Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Possible to connect out of HDMI instead of USB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, I'm getting a DAC that has I2S support.

Would it be possible to connect my Intel NUCs only HDMI port to my new DACs I2S port?

Maybe I'm totally off track....and a video HDMI port cannot be repurposed for I2S use.
(23-Apr-2022, 12:01 AM)emptor Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all, I'm getting a DAC that has I2S support.

Would it be possible to connect my Intel NUCs only HDMI port to my new DACs I2S port?

Maybe I'm totally off track....and a video HDMI port cannot be repurposed for I2S use.

Even though they have the same shaped connector, there is a pinout difference.  However, for the best sound quality, it is essential to get a better reclocker.  Suggest one of these;
https://www.denafrips.com/ddc
(23-Apr-2022, 06:35 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-Apr-2022, 12:01 AM)emptor Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all, I'm getting a DAC that has I2S support.

Even though they have the same shaped connector, there is a pinout difference.  However, for the best sound quality, it is essential to get a better reclocker.  Suggest one of these;
https://www.denafrips.com/ddc

Thx heaps snoopy!
What Snoopy said.

HDMI and I2S are fundamentally different protocols so it wouldn't work anyway.

Note that HDMI has a 5V power pin, and depending on your DAC's implementation, feeding power to it might damage the DAC. I'm unsure what are the odds of this happening, but I wouldn't risk connecting.
(23-Apr-2022, 11:19 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]What Snoopy said.

Note that HDMI has a 5V power pin, and depending on your DAC's implementation, feeding power to it might damage the DAC. I'm unsure what are the odds of this happening, but I wouldn't risk connecting.

Thx agent kith. I'm keeping my eye out on the automatic custom kernel. Really appreciate the great work.
(23-Apr-2022, 01:02 PM)emptor Wrote: [ -> ]

Thx agent kith. I'm keeping my eye out on the automatic custom kernel. Really appreciate the great work.

Still in the midst of clearing up a room with 10+ years of things packed in it. 1/3 of the room (far end) is now claimed, but that just means 2/3 of the room is still stacked full of stuffs. Rolleyes Just got Internet working nowish. Gonna do some work today and tomorrow, but hopefully that'll clear the things out of the way and I can go back to the kernel builder again.
(24-Apr-2022, 09:47 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-Apr-2022, 01:02 PM)emptor Wrote: [ -> ]

Still in the midst of clearing up a room with 10+ years of things packed in it. 1/3 of the room (far end) is now claimed, but that just means 2/3 of the room is still stacked full of stuffs. Rolleyes Just got Internet working nowish. Gonna do some work today and tomorrow, but hopefully that'll clear the things out of the way and I can go back to the kernel builder again.

I'm already in music heaven so everything you do is a bonus. 🙂

The easiest way is get a DDC.  Here is a list and the Singxer SU-6 is probably the most cost effective.
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic...e-testing/

Please note that, for some reason, I could not get it to work with my NUC and setup but I know someone using their NUC with it.
I2S is great!!!!
I strongly recommend testing it over USB
you need a specific board (i use Pink Faun Bridge)

BUT:
- there is no I2S/Hdmi standard, you need to know the pinout diagram
- you need a specific hdmi cable for audio (and even for your specific Dac)
- the cable should be very very short....let's say 50 cm
- apart from the PF I2S bridge you could spend 60 USD for the cable.....and it is done