection only.

ALso, update to FW 1.1.5 also installed Spotify connect, How do I get access to Spotify?
Pages: 1 2