Snakeoil Forums

Full Version: Play Windows Media?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

First time poster here but I searched before posting.

Setup: Ubuntu 22.04 Server, Snakeoil OS 1.2.8 (Gear Isolation U8) Free Edition
LMS + Squeezelite (v1.6.4) (currently, tried them all)
USB DAC
I plays all other formats, DSD FLAC etc...

Problem:
WMA Lossless (extension .WMA) doesn't play with the error like below

Slim:Tonguelayer::Song::open (417) Error: Couldn't create command line for wma playback for [file:///data/Music/...]

I found and enabled "Play Windows Media" plugin which doesn't have any configuration options. LMS restarted. Didn't help.

In File Types against WMA types flac mp3 pcm are disabled and greyed out, only option is Native or Disabled.

[Image: scr.png]

Any ideas?
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, I do not use WMA, and can only do a Google search. Have you looked at this:
https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WMA.html
I believe you need both ffmpeg and lame to enable WMA playback. And it should be installed in your Snakeoil PC. Can you confirm by SSH into your Snakeoil PC and run these commands? Did it find the right path or not?

Code:
which ffmpeg
which lame
Love you both [b]agent_kith [/b]and [b]Snoopy8[/b]

a simple

# apt install ffmpeg
# apt install lame

done it!

What a lovely solution this Snakeoil OS!  Heart Heart ​​​​​​​ Heart (I sent a tocken of my appreciation!)

May I dream? Can I listen to my colleciton while mobile in hires? Any plans?
(05-Oct-2022, 07:41 AM)RomanM Wrote: [ -> ]Love you both [b]agent_kith [/b]and [b]Snoopy8[/b]

a simple

# apt install ffmpeg
# apt install lame

done it!

What a lovely solution this Snakeoil OS!  Heart Heart Heart (I sent a tocken of my appreciation!)

May I dream? Can I listen to my colleciton while mobile in hires? Any plans?

It's great to see the problem solved.  Yet I just wonder why simply convert those wmv to wav?
(05-Oct-2022, 01:48 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-Oct-2022, 07:41 AM)RomanM Wrote: [ -> ]...

It's great to see the problem solved.  Yet I just wonder why simply convert those wmv to wav?

I didn't think about that. I don't know how to convert and I would think conversion from WM Lossless to something else would loose that losslessness? Anyway, two commands seems easy enough as a fix. Smile
(05-Oct-2022, 02:31 PM)RomanM Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-Oct-2022, 01:48 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-Oct-2022, 07:41 AM)RomanM Wrote: [ -> ]...

I didn't think about that. I don't know how to convert and I would think conversion from WM Lossless to something else would loose that losslessness? Anyway, two commands seems easy enough as a fix. Smile

1st, converting a lossless format to another lossless format, it's lossless in data.  Just like "1x5 + 0x3 = 1+1+1+1+1+0+0+0"
Yet, there are different type of wma format , Windows Media Audio - Wikipedia

2nd, "The regular WMA format is lossy."  Converting from lossy format to lossless format, the result data (not format) is still as lossy as in original format.  But,

3rd, all OS will convert all audio format back to wav ultimately in memory for process and handling.  And feeding wav into an audio system produces the most natural sound in that system.

Enjoy!