Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Quick Start Guide to Install Snakeoil
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a quick start guide and a summary on the steps needed to download, install and configure Snakeoil. Here are some things you need to know before we start:
  • Snakeoil is designed and tested on Atom based mITX motherboards. Download the ISO that best matches your computer system architeture.
  • Only Intel and Realtek network cards are supported at this stage
  • The computer needed to be connected to a network that can automatically assign IP address
  • There are two ways of installing (both will look and behave the same),
    • Remote install using VNC (Click here if you're unfamiliar with this utility). This password is Password1.
    • The good'ol way of physically connecting a monitor, PC keyboard and a normal PC mouse (mouse/keyboard that require special drivers may not work). There is no password, you will see the installer screen straight away.
  • Once the LiveCD has booted up, the FQDN is snakeoil or snakeoil.local. If these two names don't work, look up the leased address from your DHCP server (usually your router).
  • During installation, the user name and password is for your future use if you want to dig deeper into the Linux world. This user account is not used by Snakeoil.
Installation StepsFollow these steps to install
  1. Download the latest ISO file from the Forums: Link
  2. Create the LiveCD (Read this if you havn't done ths before)
  3. Connect the machine you want to install on a Netowrk. Turn it on.
  4. If doing remote install - identify the IP address of the computer (or you can try the computer snakeoil) and remotely connect using VNC (Password is Password1)
  5. Follow the Ubiquity install wizard to install the OS onto a local storage, remove LiveCD and click the reboot button.
  6. Start a web browser from your computer and connect to the machine (http://new_machine_name_you_provided_earlier/)
  7. Go through all the tabs from left to right to configure Snakeoil
  8. Copy your files to new_machine_name_you_provided_earlier/music and your playlist to new_machine_name_you_provided_earlier/playlists
  9. Start your player remote control app
  10. Hit play
  11. Donate if you like what you're hearing
Follow this video to install Snakeoil:
Hi Agent Kith
i am runing os 0.14 on Intel Atom mini ITX
i would like to upgrade.
created the install folder inside the music folder
BUT the file is .fw , it is not a deb.
the installation fails, waiting for a .deb
i am doing something wrong, i know....
can you please remove my installation fogs...?
(18-Dec-2016, 04:41 AM)traver02 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Agent Kith
i am runing os 0.14 on Intel Atom mini ITX
i would like to upgrade.
created the install folder inside the music folder
BUT the file is .fw , it is not a deb.
the installation fails, waiting for a .deb
i am doing something wrong, i know....
can you please remove my installation fogs...?

Hi there Traver. Follow the video below to upgrade your 0.1.4 to the prereview release. (The video is a bit out of date but the steps are the same).