Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: upmpdcli mpd and LMS -- set up help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
EDIT: OK, now upmpdcli shows up as a selectable server.  But mpd library is not available to select. So is it not seeing mpd?

What needs to be in the upmpdcli.conf to expose the mpd library??

================================================

So I tried this guide from sankeoil here  https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Players...sic_server

But I don't think it is what I want, because I cant get upmpdcli to do anything.  If upmpdcli-mpd shows up as renderer in LMS then LMS is playing music TO mpd, is that right? Can you pht's not what I want exactly. Can you please answer some finer points?

1a. What I want to happen -- my receiver to access mpd audio via Upnp.  So if I got it right my receiver should show up as a renderer to mpd via upnp for mpd.  I want the mpd audio to render on my receiver.  Is this the job of upmpdcli ?

2.  I am on the v1.2.2 beta version and Ubuntu server 20. Do I need to install upmpdcli or is that the one already on the dashboard?

3.  What are the steps to get this working using the dashboard version of mpd. upmpdcli. and LMS etc?

I will need a little bit of hand-holding here if you don't mind......a few steps outlined should be very appreciated.

Regards!
(05-Feb-2022, 08:42 AM)pathetic Wrote: [ -> ]So I tried this guide from sankeoil here  https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Players...sic_server

But I don't think it is what I want, because I cant get upmpdcli to do anything.  If upmpdcli-mpd shows up as renderer in LMS then LMS is playing music TO mpd, is that right? Can you pht's not what I want exactly. Can you please answer some finer points?
What is pht's?

(05-Feb-2022, 08:42 AM)pathetic Wrote: [ -> ]1a. What I want to happen -- my receiver to access mpd audio via Upnp.  So if I got it right my receiver should show up as a renderer to mpd via upnp for mpd.  I want the mpd audio to render on my receiver.  Is this the job of upmpdcli ?
UPnP turns MPD into a UPnP renderer (Which means playback device). Your Receiver (AVR) is also a UPnP renderer. So this will not do what you want.
If you want to send audio to your receiver, you'll need to install something called a UPnP server.

Do do what you want, you'll need to install the "UPnP/DLNA Media Interface" plugin inside LMS. or start UPnP servers like Minimserver or Plex.

(05-Feb-2022, 08:42 AM)pathetic Wrote: [ -> ]2.  I am on the v1.2.2 beta version and Ubuntu server 20. Do I need to install upmpdcli or is that the one already on the dashboard?
upmpdcli is not installed by default. You can go to Snakeoil -> Software, find upmpdcli from the list, check it, and click save. But remember, this turns your MPD into a renderer, not a server.

(05-Feb-2022, 08:42 AM)pathetic Wrote: [ -> ]3.  What are the steps to get this working using the dashboard version of mpd. upmpdcli. and LMS etc?
See above. point 1.

For me using upmpdcli + mpd + LMS makes integration of Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz and Internet radio to MPD easier. I.e. if you like the audio quality of MPD, but miss those integrations, this will be the right combination to use. Limitation right now is upmpdcli and mpd has to be run on the same PC.

For audiophiles chasing higher end fidelity, Gear Isolation U2 makes it to run a 2 machine set-up where:

1. First machine runs LMS + upmpdcli
2. Second highly optimised machine running MPD.

You'll still need to SSH into the machine and fine-tune configuration files to do the above. Setting for this is not available into the GUI yet. But at least it's more flexible now. Obviously you can do a 3 machine setup with upmpdcli running on it's own machine. Tweaking out the network and customised kernels for such a set up might be interesting. E.g. optimise the network for machine running LMS and upmpdcli, and optmise the latency and audio output of the machine with DAC.

Either on full fledged computer systems, or on clustering boards like the Turing Pi.

So Snakeoil continues to realise the "Designed by us, defined by you" philosophy. You can turn your Snakeoil setup into something really really crazy, and the WebApp for the most part makes it really really easy for you to do so.
(05-Feb-2022, 09:48 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-Feb-2022, 08:42 AM)pathetic Wrote: [ -> ]So I tried this guide from sankeoil here  https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Players...sic_server

What is pht's?

(05-Feb-2022, 08:42 AM)pathetic Wrote: [ -> ]1a. What I want to happen -- my receiver to access mpd audio via Upnp.  So if I got it right my receiver should show up as a renderer to mpd via upnp for mpd.  I want the mpd audio to render on my receiver.  Is this the job of upmpdcli ?
UPnP turns MPD into a UPnP renderer (Which means playback device). Your Receiver (AVR) is also a UPnP renderer. So this will not do what you want.
If you want to send audio to your receiver, you'll need to install something called a UPnP server.

Do do what you want, you'll need to install the "UPnP/DLNA Media Interface" plugin inside LMS. or start UPnP servers like Minimserver or Plex.

(05-Feb-2022, 08:42 AM)pathetic Wrote: [ -> ]2.  I am on the v1.2.2 beta version and Ubuntu server 20. Do I need to install upmpdcli or is that the one already on the dashboard?
upmpdcli is not installed by default. You can go to Snakeoil -> Software, find upmpdcli from the list, check it, and click save. But remember, this turns your MPD into a renderer, not a server.

(05-Feb-2022, 08:42 AM)pathetic Wrote: [ -> ]3.  What are the steps to get this working using the dashboard version of mpd. upmpdcli. and LMS etc?
See above. point 1.

For me using upmpdcli + mpd + LMS makes integration of Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz and Internet radio to MPD easier. I.e. if you like the audio quality of MPD, but miss those integrations, this will be the right combination to use. Limitation right now is upmpdcli and mpd has to be run on the same PC.

For audiophiles chasing higher end fidelity, Gear Isolation U2 makes it to run a 2 machine set-up where:

You'll still need to SSH into the machine and fine-tune configuration files to do the above. Setting for this is not available into the GUI yet. But at least it's more flexible now. Obviously you can do a 3 machine setup with upmpdcli running on it's own machine. Tweaking out the network and customised kernels for such a set up might be interesting. E.g. optimise the network for machine running LMS and upmpdcli, and optmise the latency and audio output of the machine with DAC.

Either on full fledged computer systems, or on clustering boards like the Turing Pi.

So Snakeoil continues to realise the "Designed by us, defined by you" philosophy. You can turn your Snakeoil setup into something really really crazy, and the WebApp for the most part makes it really really easy for you to do so.

I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR YOUR REPLY SO QUICKLY!! Thank YOU!!

I immediately realized what I was doing was wrong........I have fidgeted with all this for 3-4 days non-stop.......my brain is fried! 

Firstly, yes, I prefer mpd for playing audio for now.  So running minimserver etc, is kind of for later.

So for this:
** Here on comp1 -- that is NOT snakeoil --I want to point upmpdcli to the ip address of mpd on snakeoil, is that correct?

** Here of course this is snakeoil mpd.  This will send music to LMS via upmpdcli, is that right? That audio will play on comp1 above.

By any chance then, will upmpdcli on comp1 also broadcast to other renderers.  Like my receiver?
(05-Feb-2022, 11:08 AM)pathetic Wrote: [ -> ]So for this:
** Here on comp1 -- that is NOT snakeoil --I want to point upmpdcli to the ip address of mpd on snakeoil, is that correct?

** Here of course this is snakeoil mpd.  This will send music to LMS via upmpdcli, is that right? That audio will play on comp1 above.

By any chance then, will upmpdcli on comp1 also broadcast to other renderers.  Like my receiver?
No. upmpdcli is a renderer, not a server. You'll want to install LMS on comp1 with the UPnP/DLNA server plugin enabled (UPnP/DLNA Media Interface). Not upmpdcli. And yes configured this way, you can also send music from comp1 to your receiver.

And comp2 will be upmpdcli+MPD.

It's getting really hot in Perth right now and my brains is fried.. For now, just install the UPnP/DLNA Bridge and UPnPDLNA Media Interface plugins on LMS. And then using a UpNP remote controller, experiment around the devices you can see (media server, and playback devices) and hopefully you'll get the idea.

I'll rest for the day, and start working on the Wiki, hopefully can have more information in there.
Hello,
 my name is Sredoje.
 I have two NUCs:
1. BOXNUC7i5BNK (music system "A") and
2.  BLKNUC7i3DNK (music system "B").

I prefer MPD player and using Tidal.

My idea was, two NUCs with the same configuration:
 Snakeoil with MPD+UPMPdcli+LMS.

I installed the first one on a NUC-2: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and Snakeoil with Installer.
 I am very satisfied with the result, how it works: MPD+UPMPdcli+LMS and Tidal with MQA are famous.
 On other NUC-1 I put: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS server and Snakeoil with installer also. With Snakeoil: MPD+UPMPdcli+ LMS, I have a problem.
 LMS can't see Upmp/dlna player...I guess because LMS can't configure Upmp/dlna bridge ~30s (several minutes).
 What do I have to do to make the same machine as the first NUC.
 What do I have to do with Upnp/dlna bridge because I cannot to configure bridge.(Tidal sampling rate......)?
(03-Mar-2023, 06:55 AM)Sredoje Wrote: [ -> ] LMS can't see Upmp/dlna player...I guess because LMS can't configure Upmp/dlna bridge ~30s (several minutes).
 What do I have to do to make the same machine as the first NUC.
 What do I have to do with Upnp/dlna bridge because I cannot to configure bridge.(Tidal sampling rate......)?
Like you I have a running 20.04 LMS upmpdcli instance.

On my 22.04 setup, I can get the UPnP/dlna bridge to configure. Sometimes it takes a few "erase" and "generate" to get the configuration and you need to select a Binary in the settings for the Bridge. But I think there is a bug because I cannot see the player.
Using Ubunto 22.04.1 LTS, SnakeOil 1.2.10 LMS 8.3.1 UPnP/dnla Bridge v2.1.8
Got mine running  Forgot to start the bridge! Blush 
There are 3 important settings.  Start the bridge, select binary and generate configuration file.

[Image: Upnp-bridge.jpg]

free image hosting site
So, I was previously using Snakeoil OS with upmpdcli as a renderer to my Daphile server in another room, with the UPnP/DLNA Bridge plugin and was very happy with the sound.

However, it stopped working and I couldn't work it out, until today when I verified that it's due to a wifi router upgrade I did (to two TP-Link Deco x75 Pros, using a wired backhaul). The renderer end is attached to one mesh unit, and the server end to the other in my study.  Verified that running up SnakeOil in a VM (also in the study) and shazam - UPnP/DLNA Bridge could suddenly see the new renderer.

I have the UPNP setting checked in the TP-Link Deco configuration app - so don't know how to re-enable discovery - anybody else had experience with anything like this kind of setup and solved it?

I have had success when running logitech media server on the Snakeoil machine, but I would much prefer to have a remote LMS server.
(07-Nov-2023, 05:16 PM)krebetman Wrote: [ -> ]I have the UPNP setting checked in the TP-Link Deco configuration app - so don't know how to re-enable discovery - anybody else had experience with anything like this kind of setup and solved it?
Look for anything that says multicasting, multicast or IGMP and toggle them (if they're on, turn them off or vice versa). And see how that goes.

I will actually keep UPnP off always.. If you turn on UPnP on the router that has the potential of opening up your firewall automatically (port forwarding) and that potentially could mean people can access your things from the Internet. As an example if you look for the Internet about how hackers gain access to home security cameras, etc. That's done via UPnP.
(11-Nov-2023, 08:01 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ] 
(07-Nov-2023, 05:16 PM)krebetman Wrote: [ -> ]I have the UPNP setting checked in the TP-Link Deco configuration app - so don't know how to re-enable discovery - anybody else had experience with anything like this kind of setup and solved it?
Look for anything that says multicasting, multicast or IGMP and toggle them (if they're on, turn them off or vice versa). And see how that goes.

I will actually keep UPnP off always.. If you turn on UPnP on the router that has the potential of opening up your firewall automatically (port forwarding) and that potentially could mean people can access your things from the Internet. As an example if you look for the Internet about how hackers gain access to home security cameras, etc. That's done via UPnP.

Thanks, AK.  Have tried various things but in the end, rewired around the routers. 
and then decided I still prefer squeezelite anyway, which doesn't have that challenge.
Pages: 1 2