Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Kernel panic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there

New user trying to install Snake Oil OS.  Forgive me if this covered elsewhere (I did search).

Getting "Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x0000000b"

Steps taken:

- Using latest SnakeOil ISO i686-1.1.iso.
- Loaded on 8gb flash drive with Rufus.
- Ensure SATA AHCI mode is enabled (it was).
- Using i7 HP Pavilion, boot to menu, choose SnakeOil GUI (also did SnakeOil Ram option).
- Ends in Kernal Panic error as stated.  Machine locks up.

Any ideas?

Am trying to create SSD with SnakeOil OS on it using the i7 machine for configuring etc.  Once done I will transfer SSD over to headless ITX machine (currently used as Roon End Point using RAAT on Windows 10 Pro).  Aim is to establish if SQ better using SnakeOil OS as compared to Windows 10.

Overall config:  Roon Core (on Windows 10 server) > ethernet > Mini ITX (Windows 10 with Roon RAAT) > USB > Metrum DAC > LDR Pre > Radford Valve > Tannoy Berkeley. 

Cheers
Edward

London, UK

Just for completeness I tried the USB flashdrive in both a USB 2 and USB 3 slot.  The flashdrive itself is USB2.  Same kernel panic error.
Looks like it couldn't find the right drivers for something, can you look at the lines before this panic and let me know what it is?

If you're going to be online in the next 10 hours, can you give me a link to the specs of i7 HP Pavilion? I'm at work so can't google that atm. Will check the specs later if I can.c
(09-Sep-2019, 08:06 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like it couldn't find the right drivers for something, can you look at the lines before this panic and let me know what it is?

If you're going to be online in the next 10 hours, can you give me a link to the specs of i7 HP Pavilion? I'm at work so can't google that atm. Will check the specs later if I can.c

Hi Kith

Thanks for your message and I agree it is possibly a driver issue. I can't get to the machine right now but it is a HP P6-2295EA.  However looking at HP's website I see it is no longer listed which is weird.

Anyway as the HP was only going to be used to create the SSD I need for another machine (the mini itx machine)  I think I'll just do it all on the ITX machine rather than faff around with the HP machine.

After I posted my message here I booted the flash drive on a notebook and that worked fine - but of course I did not proceed with an install.  So I rather suspect the the HP i7 machine is 'unique' in some way.

I'll post back later on my success on the ITX machine.  Just need to find some time and it means I have no music whilst I play around with the ITX machine.
Hi Kith

I installed snakoil os on a different machine and that worked out ok.  I have some new questions but I will open a new thread.

I suspect the kernel panic error I got on the HP machine was due to a weird wifi thing I was using for which ubuntu did not have a corresponding driver. 

Edward