Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Snakeoil Firmware - 1.2.8 (Gear Isolation U8)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Introduction
This is a quick release fixing some bad bugs from previous version. Namely WebApp is broken when you are not connected to the Internet.

As mentioned previously I'm still very much focusing on my day job for now so have little time to work on Snakeoil after hours. Hopefully in a few weeks time I can resume my work on the kernel builder and get that out. The release of Kernel builder will probably mark it as v1.3.0 I think, but until hen Gear Isolation updates rolls on.

Enjoy.

Change log
Download Links[attachment=482]
(SHA1: 6903dbadaa77ac0b04657a5e861375de4073c7c9)[attachment=483]
(SHA1: ddc790ab9ed14fe5b8ca2debaf93518a70085466)
How can a Webapp connect to the local server without an internet connection? My ISP provides a modem/router combined box, and when it is out of service due to firmware update, there is no LAN or wifi (or LMS)
(13-Oct-2022, 05:21 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: [ -> ]How can a Webapp connect to the local server without an internet connection? My ISP provides a modem/router combined box, and when it is out of service due to firmware update, there is no LAN or wifi (or LMS)

Adding a switch, and then connecting your pc and SnakeOil server by LAN cable to that switch.  Then your PC and SnakeOil will not be affected by router at all.  If your music files are stored in the pc, you'll find the adding a switch improves the sound quality to certain extend.
(13-Oct-2022, 05:21 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: [ -> ]How can a Webapp connect to the local server without an internet connection? My ISP provides a modem/router combined box, and when it is out of service due to firmware update, there is no LAN or wifi (or LMS)
WebApp is running on the local server, so that works without an Internet connection.

However, the WebApp requires some fonts from the Internet, without an Internet connection that will sometimes fails. The fix now hosts those files location so no Internet connection is required and you can run the WebApp from now on (i.e. you can cut off the Snakeoil PC off the Internet after the initial installation step). Without those resources the WebApp display goes all quirky.

Ironically this bug is very rare because those resources that is pulled off the Internet is often only performed once and never again. Recently changes to try and disable this caching exposes this problem. And to add insult to injury the disable caching is still not 100% working for some reason. Sad

So now, when your Internet goes out, you'll still be able to use the Snakeoil WebApp ROFL .
(13-Oct-2022, 09:45 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]

Adding a switch, and then connecting your pc and SnakeOil server by LAN cable to that switch.  Then your PC and SnakeOil will not be affected by router at all.  If your music files are stored in the pc, you'll find the adding a switch improves the sound quality to certain extend.

Thanks. I will look into this.
If the ethernet switch replaces the LAN ports on the ISP modem/router, can these obtain DHCP addresses? We have very stable DHCP addresses at the moment, which is good because our modem doesn't allow fixed IP addresses. If the squeezebox touch is on the switch rather than the modem, it's going to get a new IP address, unless we specify MAC address to an IP address.
About the install, I followed the video and browsed to the downloaded .fw. The install stalled staying on processing....
I noticed the 'Update OS' option, and after a reboot I tried it. The new firmware was installed presumably by ftp.
How do others update fw?
(14-Oct-2022, 06:32 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: [ -> ]About the install, I followed the video and browsed to the downloaded .fw. The install stalled staying on processing....
I noticed the 'Update OS' option, and after a reboot I tried it. The new firmware was installed presumably by ftp.
How do others update fw?
Go to system and drop the FW into the install box. It shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to install (Pi may be slower depending on the storage you're using). This is the Snakeoil bits that runs on top of Ubuntu.

"Update OS" is updating the Ubuntu system itself. OS means Operating System, which means Ubuntu.
I have installed the system update to 1.2.8 but my lms is still old version 7.9.
How to change it?
(24-Oct-2022, 04:35 PM)[email protected] Wrote: [ -> ]I have installed the system update to 1.2.8 but my lms is still old version 7.9.
How to change it?
Oh dang. I think the script only checks if LMS Is installed, and didn't check if the version. i.e. if 7 is installed, it will not install 8.

For now, can you run "sudo apt remove logitechmediaserver" then run the installer again? This should install LMS 8.

Note this should keep all your existing databases intact, but I'm not 100% certain as I havn't done this yet.
(25-Oct-2022, 08:09 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-Oct-2022, 04:35 PM)[email protected] Wrote: [ -> ]I have installed the system update to 1.2.8 but my lms is still old version 7.9.
How to change it?
Oh dang. I think the script only checks if LMS Is installed, and didn't check if the version. i.e. if 7 is installed, it will not install 8.

For now, can you run "sudo apt remove logitechmediaserver" then run the installer again? This should install LMS 8.

Note this should keep all your existing databases intact, but I'm not 100% certain as I havn't done this yet.

ok
Pages: 1 2 3 4