Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Snakeoil Installer - 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Finally taking some time to put Gear Isolation to work on the eeebox eb 1036 (Celeron J1900 2 GHz , Quadcore - g GB, for now - SSD 30 GB, for test)
Installed Ubuntu 20.04 and now in the process to put it on service of Snake Oil OS.
One doubt that arrived on my head: Would it work with Linux Lite or Puppy? Asking that because i have the feeling that there's a lot in this Ubuntu that would not be needed to the sound.
Got all the updates and other doubt arrives - should i turn firewall on? (Already have one in the router, anyway)

Also got an older eeebox eb1012 (Intel Atom D510 1.66 GHz dual core) that after a few restarts is running SnakeOil OS 1.1.10 ssd that was previously in the wife's laptop. I feel it a bit slower to react , but seems a viable option if something wrong happens with 1.2 on the other.

Besides being a bit slower to react due to less powerful cpu, is there any sound differences between distinct hardware? (Using same external dac, amplifier and so)

Thanks for your great work , @agent_kith 
Will give more feedback as soon as 1.2 is running - will test first on Ubuntu

Edit: Been looking for the way to save configuration in 1.1.10, but cannot find it - Maybe it's in some obvious place, but i cannot see it?
Did you install Snakeoil over a Full Ubuntu 20.04 ?? There would be lots not needed there then !

The Installation Documentation says to use Ubuntu 20.04 Server as the base... it is quite lite, probably as lite, if not lighter, than Puppy.
(23-May-2021, 08:26 AM)Bromf Wrote: [ -> ]Did you install Snakeoil over a Full Ubuntu 20.04 ?? There would be lots not needed there then !

The Installation Documentation says to use Ubuntu 20.04 Server as the base... it is quite lite, probably as lite, if not lighter, than Puppy.

Hum... I guess i didn't realized that. To be honest i had installed it before, on my last attempt to make SnakeOil work on eeebox , but was having issues, so did the test to install full ubuntu on that ssd - and computer worked well, so i guessed hardware was fine.
Will install server then Smile

Are you sure Server is lighter than Puppy or Linux lite? The server ISO i'm downloading is a bit over a GB, quite more than the other two...

https://fossbytes.com/best-lightweight-linux-distros/
(23-May-2021, 08:38 AM)jose Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-May-2021, 08:26 AM)Bromf Wrote: [ -> ]Did you install Snakeoil over a Full Ubuntu 20.04 ?? There would be lots not needed there then !

Hum... I guess i didn't realized that. To be honest i had installed it before, on my last attempt to make SnakeOil work on eeebox , but was having issues, so did the test to install full ubuntu on that ssd - and computer worked well, so i guessed hardware was fine.

Are you sure Server is lighter than Puppy or Linux lite? The server ISO i'm downloading is a bit over a GB, quite more than the other two...

Lighter in performance...not download size Wink
There is no Desktop or preinstalled apps. Just a base headless server then Snakeoil installs only those packages needed. Smile

There is an alternative Installer for the server version that is a smaller download and worked better on my hardware...Ymmv
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-legacy...1/release/
(23-May-2021, 08:46 AM)Bromf Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-May-2021, 08:38 AM)jose Wrote: [ -> ]

Lighter in performance...not download size Wink
There is no Desktop or preinstalled apps. Just a base headless server then Snakeoil installs only those packages needed. Smile

There is an alternative Installer for the server version that is a smaller download and worked better on my hardware...Ymmv
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-legacy...1/release/

Ah, ok. Makes sense Smile
Thanks for the head's up
(23-May-2021, 07:53 AM)jose Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: Been looking for the way to save configuration in 1.1.10, but cannot find it - Maybe it's in some obvious place, but i cannot see it?
In System tab, you should see the "Backup" button
(23-May-2021, 09:32 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-May-2021, 07:53 AM)jose Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: Been looking for the way to save configuration in 1.1.10, but cannot find it - Maybe it's in some obvious place, but i cannot see it?
In System tab, you should see the "Backup" button

[Image: system.png]

Cant see it...
(23-May-2021, 12:05 PM)jose Wrote: [ -> ][Image: system.png]
Cant see it...

Mmmm, it should appear to the right of the Update Ubuntu button.  What version of SnakeOil are you on?  Not sure what firmware version it came out in, but guessing either 1.1.9 or 1.1.10??
(23-May-2021, 12:21 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-May-2021, 12:05 PM)jose Wrote: [ -> ][Image: system.png]

Cant see it...

Mmmm, it should appear to the right of the Update Ubuntu button.  What version of SnakeOil are you on?  Not sure what firmware version it came out in, but guessing either 1.1.9 or 1.1.10??

[Image: Captura-de-ecr-2021-05-23-06-45-19.png]
I'm on 1.1.10...
Backup may be for activated edition only? I will have to double check...

As for other distros, in theory any debian based system should work, but this first script is looking for Ubuntu as a first try. Will expand onto other distros once the GUI is finished.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13