Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Memory leak ( 1.1.8 running on ESXI 6.7 )
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello
I'm runing 1.1.8 version on Vmware ESXI 6.7 with settings:CPU - 1 vCPUs Memory - 4 GB Hard disk 1 - 8 GB

SnakeOil runs as roon server only

First time I assign 2 GB RAM, but utilization show 100% from the beggining. When I assign more memory iot looks like that roon server consummates all in 1h period. Is it memory leak or normal situation ?
[Image: Zrzut-ekranu-2020-02-15-o-15-53-22.png] 

[Image: Zrzut-ekranu-2020-02-15-o-15-49-29.png]

[Image: Zrzut-ekranu-2020-02-15-o-15-50-48.png]
(15-Feb-2020, 10:57 PM)barni Wrote: [ -> ]First time I assign 2 GB RAM, but utilization show 100% from the beggining. When I assign more memory iot looks like that roon server consummates all in 1h period. Is it memory leak or normal situation ?
A memory leak occurs when an application allocates memory for use, but forget to release the block back to the system when the application is done with it. In a memory leak situation, the application will eventually crash when it continues to try and allocate memory, and fail.

Thus in general, if there is a memory leak, the application will crash after a while. But this isn't always the case, so you can also refer to the logs file (if any) and see if it's doing that. I don't use Roon so can't really trouble shoot this. According to Roon's requirements, it requires 4 GB RAM minimum (Link).

IIRC, Roon is written in C#, so it doesn't have memory leak. Mono (C# run time for Linux) is written in C so it might have a memory leak. If you want, you can update the version of Mono on your Snakeoil PC and see if that fixes things.

Also, look at the first few rows of top. It will tell you if the memory is used for application, or for caching. If it's in the latter, then in general it'll be safe.

Looking at Top as well, it seems the CPU is in excessive load (>40%). Are you doing any DSP work? If yes, consider:
  1. Increase vCPU (At least 2)
  2. Pass through the GPU and use that for processing (assuming Roon supports GPU offload?)
  3. Make sure you have vmware client installed. It will imrove memory management between host <-> VM