Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Pi4 fresh install no upmpdcli
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well it's been a while since I did a fresh install but with the newish Debian 11 and 1.2.6 installer I figured I'd give it a whirl and see if there are any sonic differences and also to see if I had better luck with the new installer. In short I had some issues. To be fair, I had the same issues with the original 1.2.0 installer but found "workarounds". Here are my issues:

1. Upmpdcli will not install straight from the software screen until a new repository key and sources.list.d file are obtained and put in their appropriate directories followed by reboot.

2. Once upmpdcli is installed it will not work properly unless you follow directions from this thread and reinstall MPD. Problem is, after doing so I am unable to select a different output (Allo DigiOne, USB, etc.). Or to be more specific, the sound always comes from the same output regardless of what you select.

3. Ever since 1.2 I can no longer use Custom Audio Output to do things like upsampling.

Maybe these are easy fixes, maybe not. Just curious if others have had these issues on the Rpi platform. BTW, I was able to install RoonBridge on the new install and there are definitely sonic differences. More transparency, more depth and width in soundstage, slightly leaner sound but not overly bright. Overall an improvement  Thumbs Up
(28-Sep-2022, 07:34 PM)mkysimes Wrote: [ -> ]Well it's been a while since I did a fresh install but with the newish Debian 11 and 1.2.6 installer I figured I'd give it a whirl and see if there are any sonic differences and also to see if I had better luck with the new installer. In short I had some issues. To be fair, I had the same issues with the original 1.2.0 installer but found "workarounds". Here are my issues:

1. Upmpdcli will not install straight from the software screen until a new repository key and sources.list.d file are obtained and put in their appropriate directories followed by reboot.

2. Once upmpdcli is installed it will not work properly unless you follow directions from this thread and reinstall MPD. Problem is, after doing so I am unable to select a different output (Allo DigiOne, USB, etc.). Or to be more specific, the sound always comes from the same output regardless of what you select.

3. Ever since 1.2 I can no longer use Custom Audio Output to do things like upsampling.

Maybe these are easy fixes, maybe not. Just curious if others have had these issues on the Rpi platform. BTW, I was able to install RoonBridge on the new install and there are definitely sonic differences. More transparency, more depth and width in soundstage, slightly leaner sound but not overly bright. Overall an improvement  Thumbs Up
My bad. Been meaning to clean up the RPi build but been focusing on my new job lately.

My next focus will be on kernel builder (again primary on the x86_64 platform for now). Once that is done I will go into RPi platform and fix everything up (including the custom RT kernel for RPi).

Are you using 32 bits or 64 bits Raspbian btw? 

upmpdcli shouldd be fixed in 1.2.7 if not wrong. Changed the way that works so it will almost always pull in the new key every time.
(30-Sep-2022, 08:14 AM)agent_kith Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-Sep-2022, 07:34 PM)mkysimes Wrote: [ -> ]Well it's been a while since I did a fresh install but with the newish Debian 11 and 1.2.6 installer I figured I'd give it a whirl and see if there are any sonic differences and also to see if I had better luck with the new installer. In short I had some issues. To be fair, I had the same issues with the original 1.2.0 installer but found "workarounds". Here are my issues:

My bad. Been meaning to clean up the RPi build but been focusing on my new job lately.

My next focus will be on kernel builder (again primary on the x86_64 platform for now). Once that is done I will go into RPi platform and fix everything up (including the custom RT kernel for RPi).

Are you using 32 bits or 64 bits Raspbian btw? 

upmpdcli shouldd be fixed in 1.2.7 if not wrong. Changed the way that works so it will almost always pull in the new key every time.
Using 32 bit 1.2.8 right now. Will bump down to 1.2.7 and give it a shot. 

No problem at all. Just figured I'd let you know about the issues when you get time to poke around. Have 2 semi-working installs based off 1.2 installer. As mentioned only issues on those installs are not being able to select output for MPD/upmpdcli and custom output but I primarily use the Digione hat anyway and that works fine. Just didn't want to ruin the new install by manually installing MPD and swapping config.

Thanks for the response!